Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2008, 11:54 AM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That makes me sick! I'm so sorry for you!

Off to court you go!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Take a deep breath.....

You have a great Pacer there. Too bad a JERK nearly destroyed it. Note.....I say nearly destroyed. I think the door is the only REAL problem here. The drip panels and the banana wraps and the access panels ar fixable. The bigger panels can be worked with some effort and there is always Griffiths in OKC and North Dallas RV. If you have a tow vehicle that will tow a Pacer, that same on will haul a lowboy tandem axel farm type trailer (I use 'em for hay and tractors, etc.) Load up the Pacer, correctly and take it in for pro repair. Its not that far from where you are to either OKC or DFW. You can rent a trailer for a few days. The pacer is too nice to give up on.

Stay with the lawsuit on the trucker. Stick it down his neck.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 12:17 PM   #23
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
This is just sickening. I feel for your loss and you cannot let him walk away from this. He's responsible. Hopefully you have pictures that you looked at while making your decision to buy this trailer and those should be shown, along with the pictures from this thread, to his insurance carrier. You should also get a statement from the seller stating the condition it was in when the shipper picked it up. Keep after them, they cannot ignore you and hope you go away.

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Obviously, there is severe structural damage, causedby how the shipper tied it down.

There is some damage to a couple of horizontal stringers, and possibly a main bow or two, and a couple of segments.

We have the original segments.

I would suggest that you have someone repair the trailer, that has "remanufacture experience."

If not, the end result would more than likely be less than desireable.

The door area itself, requires some expertice, to get it back as it was.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
Elyria , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to silverhawk
There are not enough bad words in the English language to describe the person who is responsible for this damage. You may have to use some Spanish and maybe some Italian too. I feel your anger and pain.
Bob
silverhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
there you go!

Do what Andy said. Corona is not that far either....and his work is the best!
Old 01-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1959 17' Pacer
Corrales , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Obviously, there is severe structural damage, causedby how the shipper tied it down.

There is some damage to a couple of horizontal stringers, and possibly a main bow or two, and a couple of segments.

We have the original segments.

I would suggest that you have someone repair the trailer, that has "remanufacture experience."

If not, the end result would more than likely be less than desireable.

The door area itself, requires some expertice, to get it back as it was.

Andy
Andy, do you have a rough ballpark figure of what this would cost to fix? I'm trying to get an idea of how much to go after the shipper for.
Corraleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:05 PM   #28
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I really hate to see something like this happen. I'm afraid it's going to cost more to fix it than you paid for it.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:13 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corraleno
Andy, do you have a rough ballpark figure of what this would cost to fix? I'm trying to get an idea of how much to go after the shipper for.
We can provide a "ball park" but I must have photo's that show every part of the exterior, including the roof.

You can e-mail them direct, if you wish, since you have already posted some photo's here.

Andy.
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Corraleno,

No information is shown on the Safer web site for insurance information. You can pay for the information. You could also contact the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Here you can file a complaint and they may give you the information by phone given the problem. He has a current MCS-150 Filing so they have him in the database. He's operating as Bobby Ray Reavis DBA Hot-Shot Express. He has one vehicle and one registered driver. Your DOT number is correct. Here are access numbers and contacts for the above organization: Contacting Us - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

You can access Safer yourself - most of the search items are fee free. SAFER WEB

Hopes this helps a little.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #31
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I just ran a quick check on this guy on Uship, and copied this off Uship's page:
No longer a registered member - Account suspended

uShip Profile

hotshotexpress67 (10)

Member Since 09/20/07
Old 01-24-2008, 05:30 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
I'm Just Curious

Where was the seller when this was loaded for the trip. There may be another "responsible" individual here.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1959 17' Pacer
Corrales , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
I just ran a quick check on this guy on Uship, and copied this off Uship's page:
No longer a registered member - Account suspended

uShip Profile

hotshotexpress67 (10)

Member Since 09/20/07
Hmmmm. His current ID on Uship is Reavis Express, so I guess he just opened a new account in a new name. But the old account (hotshotexpress) had 100% positive feedback. If everytone else was so happy, why did he have to destroy MY shipment???
Old 01-24-2008, 06:16 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Saint Helena , California
In my experience, the first word out of the mouth of someone in the insurance business is, "No..." I know it's a hassle and frustrating, but you must be your own advocate here (just like healthcare). Don't let them shortchange you, don't let them make you feel like you are stupid, and don't give up. It's their job to settle for the least amount possible, but if they figure out that you are not going to cave in, they will settle for the correct amount, just to close the file and move on. It'll take some time, but hang in there.
bevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1959 17' Pacer
Corrales , New Mexico
First I have to figure out who his insurance company is -- the DOT doesn't have any insurance info listed for him.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:13 PM   #36
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
First I have to figure out who his insurance company is -- the DOT doesn't have any insurance info listed for him.
How long ago did this happen? mayb you could get local law enforcement involved. "This guy vandalized my trailer"...Don't know if it would work, but it may be worth a shot.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:22 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Before you do that check what are local penalties for filing false police reports.
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:26 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bevman
In my experience, the first word out of the mouth of someone in the insurance business is, "No..."
Hey - I think I resemble that remark....
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 07:30 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
One wonders if this fellow even had the insurance noted, and if not, if he misrepresented himself. If so, would that be considered as fraud? One other note, did you have your own insurance on the trailer? Or alternatively, did the seller still have insurance on it? I'd consider talking to your own insurance company to get ideas as well.

Hopefully you have not paid this person, or if you did so via credit card you may be able to call them and have the charge canceled.

Make sure you let the shipping registry know that he's simply relisted under a new name. Maybe if you keep finding him when he puts his name up he'll get the hint that he's made a big mistake damaging your baby.

Barry
Old 01-24-2008, 07:42 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, so sorry to hear about your new/used trailer. My first thought was if his insurance doesn't cover the damage unless it was an accident, then what happened to your trailer was done on purpose? Second thought, I would invite him back and do some damage to him, his rig, or both. Accident?
Can it be fixed? Yes, but the cost will be more than you have in it now. But it is not unusual for Airstreamers to spend many times more money restoreing a vintage trailer than they originally paid for it. Good Luck.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote