Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Watersound , Florida
Air Conditioner water

When my AC turns off a bunch of water pours out of it hitting my dinette. It's a Dometic heat pump, any suggestions.. Thanks
Saltydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Don't know if this unit has a pan with a drain line. If it does, the drain is plugged. Check for a small tube sticking down in one of the wheel wells. One the outside near the tires. Of there is a tube, try blowing it out with compressed air.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 05:33 AM   #3
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
I have a 15K Dometic heat pump in my unit. When my AC freezes up it does this. It will be putting out cold air and not seem to be frozen; but sure as the devil when you defrost it by turning it off or just running the fan it will clear right out.........God bless......Dennis
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I have 2 dometic low profile units on my 34'...the front unit is older, the rear is new and it's internal design is different. The front unit has NEVER dripped inside and the drain tube has a nice consistant drip. The new rear unit gushes water out the tube when it cycles off and every once in awhile, the gush overwhelms the drain system and pours onto the bed.

IMHO the new redesign units tend to hold the water on the coil until the fan cycles off. This causes the gush and waterfall. I increased the drain tube diameter and (knock on wood) resolved my issue.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:44 AM   #5
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
I just went through this a couple of months ago. First check the tube outside by the wheel well. If this is not clogged, then you will have to take the lower cover off of the airconditioner inside,this is what I had to do.
What I found was 1) Airstream had forced the unit down cracking the plastic end where the tube connects and 2) the pan outlet was semi clogged so the water had time to seep through the cracked outlet.
I cleaned the pan out, roughed up the area around the pan outlet where it was cracked, and put epoxy all around it. All is well so far
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:40 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
I have 2 dometic low profile units on my 34'...the front unit is older, the rear is new and it's internal design is different. The front unit has NEVER dripped inside and the drain tube has a nice consistant drip. The new rear unit gushes water out the tube when it cycles off and every once in awhile, the gush overwhelms the drain system and pours onto the bed.

IMHO the new redesign units tend to hold the water on the coil until the fan cycles off. This causes the gush and waterfall. I increased the drain tube diameter and (knock on wood) resolved my issue.
I had an early 2011 FC (built in June 2010), with the same frustrating issue: condensation would'nt drain through the tube until the unit cycled off; so, of course, in conditions of high heat and humidity, it couldn't cycle off often enough to keep up, and the excess dripped down through one of the air filters, and on to the floor. I attribute it to a design flaw in either the Dometic lower unit (the thing that looks like it came from the UFO museum in Roswell), or Airstream's drain pan, or both.

One of the first things I noticed when I picked up this 2012 (built in August 2011), is that they had made some changes, I mean "improvements" to that system, and this new one drains as it should.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
I had an early 2011 FC (built in June 2010), with the same frustrating issue:...this 2012 (built in August 2011), is that they had made some changes, I mean "improvements" to that system, and this new one drains as it should.
Well, my AC is from (about) 2010 so that make sense. I'm figuring the airflow keeps low pressure on the drain system. When the fan stops the pressure normailzes and GUSH...
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2015 20' Flying Cloud
Watersound , Florida
Thanks for all input NOW my thermostat is stuck at -5 f and my heat wont turn on?? Currently at Ft Wilderness and believe it or not it's a bit chilly and could use the heat...
Saltydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltydogs View Post
Thanks for all input NOW my thermostat is stuck at -5 f and my heat wont turn on?? Currently at Ft Wilderness and believe it or not it's a bit chilly and could use the heat...
Have you tried resetting your thermostat? The instructions are on the last page of the Dometic instruction sheet.

Good luck!

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote