Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Adseal To SikaFlex 221, Can Or Should It Be Done?

I have a 2019 Globetrotter with an interior ceiling leak that I think is coming from the bathroom vent/fan. I have spent hours searching the forum about
sealants but can't find advice on how to handle an Adseal leak.

Should I remove the Adseal and reseal with Adseal (Airstream tech support recomendation)? I've read many comments that silicone will not adhere to silicone, and that SikaFlex 221 is a superior sealant. Can the Adseal be removed (with what) an SikaFlex 221 be used in its place?

Much of what I've read about Adseal was early impressions, now that it has been in use on Airstreams for several years has the conventional wisdom changed?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Dave S
link2dks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Why wouldn't you follow Airstream Tech advice?
Old 04-15-2019, 03:12 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
Why wouldn't you follow Airstream Tech advice?
Because the conventional wisdom on this forum seems to be that Adseal is an inferior sealant to SikaFlex, and that Airstream may have switched to Adseal for cost reasons. Some of this information goes back to 2014.

I was hoping to get an updated opinion from some of the more knowledgeable members on this forum especially concerning trying to use silicone sealant where silicone sealant was previously used (e.g. silicone won't adhere to silicone) and if Adseal to SikaFlex would be the better option.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:04 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Waterford , New York
2019, no warranty?
Larry1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:33 PM   #5
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...nt-191777.html

See post 4

It is my understanding that Sikaflex is not used on the roof, only below the beltline. Use Dicor to seal cracks and Adseal to replace the sealant. Info came from a dealer customer service seminar. Products need to be acquired from AS dealer as they buy up most of the available material.

It is also my belief that Sikaflex is a great sealant solution. Also, it can be difficult to find. Look to commercial construction supply houses as a source. That is rumor and may not be fact.

Read the thread as good info in response to all.

Good Luck with your research and keep us informed as to your findings. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:32 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 22
Carleton , Michigan
Just purchased several tubes of Sikaflex; white and beige(to match my Argosy).

I think I have tried every silicone based caulk known to man and have yet to find one that doesnt eventually mold or crack.

I dont have long-term experience with Sikaflex, but first impressions are very good- it is urethane based, the white is BRIGHT, it goes on shiney and stays that way. The only down side so far is it takes overnight to set, so you really need to apply it and leave the area so you dont mess it up.

There is one Ace Hardware in my area that carries the full selection of Sika products in a separate display, so it may be worth calling around.

Oh, and their construction adhesive is fantastic too

Shawn
Argosy man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:10 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
I have used both Sikaflex and 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant (also a urethane sealant) on the roof of our trailer. Both have worked well and both are available from Amazon. The 3M product comes in various colors, but Amazon seems to have mostly white. Amazon has white, aluminum gray, and black in Sikaflex as well as some other colors in a slightly different product.

Urethane sealants adhere well and remain flexible. I have no reservations about using them on our trailer. I mask carefully and wear nitrile gloves when using Sikaflex. It seems to be able to get on everything if you are not careful.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:18 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1492 View Post
2019, no warranty?
Yes it's under warranty and I do have an appointment at the mothership at the end of July for a couple of other issues.

We have 3 camping trips coming up before that, the first one is in in two weeks. No chance of getting an appointment with anybody before that, so there is no time like the present to learn how to fix roof leaks.

I have Adseal on order from Airstream and am ordering some SikaFlex today. TBD which I'll use.

Dave S
Old 04-16-2019, 06:40 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
2023 30' Classic
Denver , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKI View Post
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...nt-191777.html

See post 4

It is my understanding that Sikaflex is not used on the roof, only below the beltline. Use Dicor to seal cracks and Adseal to replace the sealant. Info came from a dealer customer service seminar. Products need to be acquired from AS dealer as they buy up most of the available material.

It is also my belief that Sikaflex is a great sealant solution. Also, it can be difficult to find. Look to commercial construction supply houses as a source. That is rumor and may not be fact.

Read the thread as good info in response to all.

Good Luck with your research and keep us informed as to your findings. Pat
I have read that thread, it is one of the most current on the use of sealants. It's posts #5, #6 and #12 that have me concerned. That same basic information has appeared in some older posts. I believe it was lewster in an older thread also said that Adseal does not adhere well and is eaisly removed.

I might just end up sticking some bubble gum around the vent for now

Dave S
Old 04-16-2019, 08:39 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Waterford , New York
Adseal To SikaFlex 221, Can Or Should It Be Done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by link2dks View Post
Yes it's under warranty and I do have an appointment at the mothership at the end of July for a couple of other issues.

