Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2020, 12:29 AM   #1
MWS

2016 23' Flying Cloud
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
AC vents

The AC vents in my 2016 airstream fall out during transportation. Very poor design. The plastic clips are supposed to lock unto the ceiling. Upon close examination you can clearly see that the plastic clips are to small to grab the ceiling. I expected Airstream to be better than that. Making a two hour drive to an RV site on a smooth road all of the Ac vents came loose. Further, the insulation broke away from the ceiling and plugged the AC holes in the ceiling. As you all know we spend a significant amount of money to own an airstream. The quality is lacking and results in the owner spending time and money to fix the shortcomings. I really like my Airstream but would not purchase another one. I am keeping this one knowing that I have to work on it constantly. I am down about 70K and counting with this purchase. Perhaps I am being to critical. I am a retired senior Quality executive from the largest DoD and space contractor in the world. Every problem I have encountered with the airstream is preventable. Price and profit trumps Quality. When the airstream company realizes this they will scratch their heads knowing that customers will shop elsewhere. Stay tuned.
MWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:51 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2018 27' Globetrotter
Elbert , CO
There is another thread (probably several) related to this issue, and one poster has come up with an alternate design that can be made if you have access to a 3D printer.

Quote:
When the airstream company realizes this they will scratch their heads knowing that customers will shop elsewhere.
Don't be so sure. Apparently, this sort of thing has been happening for many years, the prices haven't dropped, and Airstream keeps selling more than they can make. I think constant maintenance is an attribute of trailer ownership in general - definitely part of Airstream ownership! Some people embrace and enjoy this, others complain but soldier on, and still others will either go from trailer to trailer or else return to staying at motels.
djb75 is offline   Reply With Quote