Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2023, 10:05 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
“90 Day Shakedown”

Anyone have more intel on this. I only got the info from my dealer. Anyone been able to get this “you got 90 days to get us the trailer for all the little ‘rattles’ and adjustments” extended?

I am currently using my unit and I don’t want to be without it until April.
Old 02-03-2023, 01:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Huh? 90 day warranty?
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 02:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
Huh? 90 day warranty?
Yeah. Somewhat. I was told larger “craftsmanship” or appliances and the like are 1 year, but to get squeaks rattles and adjustments I have only 90 days. Has anyone heard of this?
Old 02-03-2023, 03:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Globetrotter
San Diego , California
Yes, our dealer notified us of this when we picked up our GT 30' last March. We didn't wait the full 90 days but it is basically a free service appointment for the service techs to adjust or fix anything that could have already broken or come out of alignment.

We used our shakedown to have some missing interior pop rivets replaced, the tires and lug nuts torqued, some interior wood paneling reattached (the ones above the fridge/wardrobe that only are held by staples), a dented fridge door they had on order from our delivery as it came dented from Jackson Center, and the like. Also, one of our propane tanks wasn't being drawn from, so they took a look at that.

It's nothing major, just a free first appointment to catch anything that could have been defective from the factory that wasn't caught in final inspections or PDI. It did take them about 2-3 weeks to finish everything however.

Hope this helps!
2022 Ford F250 Lariat, Crew Cab 7.3L
NMathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 07:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
I appreciate learning that other dealers do this. However, I fail to see how any of this (both yours and my list) is outside the scope of the 3 year warranty and I am very perturbed because I am currently using it every weekend. I told them they could have it mid April, but they are being very rigid.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:52 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2022 30' Globetrotter
San Diego , California
The 90 day grace period is strictly enforced sadly…after all the dealer is offering a free service appointment…

You don’t have to take your AS in so long as nothing has gone south in your opinion. The only reason we took ours in was due to those panels coming loose, the other “issues” were just to make it worthwhile.
2022 Ford F250 Lariat, Crew Cab 7.3L
NMathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 07:33 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
You could always not go in. Just start your list and schedule something further out or even better, head to Jackson center on a future trip. It’s great to see where AS is made and the service center there is too notch with full hookups.

As long as there isn’t anything major, they have your rig in early and back out to your space by 3pm every day until your hit list is done.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 08:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 20' Caravel
Plaistow , New Hampshire
Never heard of that, we had minor things corrected a year later without issue or charge.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:50 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMathews View Post
The 90 day grace period is strictly enforced sadly…after all the dealer is offering a free service appointment…

You don’t have to take your AS in so long as nothing has gone south in your opinion. The only reason we took ours in was due to those panels coming loose, the other “issues” were just to make it worthwhile.
All service appointments are free for warranty issues during the first 3 years. I would call and question Airstream about this.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:41 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
I knew this topic would get interesting. We also bought the extended warranty, for the first time in our lives, so this 90 day thing is really annoying.

I am wondering if Airstream pays dealers a higher compensation in the 90days?

I was told be the service rep at my dealer that they bring the unit in. Make the hit list with pictures, send it to Jackson C., and wait for the approval. Then fix what is approved.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:05 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Hi all!

Update for the collective community. I got my issue all ironed out both dealer and factory both took good care of us.

90 days is indeed an important milestone for an infant Airstream, but I misunderstood the exact logistics. I have been under a high load of stress and responsibility at present.

So long as any known issues are communicated and documented before 90 days, then the appointment can be set after.

We now have a more workable date for us on the calendar, and I just have to get my list to our dealer’s service department.
Old 02-07-2023, 06:15 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Little falls , New York
So what exactly is the warranty for then? Sounds like bunk to me…
civeng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2023, 07:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMathews View Post
Yes, our dealer notified us of this when we picked up our GT 30' last March. We didn't wait the full 90 days but it is basically a free service appointment for the service techs to adjust or fix anything that could have already broken or come out of alignment.

We used our shakedown to have some missing interior pop rivets replaced, the tires and lug nuts torqued, some interior wood paneling reattached (the ones above the fridge/wardrobe that only are held by staples), a dented fridge door they had on order from our delivery as it came dented from Jackson Center, and the like. Also, one of our propane tanks wasn't being drawn from, so they took a look at that.

It's nothing major, just a free first appointment to catch anything that could have been defective from the factory that wasn't caught in final inspections or PDI. It did take them about 2-3 weeks to finish everything however.

