Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2003, 10:53 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
accident

Good morning everyone. I am saddened to announce that our Airstream and Excursion were nailed by an inattentive driver on Friday night. This was to be the first trip with the Airstream for my wife. Fortunately, no one was hurt seriously, just a little shaken up. The damage to the truck is probably minimal but the Cadillac Escalade that hit us made contact and drug the entire length of the roadside of the airstream.

I need to know if any routine RV dealer can give an adequate estimate for insurance purposes. The nearest Airstream dealer is over four hours away from me. I also wonder if anyone else has had a similar accident and might give me a ballpark estimate for what it costs to replace all the panels north and south on the roadside of a 31 footer. I am not sure if there is any internal or substructure damage as yet.

By the way, we were doing about 45 MPH and I felt completely in control even after the contact and never felt any signs of instability. Thanks in advance.

Wherever you go... there you are!
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 11:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Currently Looking...
huntsville , Alabama
dont know if you had insuranse but your looking at a lot of bucks to fix. probably more than the trailer is worth. just hope the escilade owner has insurance and will buy yor trailer. id call steve ruth in helen ohio or jackson center and describe the damage and get a ball park to fix. or the dealer fogdall in iowa i think . lol
al
wb13798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:23 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
accident

Brouck, so sorry to hear about your accident. I spent the better part of the seven years that I lived in Grant County Wisconsin trying to find a competent, Vintage Friendly dealer closer than Ace Fogdall RV. I finally came to the conclusion that the short trip to Ace Fogdall RV in Cedar Falls, Iowa was the best alternative when the Airstream needed service. I was and continue to be very well satisfied with the damage repairs that they made on my coach in 1999 (a 1/2 panel streetside overlay was about $1,500). The contact information for Ace Fogdall RV is as follows:

Ace Fogdall RV
5424 University Avenue
Cedar Falls, IA 50613

1-888-212-1622

Steve Oldani, Service Manager should be able to give you some input. The general e-mail is as follows:

service@acefogdallrv.com

Hope that your news is good regarding repairs and insurance coverage issues.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:39 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Al and Kevin, thank you for your input. I have been on the phone with Steve at Fogdall RV and he was extremely helpful. He tells me that he will be able to give me a reasonable estimate based on pictures. Hopefully I will be able to get that done within the next couple of days. I do have enough insurance on the coach to cover what I paid for it. Obviously there will be nothing to cover improvements and sweat equity to this point.

I do believe the other driver is adequately insured so I don't think that I will be beat up to badly unless they choose to put up a fight. Steve did say that insurance adjusters are often completely taken aback by the costs associated with repairing an Airstream. A deputy sheriff actually witnessed the accident so there shouldn't be too much argument over that. When he asked me what the trailer was worth, I told him at least $100,000. He didn't bat an eye. Of course, it was dark so I can't be sure.

Old 06-24-2003, 05:49 AM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Sorry to hear about the accident. I am glad that no one was hurt.....

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 07:25 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Thanks for the thoughts. Hey, are you on vacation or what? Did you stay up all night posting replies?

Old 06-24-2003, 07:28 AM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois

Just a fast typer......

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 02:52 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Ooops!!!....

BHS18....
Sorry 2 hear abt Yr mis-hap, but GLAD 2 kn Yr ALL OK...that's the main thing...Guess I can't help Ya on pricin...I too jus got a SHOCK...Some one backed into my car in the works carpark, only damage I saw was the spot/fog lamp smashed an bumper slightly roughed up, the lamp I could replace for under £20-$30..I could live with the bumper....However as I'm fully covered, an NOT my fault...I had to take her 4a estimate, at the MAIN FORD DEALERS...Oh Boy!!!....NEW lamp, NEW FULL BUMPER, NEW SMILEY GRILL...( had a tiny crack in it...I NEVER even noticed it b4, as it was SHINY...it was a NEW crack...) + full fixing kits, paint, labour....even get a LOAN car...total at abt £450.00 - $650.00...so it jus goes to show that a LITTLE knock can cost a ROCK...Still think that MOTOR INSURANCE is the BIGGEST LEGAL FIDDLE ever...NOT lol...
Hope U get sorted real soon, my car gets 2 go in on wednesday...take a full day or two...
Best of luck 2 U...Chris.....
Old 07-07-2003, 06:35 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
update

Thanks Chris, you are right that the most important thing is that there were no injuries. My Excursion estimate is less than a thousand dollars, only 1 part to replace, the mirror. I am still waiting on an estimate from Steve Aldoni at Ace Fogdall in Iowa. He was going to be on vacation and told me to be patient. I am still thinking "total loss" and fight with the ins co for value.

Old 07-07-2003, 06:49 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I would take pictures of the trailer, with close-ups in the most damaged areas, and mail them to the service dept at the Airstream factory. They're the most qualified to restore your trailer or to total it.

I'd also be claiming loss of use for the remainder of the camping season.
Old 07-07-2003, 07:39 AM   #11
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
other options...

You may also be able to force the insurance company to replace the trailer with a similar trailer in similar condition. You generally have the "say-so" about what that means. They'll let you locate and buy the replacement trailer and they'll reimburse you. You might want to explore that option if your's is "totalled".

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2003, 04:52 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Maurice and Roger, thanks for those suggestions. I think I will follow both of them.

I have some concern in general about dealing with an ins company in these economic times. We deal with them every day in our office and they are going out of their way not to pay patients' claims. They "lose" paperwork or send out endless questionerres and reask the same question. Of course the claims are ligitimate and they must ultimately pay but they hold on to the money as long as they can.

It is quite irksome to business with them. Hope I haven't offended anyone who works in that industry, it's not personal.

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions.

Old 07-08-2003, 11:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Bhs18...

Hope U calmed down a lot now...I kn I was livid at first...then thought, well it's only a piece of metal, it can b repeired....but realy it goes a LOT deeper that than that, I spent everyday for abt 3 weeks lookin for my ideal car, went abt 300 miles lookin at abt 9 of the things, an the one I chose...( Her who has 2 b OBEYED ) liked the one we first saw, NOT more than 6 miles from our own yard...lol...it is the DOGS-NUTZ, as we say over here...being a Ghia, it is almost fully loaded with goodies, well it goes in on wed: to b repaired...but U kn what makes it so maddenin...I gotta pay the FIRST £100, 2wards repair, then claim it OFF the others insurers...that STINKS, I mean the claim was jus a phone call, they DO everythin 4 me, even collect my car an drop off the loan car...but I gonna take in an collect myself...
So I kn how U feelin right now...it's kinda part of U, as U live in Yr A/S...it's Yr freedom, Yr vacation....it's U...hitch up 'n go...Well I realy hope U get sorted out real Quick, an U get a good return...( we NEVER do...).....
Keep on SMILIN
...Chris.....
Old 07-08-2003, 12:07 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Thanks again Chris. I'm not nearly as upset about the Excursion as the AS. My ins agent called me today and he has started the ball rolling. The other driver was cited for 3 violations so the only real issue will come down to value. I have received excellent suggestions from others and will move forward.

Old 07-08-2003, 12:28 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
Cincinnati , Ohio
Sorry to hear about the accident. Just a little advice from someone who has been in the insurance business for over 20 years...document, document, document and stand firm. Be prepared to show the value of your trailer including the improvements you have made as well as the value of similar units. It would be best if you could get a couple different estimates on the cost of repair. The more documentation you can provide, the better position you will be in to get a fair settlement.

If you feel you are being treated unfairly and your own agent/company is unable to help, keep in mind that most states have a consumer insurance hotline that you can contact for help.

Good luck!

Debby
Herm and Debby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2003, 12:34 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Thank you Debby, I have pix and receipts for all work and improvements. I do intend to get at least two estimates. I wish they would pay me for the hassle factor.

Old 07-08-2003, 01:34 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Get what you have been paying for:....let your insurance company handle the problem....they do it every day....then decide if you want a better deal.....you have been payng the agent-company and everyone else for coverage....now it's time to collect....geof
geof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 11:51 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
bhsl8

Glad 2 hear U NOT 2 upset my Friend, I took my car in 2day, for repair, an pick up courtesy loan car...same make as mine, FORD, but the biggest piece of trash I have ever driven in my life, 4a NEW car it is AWFUL...an there was NO petrol in it either...more to add onto the claims bill, an 2 top it all the ruddy thing stalled halfway onto the hiway, an REFUSED 2 start, so I had to go an tell them, they were NOT amused. I thought it was funny, in my own way...glad it happened there an NOT 10 miles down the tarmac...The poor young Girls face was a picture alike a rising sun, I told her I had owned soooooo many FORDS-( Fix On Road Daily ) that I was not bothered if they break down anymore, as I class it as accepted tollerance ( The JOYS of Motoring )...
I may get my car bk monday the latest, an MOST sincerely bhsl8 Iwish it were U an Yr A/S...I realy do, but sounds 2 me as if it is gonna b a l o n g while yet, Well, sounds like the other Guy is in 4 it then, what were the violations ?...
* I passed through a RED light in Orlando, an a patrol car was waitin to turn...Ooooppsss!!!...Yes Sir he hit the TWO'S 'n BLUES...and when I finaly STOPPED a mile down the road...after REALISIN it was ME he was after...lol... He said he gonna give my a CITATION...I ran bk to the hire van an told my wife he was gonna READ me some POETRY, well I thought that's what he MEANT...HONEST...an when he saw my drivin license...he jus looked at me an asked where ALL the violation-stamps were...I told him I DON'T have any...he looked at me in a strange way...a kinda " U KIDDIN...Yeh !!!..."...He smiled at me an said..." Getta out o here...enjoy Yr vacation...U did say U were from ENGLAND "... It was quite scarey, with his GUN openly displayed, an he was abt 7 foot tall, an the kinda Guy who one would'nt want 2 owe money to...if U get my drift, No doubt he is a realy NICE Guy...However...I hope Yr Insurers don't hang up the paperwork no longer than it's needed to be...there's NOTHING worse than NOT knowin what's happenin, I find a polite FONE CALL once a week, usually keeps them from 4gettin who U r, and a nice reminder once in a while abt..." People like ME...KEEP people like U in a JOB..."... an thank U 'n have a NICE day to U all, ...Chris.....
Old 07-09-2003, 12:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas

Chas
Chas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 01:15 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
driving on foreign roads

Chris, I'll never forget the first time I drove in the UK. I was in a rented Cortina with a standard transmission. My first faux pas involved going counterclockwise in a roundabout. I lived through that and gained some confidence and sped out into the countryside. I fancy myself a Formula 1 driver and was practicing passing and speed shifting and at one point reacted so quickly that I smashed my right hand into the door reaching for the gear shift. I of course had the clutch in but nothing happened. My wife thought something ran into the car from the "thud " my hand made on the door.