Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2003, 02:57 PM   #61
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
In re-reading this thead I had a thought pop into my head based on another members statement that you want to be made whole. This is not unreasonable to me. I wonder if the remaining amount that will be required to make you "whole" would be a good small claims court case. You can defend yourself and try to get the monies form the insured driver that hit you. It will be aggrivating and take some more time. But they may be willing to give you the money just to get you to go away.

They hit you, just because their insurance did not pay out in full does not absolve them from responsibility for the accident.

Just my $.02 cents worth, don't spend it all at once.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 03:06 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
and furthermore

Another $1.5-2 K would have made me more accepting. The adjuster actually had ads for "similar" trailers for less money. It's like "he said/ she said" and could have gone on for months.

I have looked in to the small claims deal and I guess it has to be on the whole amount which exceeds the limit. A lawyer will take more than the trouble is worth.

I am kinda sick of the whole thing and hence begin the quest for a "new" trailer. Thanks again to all for thoughts, suggestions and support.

Wherever you go... there you are!
bhsl8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 04:30 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
When I insured mine with Nationwide thay asked me what was the max amount I wanted to insure it for. I said $9K they said OK.
At the time I only had $5K in it. I am now at $8K and will soon have over $12K in it and will go back to Nationwide and up the amount to $15K.
Hope I never have to find out how they will pay out !!!!

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2003, 04:43 PM   #64
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Brouck,

Thanks for sharing your experience with all of us. I understand the wanting to move on and find a "new to you" trailer.

If you see one in the Central FL area that you want to have checked out I would be glad to do so for you.

Good luck on your search, and keep us posted!
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 03:59 AM   #65
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
addendum

Brett, thanks for the offer, I appreciate it.

A further note about dealing with insurance companies. Keep in mind that an insurance company will allow you to insure your trailer for any figure you want. They are more than happy to take your premiums. However, if you suffer a loss that exceeds the amount of your coverage and your unit is declared a "total loss" you will only be paid for what they determine is the actual value of the trailer before the loss .In other words, if I insured my trailer for $10,000 and it suffers damages of $15,000 I still won't receive the entire 10,000 if the insurance company valued the trailer at 5000.

To me then, it would seem prudent to obtain an appraisal of your unit and have the insurance company agree to that evaluation at the front end of coverage before an accident rather than fighting with them like I have subsequently.

Life goes on.

Old 09-04-2003, 04:38 AM   #66
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Brouck,

Sorry to hear about your continuing saga...

Did you pursue having them replace it with a 'similar' trailer? If so, I'd like to hear that outcome.

Roger

BTW, I'll make the same offer as Brett; if you find something in eastern Iowa/western Illinois, let me know and I'll check it out for you as well...
85MH325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 01:30 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
I am a bit confused as Actual Cash Value does not apply whatsoever to another driver that is liable for your loss. The ACV issue only arises in a first party loss, such as when you run off the road and wreck your own vehicle.

The sad thing is that in a liability situation, the liabile party's insurancewill "pay on behalf of the insured for those losses which they are legally obligated" or similar language. Legally obligated is the key phrase. If you cannot agree with their adjuster, then your recourse is to sue if you feel that you have a preponderance of evidence supporting your position.

The adjusters are banking that most claimants don't want to do this, though a good threatening letter from a personal injury attorney often rattles them up equally.

You certainly have had your share of pain and suffering.

Jace
Old 09-05-2003, 03:26 AM   #68
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Roger, thanks for the offer, I am now looking and will pm you should I see of something in your neighborhood.

Jace, it all came down to the adjuster using the report and word of a service who viewed my AS differently than I. I did dangle my lawyer in front of her but she certainly knows I won't spend much money to recover a couple of thousand bucks. Thank you again for your suggestions and expertise.

I have my eyes on a '66 30' Sovereign that is amazingly only 50 miles from here. It is generally in good shape skinwise and has some unresolved issues for which which I still need answers but I am optomistic. I will be posting questions about some of these issues later.

Again I want to thank everyone who had comments, suggestions and support for me during this ordeal. We tend to sometimes let truly trivial issues take on a life of their own. No one was hurt and now I get to have fun starting again.

Old 09-05-2003, 06:01 AM   #69
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Brouck,
Good luck in your search. I will be happy to check out anything you find in the Twin Cities area, though I am certainly not the vintage expert that others on the forum are, yet I do have a very keen eye for quality and value. Don't hesitate to engage me if you need.
Jace
Old 09-05-2003, 07:09 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Eau Claire , Wisconsin
Thanks Jace. I have just found out that someone is interested in my wrecked '75 as is. If I can get a couple bucks for it the blow of this ordeal will be softened a little.

Old 09-05-2003, 08:21 AM   #71

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
One last thing to remember is that unlike auto policies, most RV polices will not automatically reduce the amount of coverage as your vehicle ages and depreciates. So as that value lowers over time you need to change your coverage limits and save some $$. As noted earlier if you insure it for $10,000 and its worth $5,000 you are just burning your $$.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 01:03 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Fun-Lovin
I know this to be true with some (collectable, antique, and show) cars. There is insurance available for agreed value. This is what they will pay in case of total loss. Don't know if there is such of a thing with the travel trailers.
WBCCI # 3516
Fun-Lovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 01:29 PM   #73
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
accident

Greetings Greg!

RE: Agreed Value Insurance for Vintage Airstreams

I have carried Agreed Value policies on both my Airstream and Argosy for several years. First with American Family and now with Foremost. American Family sent an appraiser out to appraise my three collector cars as well as the Airstream (this was before I purchased the Argosy) - - the Appraiser, my agent, and I then reviewed the documentation and evidence that I had to establish an agreed value for each of my three collector cars as well as the Airstream. My claim history with American Family was good on the claims on my modern car as well as one collector car - - the downside was that they raised my rates 300% following my third claim during a five year period (needless to say I found other insurance through a reputable company for substantially less money). Foremost asked for written appraisals on both trailers and the value was linked to those appraisals - - my understanding is that any future increase in value of more than 10% on the policy will require a new appraisal. In the three plus years that I have had Foremost, I haven't had any claims so do not know what to expect first-hand.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2003, 09:27 AM   #74
1 Rivet Member

OUCH!

Sorry about your rig. Glad you all are OK (physically if not financially). Had 4 estimates within the last month on the rear quarter panel of the 31' 1973 Sovereign I just bought. Lowest $1929.00 (wasn't sure he knew what he was doing) highest $4700.00 from an "authorized dealer"