We have 3 camping trips coming up before that, the first one is in in two weeks. No chance of getting an appointment with anybody before that, so there is no time like the present to learn how to fix roof leaks.

I have Adseal on order from Airstream and am ordering some SikaFlex today. TBD which I'll use.

Dave S

Me, I would use which ever product airstream used originally, it keeps the majority of airstreams dry. They have missed something up there and you just want to solve your problem not create more. I don’t know about the compatibility of the adseal and sikaflex. I am making the assumption that the engineers specked that product for a reason but the owner is right by default so use what ever you want and let me know how you make out Incase mine develops a leak.

Hope the leak is easy to locate!

Regards,

Larry
Larry1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:23 AM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
I have used both Sikaflex and 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant (also a urethane sealant) on the roof of our trailer. Both have worked well and both are available from Amazon. The 3M product comes in various colors, but Amazon seems to have mostly white. Amazon has white, aluminum gray, and black in Sikaflex as well as some other colors in a slightly different product.

Urethane sealants adhere well and remain flexible. I have no reservations about using them on our trailer. I mask carefully and wear nitrile gloves when using Sikaflex. It seems to be able to get on everything if you are not careful.

Tim
Me too....

I've switched to 3M 5200, because I'm old and don't plan on spending any more time on the roof than is absolutely needed.
Some say, ' it's so hard to remove,' but isn't that the point?
I re-sealed with it 8 yrs ago, still intact and pliable.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1c0a.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	203.4 KB
ID:	338297   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1c08.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	309.4 KB
ID:	338298  

Old 04-16-2019, 09:54 AM   #12
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry1492 View Post
2019, no warranty?
I concur. Take it to the dealer. Viola!
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:08 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
They had their opportunity>

< do it correctly DIY.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
1964 22' Safari
Houston , Texas
As a suggestion, which was a quick fix for me - the vent in our 2017 FC 25' FB bathroom was dripping during a rain - I went up on the roof and removed the smoke color plastic cover. Several of the screws holding the vent in place were loose, I tightened them. PO had put clear silicone around the frame next to the roof that was not done very well - I removed and cleaned that and applied a new bead of Henry 100% white Silicone Tropicool roof sealant. Also the sponge/foam seal had somewhat deteriorated so I replaced that as well. Problem solved - took about 30 minutes.
Castiniron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:05 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Sanford , North Carolina
What product are Airstream owners using for inside window sealing? Thank you.
GoinStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:14 PM   #16
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinStreamin View Post
What product are Airstream owners using for inside window sealing? Thank you.
Narrow gap seams....nothing beats the Capt.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #17
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
Frankly I would not take an Airstream tech's advice on which caulk to use and it's easy to understand why. The factory uses a roof caulk that's not self leveling. I meticulously removed the sloppy swirls of caulk from every penetration point on my roof and replaced it with white Delcor self leveling roof caulk. I also caulked the top side of the awning rails. Before applying the caulk, wipe the area with vinegar to kill any remaining mold spores. Help the caulk to edge neatly with a small putty knife and spit. Stays white and mold free for years.
NOAZRK2690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:53 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Napa , California
Our 2019 Globetrotter came with 3 years of full warrantee coverage -a leak like that should be fixed by the dealer. Messing with original equipment at this stage of the game may void any future claims against the warrantee.

That said, our dealer has been stellar in fixing things we have issues with and giving us the best advice on choices for repairs or replacement. That is sort of the definition of a good dealer, someone who cares about the customers AFTER they have made their purchase.
Atwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 07:19 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1992 21' Sovereign
2007 27' Classic FB
Klamath Falls , OR
Roof leaks are ........ closer to heaven but really .........hellacious.
Our 2007 Classic 27FB came with water damage and leaks. Fixed them both in that order. The leaks? Turn out to be from roof panel seams. Here is my suggestion.
Go camping! A temporary fix that can be used even when there is a wet surface is plain ole Butyl. Find it in the Orange Box around roofing supplies or with weatherstripping. It comes in a roll that can be cut with scissors.
How do you know you are at The Home Depot?
The person helping you is your neighbor and ..........he does not work there.
Generalized observation. There are a few really great employees at the Orange Box.
wdkennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 08:26 AM   #20

2018 27' International
Hummelstown , Pennsylvania
Is leak in the bathroom a drip coming from the seam in the ceiling over the toilet? If so, we had the same - it is a poorly installed and sealed stink-pipe. Had our 2018 International fixed at JC
StephenGary is offline   Reply With Quote