Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2020, 09:44 PM   #461
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Back Door Leaks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper Crazy View Post
Kristof, it is great watching the pace of your rebuild; it is really turning out sweet. I am in the process of resealing my '72 overlander, and the picture in post 454 of the "trunk" door at the rear of your trailer has prompted me to ask if you are happy with the way that door seals. All of the other outside compartment doors have a drip caps. Mine looks similar to yours and I am not concinced that the area will stay dry in wet conditions. By now you will know if this is a valid concern; what are your thoughts on this?
CC
We added closed cell tape to the door on both the inner edges and the outer door edges. This created a pretty good air seal and I am convinced would be good versus water as well. The angle of the door is rather steep so water should really go down the edges but in a good downpour that would depend on the way it was leaning. We have not been out in it much but we were in a real rainstorm for a day camping and noticed no leaks from the back door.

Kris
Kristof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:47 PM   #462
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Axles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blockparty View Post
I’m working on my 77 Sovereign and am having the same difficulty removing the pan over the axles. What the heck? So I have pealed if back everywhere else and am just gonna seal it up again. Not sure what else to do.

The insulation and frame are good. I hadn’t planned on replacing axles. But if it do, I guess that’s when I would get it off.
Milt,

If the axles are original you should replace them.

The area between the axles is a bugger. In retrospect there is away to do it right - there are two REALLY BIG bolts that attach the axle to frame. You will need a big breaking bar for sure - and after loosening them jack the frame. Mine were out of kilt so I actually loosened them and put them back in straight. I think when there is weight on them this is not an issue.

Kris
Old 04-04-2021, 06:46 PM   #463
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Good Bye AirStream Forum - Closing out this Renovation

Hi folks,

Well it has been a long time since I posted anything worthwhile and we have been very busy moving to Colorado, getting into a new work routine, training for work, adjusting to COVD 19 restrictions, etc etc.

We pushed very hard this spring to finish up the restoration as much as possible - some things were rushed. We are living that dream now in one sense as some of the idea's we had did not turn out so well - okay at least they were good ideas but rushing things is not a great idea most days.

LiFePO4 Batteries. The big question is what happens when they become problematic or it gets too cold or too hot or the BMS cracks up? We ended up redesigning the entire compartment and last summer we added 4 X 12V Lead Carbon batteries as a second bank. Now with the switch we can easily maintain the system on one bank or another. Also we moved on from the original BMS which was much too complicated and went with higher end VICTRON components. We also invested in a 3000W electric start quiet generator because it is not always sunny. As they say the proof is in the pudding and we just got back from 10 days on the beach in California with no E hookups and of those days, we charged with the generator on one of them, just top be on the safe side. The solar has both banks charged usually by lunch or early afternoon and just runs a float till it gets dark. We also had to rebuild the plumbing for fresh water tank entry point which is now much better than it was before.

ALDE Hydronic Heating System. The biggest issue with the ALDE is the owner and user of the system!@$ When you are running on battery the ALDE will use either propane or electricity if you have the inverter on the breaker active on the main panel. This is how we got big issues with 4 to 6 cells in the LiFePO4 battery we built. We have done this three times now! Other than that we love the in floor heating system and quietness of the entire unit. It is a success and worth the investment, time and effort to get it operating properly.

Living Space. While we maximized storage and utility space, the narrow 24 inch hallway is a PITA with two people and two German Shepherds. Not sure how you could get around that but cooking is a one person operation.

Bathroom. Nearly total failure as the toilet is way to close to a huge sink which we do not need. Other than that, things work the way they are supposed to.

Shower. Largely a success if the leaks and the drain. Because there is no trap we get quite a smell in the trailer when the grey is open, the sewer is hooked up at an RV park and the fantastic fans are on exhaust. Yuck. Going to have to fix that problem . . . Also the floor is not sealed properly and the lip is not as high as it should be - so it has a tiny leak which can be an issue if we are not level. The length of pipe from the hot water heater to the shower is also a bit long so it takes awhile for it to heat up.

Bed. Lots of discussion on the wrap around design, size, height, etc. One of us does not like to have to roll or crawl over the other one to pee at night. So a bit of a failure from that perspective. Other wise all good.

Cabinetry. Slowly coming along - need more time certainly as building it takes a lot of planning and design. The battery compartment is now the base for some drawers and these long trips require some proper cooking ware storage.

I have attached some cool photos of our trips so far - Vancouver Island to Colorado, Grand Canyon and California. Many more to come. Many thanks to those of you who helped along the way and provided comfort in the knowledge that someone else had been here before. Feel free to visit or contact me through the FaceBook Page which will remain active.

https://www.facebook.com/AIRSTREAMRENO

Kris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210223_213210082.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	392384   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210223_215914996.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	392385  

Name:	PXL_20210226_214730057.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	292.6 KB
ID:	392386   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210310_023002703.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	270.5 KB
ID:	392387  

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	507.6 KB
ID:	392392   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210404_220150976.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	389.2 KB
ID:	392393  

Name:	IMG_20200830_192139.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	403.1 KB
ID:	392394   Click image for larger version

Name:	KKL_0433.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	392395  

Name:	KKL_0436.jpg
Size:	570.5 KB
ID:	392396   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210330_015503310.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	272.5 KB
ID:	392397  

Name:	IMG_20200917_124830.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	522.6 KB
ID:	392398   Click image for larger version

Name:	36.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	297.2 KB
ID:	392400  

Old 04-04-2021, 07:05 PM   #464
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Nice to hear from you folks. Welcome to Colorado. We've been here 5 years now and enjoy it. We find folks very friendly. Your solar system will relish the intense sunshine we have here. My son really got his nose sunburned skiing last Friday.

You built one of the most technically sophisticated vintage Airstreams I've ever read about. I'm sure you will get the technical problems all worked out and that "power plant" trailer running just the way you designed it.

I spent all winter of 2020 under a 76 Sovereign 31'. It is my friend's trailer and we did a straight forward renovation. They enjoy camping all over Colorado with it. See photos.

Sorry to hear a "goodbye Airstream Forums" message. Your experience and knowledge is very valuable here. Anyway, best wishes to you and yours here in Colorado.

David
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2008 Camping-800x600.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	392412   Click image for larger version

Name:	2008 Front Room.jpg
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	392413  

WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 05:59 AM   #465
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Let me add my praise for your craftsmanship to David’s. Your pioneering with solar power is impressive as well your the rest of your design. I’ve missed your posts and wondered how your project was coming.

I have just finished our 78 Sovereign and we head out for a 45 day trip in a few days. I went the other way and tried to keep Faith low tech. Although we are done with Faith, it doesn’t mean we are done. So i suspect, like you, once we complete our shakedown trip, we will have a new list of issues to talk about on the Forum.

Good luck to you and thanks for sharing your journey.

Bill
Keeping Faith
wcronin4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:49 AM   #466
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I've enjoyed reading your thread, and marveled at the sophistication of your installs, and gotten lost sometimes in the technicalities! I'm not a very technical person.....
unless it's a sewing machine. (I can take those suckers apart and put them back together with my eyes closed.)
There are ALWAYS things to do and upgrade with a vintage trailer. We are working on things now and do every year.

Good luck to you!

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign