Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2020, 08:49 AM   #1

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Orange , California
Accordion door glider broke.

I need to know how to replace and repair the first glider on the door that is he one that will connect the accordion door to the other side of the door for privacy. I believe I ordered the part to replace 5he broken one but I have no idea of how to remove the broken part or instructions on how to install the new glider part! Frustrating. Please help
Mary Keough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Remove the bar that the accordion slides along.

If your bar is anything like ours, the end where the accordion normally resides just lifts out. The other side slides into its resting spot and is held by one screw. Remove the screw, slide the bar a bit back towards where the screw was and lift the other side. The accordion piece remains in the bar, so be prepared to handle it. After all is taken down, the accordion piece slides out of the bar allowing your repair.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:25 AM   #3

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Orange , California
Thank you for that information but...

What I really would like to know is how to remove and replace the riveted piece that holds the bar up to the track. The piece that broke is on the main connection that ultimately holds the door to the opposite wall when fully opened. It is not on one of the curtain area of the accordion door so having this flimsy plastic piece put back in seems silly but at least it will match the other parts...I ordered some. The weird part is trying to get that old broken part out so the new one can be put in. That is my dilemma. My husband said the rivet part will need to be drilled out and then the hole (for assembly of new part when we receive it) will be able to be installed. It is silly that there are not any instructions on how to do this for the curtain. Usually a manufacturer will have a detailed instruction on replacement of parts...but, no...I didn't find anything nor do I find the "Foldette" door online anywhere! My husband is a machinist and tool and die worker so possibly he will make a part that would be made of metal that will support this crucial first piece that would be the most logical to break since it supports the heavier part BUT still...your help was very appreciated on the issue of the bar but do you have any input about how to attach that piece that glides through the bar? Once again, thanks for responding!!! Much appreciated! Keep safe and healthy in these awful times.
Mary Keough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
We had the same piece of plastic break on ours when a friend stumbled and grabbed the thing to steady himself.

My solution was to remove the accordion door and then fasten a nylon washer to top of the broken piece of plastic. I shaped the washer's surface to match the remainder of the plastic slide so that the surface that rides in the track is even. A screw holds the washer in place. I glued the hollow rivet so that it is secure and won't wiggle. This repair has lasted many years.

If your door is like ours, this is the manufacturers page for the doors: http://www.irvineshadeanddoor.com/pr...folding-doors/.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote