Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2021, 06:28 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Brownwood , Texas
Air cond 2018 International freezing up

I went to the coast this weekend and one of my air conditioners keep freezing up , what do I need to do?
Earl Harriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 10:22 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
There are several problems that can cause your RV’s air conditioner to freeze up and stop working. The first, and most common, is that the air flow has somehow been lowered. This could be due to a dirty air filter. Remove and clean/replace the filters on the troubled unit.

Other problems include high humidity levels inside the trailer. Too much moisture will freeze on the fins of your AC. I'd discount this cause since the other AC unit is running fine.

Dirty condenser and evaporator coils, a bad thermostat and a short circuit in your control board could also be the culprits. To solve these less common problems may take some cleaning and replacing bad parts. If you aren't DIY handy and HVAC knowledgeable, then your dealer may be the next stop.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 12:06 PM   #3

1999 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
London , Harrow
Hi there!
I honestly would suggest you look into portable AC’s. They aren’t as heavy and cumbersome as you might think just from first sight and are as powerful as the stationary.

It’s nice because you don’t need to drill, cut out, modify or literally do anything with your RV, just place, plug it in and you’re good to go. I got my U-GO! last summer and it works just perfectly. I clean the filters once in a while and that’s pretty much it.

I’ve never done it yet, but it’s super comfortable to carry from one vehicle to another, just plug it in and it’s ready to go. Might come in handy if you have a friend or a family member and want to share it.
TimHrv is offline   Reply With Quote