Hope this helps!
What a load of Horse-Poop! Anything which was not done correctly for delivery is ON THE DEALER and I don’t care HOW LONG it is convenient for THEM to fix it!
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 04:18 AM   #14
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
It's spelled out in the owners manual how this works...

Quote:
Damage to interior or exterior surfaces, trim, upholstery and other appearance items may occur at the factory during assembly, during delivery of the travel trailer to your selling dealer or on the selling dealer’s lot. Normally, any damage is detected and corrected at the factory or by the selling dealer during the inspection process. If you discover any damage when you take delivery of your travel trailer, you MUST notify your dealer OR Airstream within 10 days of the date of purchase to have damage repaired at no cost to you. Minor adjustments, such as adjustments to the interior or exterior doors, drawers, latches will be performed at no cost to you by your selling dealer during the first 90 days of warranty coverage; thereafter, such adjustments are your exclusive responsibility as normal maintenance.
The warranty document also spells out that Airstream doesn't cover appliances and equipment which is covered by a separate warranty from its manufacturer.

I suspect that some dealers will do goodwill repairs after the 90 days, but it seems from this that they are not obligated to do so. Interestingly, the warranty also states that any defects needing repair must be reported to the dealer or to Airstream within 10 days of being discovered.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 05:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2022 23' Flying Cloud
Seattle , Washington
My understanding from my dealer was different than this. I was told that exterior seals were under a 90-day warranty as they are exposed to the outside and wear differently depending on use. Like you, we just needed it documented. The 3 year warranty covers the Airstream frame, not the internal components which are under a 1-year warranty. Again, this is just what my dealer told me. Though I am intrigued now and plan to look at my warranty documentation.
hikingcamera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 06:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
2023 28' Flying Cloud
Monmouth , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post

The warranty document also spells out that Airstream doesn't cover appliances and equipment which is covered by a separate warranty from its manufacturer.

I suspect that some dealers will do goodwill repairs after the 90 days, but it seems from this that they are not obligated to do so. Interestingly, the warranty also states that any defects needing repair must be reported to the dealer or to Airstream within 10 days of being discovered.
Thank you!

You have provided a good reminder that going to the Owner’s Manual before the forums is a great idea.
Old 02-09-2023, 08:57 AM   #17
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
Unfortunately The Site Team had to remove several posts from the thread as things got off topic.

The topic of discussion is "90 Day Shakedown" regarding reporting warranty issues with a new unit. Please limit your posts to that topic.

The Site Team
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 03:50 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post

What you quoted said "any damage needing repair" within 10 days not defect, that is a big difference.

For the 90 days it listed stuff that could easily be caused by ruff treatment or normal wear and tear that should take longer then 90 days.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 04:01 PM   #19
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
What you quoted said "any damage needing repair" within 10 days not defect, that is a big difference.

For the 90 days it listed stuff that could easily be caused by ruff treatment or normal wear and tear that should take longer then 90 days.
The text from the manual I quoted was talking about two different things. The first is, like you said, damage that occurred from the time of manufacturing until the time the customer picks it up. These must be reported within 10 days.

Quote:
Damage to interior or exterior surfaces, trim, upholstery and other appearance items may occur at the factory during assembly, during delivery of the travel trailer to your selling dealer or on the selling dealer’s lot. Normally, any damage is detected and corrected at the factory or by the selling dealer during the inspection process. If you discover any damage when you take delivery of your travel trailer, you MUST notify your dealer OR Airstream within 10 days of the date of purchase to have damage repaired at no cost to you.
The second thing mentioned is:

Quote:
Minor adjustments, such as adjustments to the interior or exterior doors, drawers, latches will be performed at no cost to you by your selling dealer during the first 90 days of warranty coverage; thereafter, such adjustments are your exclusive responsibility as normal maintenance.
I paraphrased these things as 'defects', as in a defective adjustment/alignment done at the factory on doors, drawers, latches, etc. Or a defective installation which requires tweaking after delivery.

According to the text printed in the manual,, after 90 days the responsibility for correcting these things is on the owner, regardless of the cause whether it be wear & tear, rough treatment, or something else.

Regardless of which word one puts on these things, the policy is what it is regarding 'minor adjustments'. I'm neither defending nor criticizing it, just reporting what's in the manual.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 05:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
It’s also worth noting that the manual also says if you travel and live in your rig full time that the warranty is void.

We didn’t have any issues with our two year warranty and even airstream covering items after we were out of warranty if we reported it prior to warranty expiring.

Best thing you can do is always just refer to the dealer if your under warranty. If they say not covered then go to airstream directly. We have never had great luck with dealers and as a result end up just making it back to Jackson center every couple of years or as needed.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote