Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-16-2020, 02:42 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 26' Flying Cloud
Orange Springs , Florida
A/C intake ducts

I have two intake ducts about 5 x 10 inches side by side sort of over the kitchen sink. The are fine mesh screen with a removable plastic screen filter behind. The are mounted in the ceiling with four metal screws each. To clean them it is remove screws and wash. I think a. They are too small for the job, b. They have to be removed often to clean and c. The screw holes will be wallowed out easily and then what? This, in my opinion, is PP design. Has anyone come up with a decent filter holder/replacement for this application?
SPARKLE19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Mine (2017) are fit into the ceiling with compression springs (vs. screws), so they are easy to take in/out.

I typically vacuum them in place with a handheld and/ or use a damp cloth to clean up the dust and stuff that collects.

Once and a while I pop them out and clean the foam behind them.

As for size? Cannot comment on that, airflow is a known issue with the ducted system, but most people (including myself) have found improvements by simply modifying the registers, vs the return...
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:56 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
I haven't reached that upgrade yet but my plan is to use Rivnuts, #8's or #10's most likely.

Those screws don't have enough purchase on the thin aluminum to last anywhere near the amount of use they will get on regular filter maintenance. Of course, that's my opinion
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote