Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2007, 05:41 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Thumbs up Here's to maiden voyages

Congratulations Steve, on your first trip. Looks great. In spite of your "issues", betcha loved, didn't you.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:46 PM   #62
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Great shots Steve...looks great!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Way to go Steve, Amy & Collin! Congrats to Collin on the promotion -- Major Trouble. Steve ... a new Bambi I understand. But do I see a new Road Trip grill? Congrats -- you da Man!

Steve-O -- The door mechanisms tend to come under-lubed from the factory. Get a can of LPS-1 (all silicone, no oil to attract dust -- don't go with LPS-3!), open the door, and spray this randomly around the mechanism. See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f453...ing-27193.html. It'll make a world of difference, buddy!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:34 PM   #64

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by soldiermedic
....and a few shots from our maiden voyage.

Found a few issues out with the trailer. The door won't close properly unless we slam it extremely hard. The black water sensor reads full all of the time whether it is ful or empty, and we found a small leak that lets water under the shower wall due to some bad caulking. Guess we shall see what happens next time.

Using the convection microwave wasn't that bad at all, but it did heat the trailer up very quickly. We had the AC off just to ensure we didn't trip the breaker from exceeding 30 Amps. We chose the mid range of the cooking times, and slightly burned the bottom, so we will go with the minimum time suggested on our next attempt.

Steve
Just a quick thought. Did you check how much pressure you had on the stabilizer jacks? If you crank them down to the point that they start raising the trailer, you torque the frame thus causing a door opening or closing issue.

Black water sensor may be a panel calibration issue. You may need to get this done (assuming you are still under Airstream warranty). If you are out of Airstream warranty, here is the link to the website for Catcon who produces the panels. http://www.catconproducts.com/manual...itorManual.PDF

Note the panel is under 5 year warranty from Catcon.

Leaks from the shower??? What else is new. I think this is the bane of all new Airstream's. I've had two new trailers each exhibiting the same problem in the same area. I assume the water is showing up somewhere under the shower door? The good news is that it can be fixed. The bad news is that it sometimes takes a couple of visits to finally find the problem.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Didn't know you could check the stabilizer jack pressure, but when I lowered them down I just turned tight enough to make it snug. No lifting of the trailer. As for the door, it opens just fine, but to securely close it, I have to slam it VERY hard. The shower will be caulked later this weekend at home to try and correct the issue. For the sensor, I believe the PO was using NON RV toilet paper and some is stuck to the sensor. Gene is supposed to be sending me some cleaner for it, but won't use it till Branson Rally.

Bob, I liked your Road Trip way better than mine so I sold my other one for $150 and got this one on clearance for $156.

Steve
Old 09-05-2007, 03:43 PM   #66

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Didn't know you could check the stabilizer jack pressure, but when I lowered them down I just turned tight enough to make it snug. No lifting of the trailer. As for the door, it opens just fine, but to securely close it, I have to slam it VERY hard. The shower will be caulked later this weekend at home to try and correct the issue. For the sensor, I believe the PO was using NON RV toilet paper and some is stuck to the sensor. Gene is supposed to be sending me some cleaner for it, but won't use it till Branson Rally.

Bob, I liked your Road Trip way better than mine so I sold my other one for $150 and got this one on clearance for $156.

Steve
I just know that in some cases where folks have complained about this, I've found that some stabilizers were cranked down a little too much. If you have checked that already, then probably that's not the problem.

Regarding the tank issue I guess the question is what type of system panel do you have? If it's like the Catco model in the calibration link I posted, there are no sensors inside the tank. They are mounted externally so cleaning the tank internally will have no effect. Those sensors work on an entirely different principal and the debris in the tank has no effect on them. I'm assuming that by 2005 Airstream was using the Catco panel in all of their trailers.

The old style with the sensors mounted inside was prone to bad readings, and the cleaner fix is only temporary. Up until my '04 Classic I've never owned a travel trailer where the black tank sensor worked properly over the course of a season. It's just about impossible to keep the walls of the tank clean which the old sensor is attached to. Thankfully most folks don't need to use that panel for black water levels. The eyeball sensor looking straight down the toilet is the most accurate measurement tool.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #67
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
If it's like the Catco model in the calibration link I posted, there are no sensors inside the tank...Those sensors work on an entirely different principal and the debris in the tank has no effect on them....Jack
these micro pulse sensors actually screw INTO a hole in the tank or lower drain tubes...

so technically the sensor part IS inside the tank and makes contact with the fluid.

they give an estimate of fill level hydrostatically...

basically the column of water concept.

in theory debris would have to be hard or covering the opening for the sensor to foul...

regardless they are well known for being way off, needing recalibration or replacement.

many threads on 'micro pulse' here and the pdf manual linked has the calibration proceedure near the end....

but it is a time consuming pia to do and a bit tricky....

a perfect event for a rally with lots of help...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:29 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman

but it is a time consuming pia to do and a bit tricky....

a perfect event for a rally with lots of help...

cheers
2air'
Bring your tools Gene!

Steve
Old 09-05-2007, 09:15 PM   #69
_

. , .
tools aren't really needed for this issue...

rubber gloves, a mask and goggles absolutely!

this thread has a picture of the sensor and replacement instructions...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f444...ank-24903.html

the exact sensor location depends on which model a/s....

and how much the factory guy was drinking the night b4....

Airstream Forums - View Single Post - Micro Pulse Tank monitor calibration

my sensors have been replaced 3 times...

also have replaced the monitor panel and the entire wiring network...

oh and calibrated 5-6 times, at least.

micropulse even sent me 'precalibrated' sensors that didn't work correctly either...

last year the factory put metal access doors over each sensor location...

just so replacing them would be easier for me...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 10:58 PM   #70
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Dandy....warranty is out as of Jan 2008 so I should get it done now and hope for the best.

Steve
Old 09-06-2007, 11:02 AM   #71
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Dandy....warranty is out as of Jan 2008 so I should get it done now and hope for the best.

Steve
Yep, good idea Steve. That way you get a chance to try it out and make sure the repair actually works before it expires. You may want to ask if, since this is a recurring problem, if they will extend the warranty on this item. They may if you ask, or they may just say no which is their choice, but worth asking for. I know when the fuel pump went on my car the dealer extended the warranty on that component for a full year from the time of replacement rather than to the end of total warranty which was a couple of months off.

Barry
Old 09-06-2007, 11:30 AM   #72
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' International CCD
mountain home , Arkansas
Steve
We met you the day you picked up your new trailer. We bought a truck and are in the process of buying the 23' on the lot, we are going to the rally, so hope to see you there, if we haven't sold the 16' by then, I would gladly trade you the cushions for the color you like. If you know anyone looking for a 2007 trailblazer or a 2004 Bambi, send them our way. Talk to ya' Bill Karr/ Nell Fisher
beercan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:36 PM   #73
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
Bill,

Did you get in touch with the guy in Jonesboro that we spoke about???

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:37 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Welcome Bill and Nell,

I AM SO JEALOUS ABOUT YOUR 23'!!!!!!!

Maybe if you trade it in a few years from now I will be there for it.

Congrats.

I PM'd you about the rally.

Steve