Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2021, 06:18 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Advice, low profile Air Conditioner

I need some advice here, I'm looking for a low profile Air Conditioner for my 71 21 foot Globetrotter. Looking for 12K BTU, opinions and advice accepted..
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:20 PM   #2
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
You left out a lot of qualifiers that help direct an appropriate product to your attention. If you want 12K BTUs and are trying to stay in the 12v arena and run off lithium batteries replenished by solar research this product:

https://www.vanlifeoutfitters.com/st...r-conditioner/

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 07:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
120 vac, no heat pump..
Old 09-19-2021, 08:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
I bought a Dometic Penguin low profile 13.5k btu (non heat pump) almost 10 years ago, and have no complaints. It is low frills, no thermostat, besides the colored dial on the ceiling unit. It is quiet from outside, not particularly noisy from inside, never left me sweating. I installed an EasyStart on it this spring, and now I like it even better.

If I had to start completely from scratch, and cut a hole in the roof, I might investigate some kind of split system mounted on the tongue, not so much to change the aesthetics, as much as to reduce the overall height of the trailer (but it still wouldn't fit into a conventional garage, so might not be worth it).

This is the only data point I have, but again, not sure how it could be better, and this is rare praise from me.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
No hole yet, I'm currently making the frame support structure for the cutout. I'll be posting soon on the progress. It's good to be back at it. I blew out my right shoulder last fall and with covid couldn't get it repaired until late June. Just got the OK from the Doctor to lift more the 5 lbs the first of the week..
Old 09-20-2021, 12:10 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Good to hear you are back in the saddle. Covid stalled my rebuild a bit as well, but I am (slowly) getting my momentum back now.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Kip, we have a Penguin on the 66 that’s about 10 years old. The only thing we’ve had to do to it is add the condensate cups and a starter capacitor. No heat pump and cools down the trailer well. We took the shroud off and painted it with a silver automotive paint to make it less conspicuous. Good luck on the AC and the shoulder.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 11:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Question here. I've been looking at the Penguin II 13.5, do you have to buy the roof unit and interior unit separately?
Old 09-22-2021, 12:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
Question here. I've been looking at the Penguin II 13.5, do you have to buy the roof unit and interior unit separately?
Hey Kip,

Glad you are doing better! It depends on where you are getting the unit. Sometimes, they include the interior unit and sometimes they don't. You should check with your source to get a definite answer. If you are having any problems, please send me a private message to discuss.

Thanks!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 07:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
You left out a lot of qualifiers that help direct an appropriate product to your attention. If you want 12K BTUs and are trying to stay in the 12v arena and run off lithium batteries replenished by solar research this product:

https://www.vanlifeoutfitters.com/st...r-conditioner/

Looking at the specifications for this AC unit, it is pretty impressive. The power consumption and noise level are even slightly better than the minisplit that I installed in our son and dil’s 78 Caravanner. I would certainly consider installing one instead of a regular RV air conditioning unit. I am a bit puzzled though why they would list the cooling capacity as 12,000 btu rather than 12,000 btu/hr.

It is expensive, but then again you wouldn’t need to buy an easy start, a small generator like 1,000 watts would operate it and then it is so very quiet. I am looking forward to learning more about this air conditioner.

DanClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0682.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	404725
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...