Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum > Furnaces, Heaters, Fireplaces & Air Conditioning
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2021, 10:41 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Houston , Texas
A/C condensate dripping from wrong area

I read the previous threads on this and have checked all suggestions. I snaked out the drain tube in the wheel well. The trailer is level and not leaking inside. It is leaking from the rear street side corner. I would post a picture if I knew how. I would appreciate any ideas. I am currently living in McAllen, Tx so my dometic a/c runs continuously. I have replaced the flush toilet with a compost toilet so I know the water problem is not there. The rate of leak matches what previously came from the condensate tube.
NancyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 05:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Hi Nancy, you likely still have a block somewhere in the line. You may not have “snaked” far enough up? Usually to unblock I end up using compressed air or shooting water up the line from the wheel well when I’m feeling extra adventurous.

You may be able to remove the AC filters inside and look for the clear drain line to see if it’s backed up to that point. Otherwise another way to confirm that it’s not draining and that it’s blocked is to get on the roof and look at the drain Pan.

Right now, if it’s not draining from wheel well, the water catch pan is full and the water is spilling over and just finding it’s way down the trailer.

Hope this helps.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
What is confusing here is that I would expect that either the condensate is going to go down the drain tube (normal function), or if the drain tube is plugged, the drain pan will fill up and either drip into the interior, or run down the outside of the trailer (more probable). But, you say that it is draining out of the street side rear corner, which suggests that the water is getting between the interior and exterior skins, and randomly finding its way to the rear corner....

Well, what I would suggest is that you remove the interior ceiling unit, which should expose the drain pan "crossmember" where the drain tube connects and have a good look at that situation. It is a pretty simple operation, maybe 5 screws to remove, but you will need to remove power from the AC unit, as I vaguely recall that you will have to break an electrical connection to completely remove the ceiling unit. Anyway, as I recall, the connection to the drain pan is pretty sketchy, and this is a very likely place for it to be leaking.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Is the water running down from the roof? Or is it emerging from the belly pan?
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Have a similar problem. Some of the condensate dribbles down the curb side tube as intended, but some also dribbles onto the exterior of the trailer down the outside street side.

I removed the interior white plastic air flow direction device, eight screws I recall. Also need to pull out the two air filters to allow it to drop it from the ceiling.

In my case I found the cross tube to be shoved high in the middle by a wad of romex wires. Unfortunately straightening the tube didn't solve my problem.

Frankly the condensate catch system is pretty flakey. Two condensate catch cups, one street side, the other curb side about 1/2 cup in capacity. Connected together by a flexible tube. Unfortunately its impossible to visually inspect the catch cups without removing the whole air conditioner.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:29 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Had the exact same issue, condensation running down the side of the Airstream. The drain tube had become lose at the AC unit, you’ll have to climb on top to fix it.
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 10:42 PM   #7
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I had the same problem too. In my case the drain tube curved upwards over time, so water started to run down the outside of the tube, and into the wheel well / belly pan…. Vs dripping on the ground….
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:28 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
I had the same problem as the water was running down the roof and off the side of the trailer. I think blowing out the line from the top is the way to do it. When I had the rig in for service they found the line kinked up a bit on top, so they straightened it out then blew the line out from the top. No problems since.
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 10:03 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Finally gave up looking back thru for a previous thread...so from memory...

We had a bit of an interior drip from the interior cover. I pulled the cover to expose the tubing and T's and sure enough the hose was not fully on the barb one the clamp was not even hand tight.

Seems other had reported broken/cracked hose connections at the pan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8261 (Small).JPG
Views:	31
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	400686  
Old 07-30-2021, 11:56 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyJane View Post
I read the previous threads on this and have checked all suggestions. I snaked out the drain tube in the wheel well. The trailer is level and not leaking inside. It is leaking from the rear street side corner. I would post a picture if I knew how. I would appreciate any ideas. I am currently living in McAllen, Tx so my dometic a/c runs continuously. I have replaced the flush toilet with a compost toilet so I know the water problem is not there. The rate of leak matches what previously came from the condensate tube.
Thanks so much. My daughter had purchased an air compressor for my tires. I used it to blow out the condensate tube. It did not work immediately, but when I checked later the problem was resolved.
NancyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 12:01 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Kingwood , Texas
Nancy, what part of Houston are you in? I’m in Kingwood. Our 2014 FC 25 developed a leak from the drip pans due to a broken drain pan nipple that the clear drain tube connects to. The AC is just held on to the trailer with the four long bolts that can be removed from inside after removing the plastic shroud on the non-ducted units. I did all my work from inside the trailer and replaced the foam gasket while I was working on it. After researching the foam gasket I found that the original install was done with only one foam gasket and it should have had a doubled up gasket, which is what I installed.
DoubleR is offline   Reply With Quote