Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
PLANO , TX
A/C fan is not running

First time try to use my ac. It ran for a couple minutes then the fan stopped. I have to leave the ac power off at least about 10 minutes, then I can start the fan again. However it just ran a couple minutes and then stopped. What could be the problem? I have the original domestic ac. I replaced the fan run capacitor already. TIA
Xin Li is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:00 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

It might help if we knew what era AS you have.

Based on the information supplied, I'd guess your compressor is shot. That would make more sense on an older / used AS when you are not the original owner.

Bob
uncle_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 04:06 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
PLANO , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

It might help if we knew what era AS you have.

Based on the information supplied, I'd guess your compressor is shot. That would make more sense on an older / used AS when you are not the original owner.

Bob
It is a 1992 Airstream Classic 29' . The pipes connected to compressor one is cold and another one is hot. Seems compressor still working.
Old 06-20-2021, 04:25 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Next guess would be the control board.

You might want to update your member info to show the AS you have. It would save you from being pestered with "which one?" questions all the time.

Bob
Old 06-20-2021, 05:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
PLANO , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Next guess would be the control board.

You might want to update your member info to show the AS you have. It would save you from being pestered with "which one?" questions all the time.

Bob
The ac unit is Coleman Mach series
Old 06-20-2021, 06:22 PM   #6
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin Li View Post
The ac unit is Coleman Mach series
Hi

Lots of places sell Coleman. Call around and see if anybody has a control board in stock.

Bob
Old 06-21-2021, 09:44 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Dry Branch , Georgia
fan motor

Sounds like your fan motor may be bad. aaait should have an internal overload that turns it off when it is pulling too many amps and overheating. As it cools the internal overload will let it start again.

Good Luck
Buckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 10:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckless View Post
Sounds like your fan motor may be bad. aaait should have an internal overload that turns it off when it is pulling too many amps and overheating. As it cools the internal overload will let it start again.

Good Luck
X2, had the fan motor seize up on AC on my 1988 AS about 4 years ago, a couple years after the fan seized on my brothers 1986 AS. Oiling the fan motor only got a couple more days out of it each of those times.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:53 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Woodway , Texas
Fan Not Running

If your unit's equipped with a fan start/run capacitor, it could also be that.

If you're able to get up on the roof and pull the cover, check for a very hot motor as well as a fan capacitor whose 'can' is swollen or leaking an oily substance. If the cap looks normal, the motor may indeed be at fault. Some makes have a thermal breaker imbedded in the stator windings that will open if the motor is experiencing an overheat situation.

If you can access the fan, maybe even from the inside, cut the power and try turning the fan by hand. It should rotate easily; if not, you may be able to get some oil around at each end of the motor where the fan shafts exit as a temporary fix.

If it's the capacitor, then an HVAC or motor ship, Grainger or Graybar will probably have a replacement on hand for around $15.

Hope this helps!

If
emelaich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 04:08 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1992 29' Excella
PLANO , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelaich01 View Post
If your unit's equipped with a fan start/run capacitor, it could also be that.

If you're able to get up on the roof and pull the cover, check for a very hot motor as well as a fan capacitor whose 'can' is swollen or leaking an oily substance. If the cap looks normal, the motor may indeed be at fault. Some makes have a thermal breaker imbedded in the stator windings that will open if the motor is experiencing an overheat situation.

If you can access the fan, maybe even from the inside, cut the power and try turning the fan by hand. It should rotate easily; if not, you may be able to get some oil around at each end of the motor where the fan shafts exit as a temporary fix.

If it's the capacitor, then an HVAC or motor ship, Grainger or Graybar will probably have a replacement on hand for around $15.

Hope this helps!

If
I replaced all capacitors already. still the same issue. most likely is the fan motor is bad. It is hard to find a replace for the one I have.
Attached Images

Old 06-23-2021, 08:06 AM   #11
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

At some point, replacing the A/C unit is the answer. Parts do get scarce after 30 years. The good news is that the modern units are a lot quieter than some of the older stuff.

Bob
Old 06-23-2021, 10:24 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xin Li View Post
I replaced all capacitors already. still the same issue. most likely is the fan motor is bad. It is hard to find a replace for the one I have.
When my brother's quit the correct fan was about $350 plus shipping (other AC fan motors were around $150), at the time a new AC was under $800. Not really worth fixing for the cost difference, especially since it wasn't cooling as well as it should when the fan was working.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote