Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2008, 10:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1959 17' Pacer
Corrales , New Mexico
Unhappy '59 Pacer damaged in transport -- need help!

I bought a 59 Pacer with no interior but a near perfect shell and had it transported from FL to NM. The good ole boy who transported it obviously thought it was a worthless piece of junk because it was seriously damaged. He strapped it across the top and crushed the roof, the drip caps, and bent the door frame so badly the door won't open. The two front corner panels are damaged and both side access panels are missing (he blamed it on "wind").

How bad is this? Is it fixable? Is this something I can do myself or will I need to take it to a body shop? If I have to replace some of the exterior panels, can I still get the same kind of aluminum, so when it's polished everything will match? How serious is it to have a bent doorframe? It was just delivered this morning and I'm in tears. I sent photos to the seller and even he is sick to his stomach over this.

Any help and advice greatly appreciated.

Corraleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Yikes!
Find out who his insuror is, and file a claim. Get estimates for repair to "prior to transport" condition, and give them to the insuror.
You do have "before" photos?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

I think my first conversation with the "good ol' boy" would have been with a shotgun. Darol
Darol Ingalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:18 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1959 17' Pacer
Corrales , New Mexico
He says his insurer only covers damage if he was in an accident and the trailer was destroyed, and they won't cover "wind damage" (what a joke!) while it's on his trailer. I had it trailered, not towed, specifically to insure that it wouldn't get damaged! I am trying to get him to refund the shipping fee, but I doubt I will have any other recourse with him, other than leaving scathing feedback on Uship so no one else will ever use him.

I just need to know if these things are fixable. Can dents like that in the roof be pulled or rolled out and the doorframe bent back into shape? I assume I will need to replace the front corner panels, all the drip caps, and the access panels -- does anyone know what the cost would be for those? Can you still buy the same aluminum?
Old 01-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
You should definetly get a judgement against the shipper. It appears the trailer is totaled. With no interior for additional support the damage may be unrepairable. So sorry but you do have a case to pursue. The question is that if the shipper has no or not enough insurance does he have money? Really I am so sorry.....and angry!
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corraleno
He says his insurer only covers damage if he was in an accident and the trailer was destroyed, and they won't cover "wind damage" (what a joke!) while it's on his trailer. I had it trailered, not towed, specifically to insure that it wouldn't get damaged! I am trying to get him to refund the shipping fee, but I doubt I will have any other recourse with him, other than leaving scathing feedback on Uship so no one else will ever use him.

I just need to know if these things are fixable. Can dents like that in the roof be pulled or rolled out and the doorframe bent back into shape? I assume I will need to replace the front corner panels, all the drip caps, and the access panels -- does anyone know what the cost would be for those? Can you still buy the same aluminum?
Corraleno,

Of course he states that his insurance company will not cover the damage, he wants you to go away. If he is in your area, you can file a small claims complaint but the damage may exceed the small claims limit.

The dents can be repaired, but you need to remove the interior skin. The drip caps and access panels can be made by someone with good metal working skills. The aluminum alloy sheets available today will match the original skin when polished. Take a look at my thread on some dent repair, they look even better after spending more time, I need to post more pictures. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f334...-new-post.html

The cost around $75 per hour for talented and skilled work.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:29 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Oh, no! I am sick over this, too! Your beautiful trailer.

I would get his insurer's information and talk to them directly. Do NOT believe what he says about the insurance - get it directly from them.

I would also talk to UShip and see what they have to say about this. Do NOT take any of this lying down. You bought it in a certain condition and through the inexcusable stupidity (I won't even say ignorance) of the transporter, it is totalled. There has to be a way for you to get your purchase and shipping money back.

PLEASE be sure to file that report with UShip. That man is a hazard and needs to not be doing that kind of transport. You can also take him to court over the loss if he is not fully insured.

Hang in there! I am sure there is a positive way out of this for you.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 10:43 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1959 17' Pacer
Corrales , New Mexico
His Uship profile says "Full Value Protection – no additional charge up to $100,000.00" and "Your property is insured to $100,000." But he's now saying that's only if he's in an accident, not if something happens to the AS while it's on his trailer. And he's still trying to argue that the damage is really minor, it was an old beat up trailer, anyway, etc.

I stupidly assumed that Uship worked like ebay or paypal and there was some level of protection if you get screwed, but apparently all they will do is forward a message to the transport company if there is a dispute, they don't get involved in disputes at all. Wish I'd realized that sooner!

If I have his DOT number, is there a way for me to find out who his insurer is, or file a complaint with the DOT? He's based in Ocala FL.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Corraleano
If U have his DOT number ,its on file with DOT who his insurance carrier is. He Dont want U to know . So U dont file a claim and his rates go up. If indeed he has any insurace.
Good Luck
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:03 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
They are different insurances and different levels of them.
I am not familiar with shipping business, but in my remodeling business on the side of liability insurance, workers compensations and so on, I have to carry performance bond. The bond will pay for the screw ups if I don't perform.
What was the trailer value you put on the shipping order?
Kajtek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:04 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1959 17' Pacer
Corrales , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot
Corraleno,
The dents can be repaired, but you need to remove the interior skin. The drip caps and access panels can be made by someone with good metal working skills. The aluminum alloy sheets available today will match the original skin when polished. Take a look at my thread on some dent repair, they look even better after spending more time, I need to post more pictures. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f334...-new-post.html

The cost around $75 per hour for talented and skilled work.

Bill
Thanks for the link, that gives me a hope that at least some of this can be repaired. I just hope we can sort out the door frame. For replacing exterior panels, what type/gauge aluminum do I get to match what's on a 59? Which rivets?

BTW, as far as I know there are no vintage trailer places near Albuquerque who work on airstreams (for some reason, RetroRestoration won't touch AS trailers). If anyone knows of someone in the Albuquerque area who can do this kind of work, I'd appreciate recommendations.

TIA
Old 01-24-2008, 11:07 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
1969 18' Caravel
Lovettsville , Virginia
Damage is damage

The trailer was damaged while in his possession - it shouldn't matter if the damage was the result of an on the road accident or a meteor falling from the sky.

The company is trying to weasel - stand firm and let us know the outcome.

This must be such a nightmare for you, I'm so sorry to hear of this...

~Bob
takenitez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1959 17' Pacer
Corrales , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
They are different insurances and different levels of them.
I am not familiar with shipping business, but in my remodeling business on the side of liability insurance, workers compensations and so on, I have to carry performance bond. The bond will pay for the screw ups if I don't perform.
What was the trailer value you put on the shipping order?
I think I put $3000, which is what I paid for it.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
I agree with those above. He doesn't want you to file a claim, because it will raise his rates. I believe you can obtain company information with his DOT number. I would request the name of his insurance company from him to confirm his level of coverage. Chances are you will get paid for the damage, if you remain persistant.

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
I'm with Darol.

That is just painful to look at. I would also file a report with the Better Business Bureau so others can see their track record.

That's just not right. I would definitely go after them in small claims, that's nothing to shove under the rug.
NEU
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Wow, this is so sad. It took an incredibly stupid person to do this.

Maybe Andy at Inland RV will give you his opinion. He is the expert in this area.
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
If you'll PM me the shippers name and address if you have them both - I have access to DOT and Safer - may be able to get you some info. if you want.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:44 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
1959 17' Pacer
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Daytona Beach , Florida
Towing isn't easy...

People don't understand what it takes to properly haul these, so trusting them to strangers, from out of state, without proper financing, without paid up to date over-priced insurance- unfortunately ends up this way...

Airstreams are especially difficult to trailer. I watch my husband load these, and he goes through an hour or more of properly securing them, and then we stop at 5 miles, 10 miles, 50, then 100- intervals so he can check them out and adjust the straps and chains.

The main thing- the one that hurts you- is SPEED. These guys will take a trailer, like a 1940's Airstream or a Silver Streak, and hitch it up to an F350 and do 80 with it to get it where its going and get done with the job. We pull ours slow- its tough, but worth it, it saves the trailer from what he did. My man looked at the pix and said its junk- that he bent more than what is shown, and that it can't be easily fixed, but to take it to a small airport.

He said there is a guy in Corralles NM named Dan, and he's pretty safe and reliable with hauling- WCC Transport, and you can find him at the car dealers there- he's got a couple flat beds.

My guess, with all the distance involved, with all the trouble you'll have to collect, that you'll spend more than what the trailer cost in collecting- its a losing battle. But then, there's always principle...

Good luck with it, forget the BBB, tow them yourself, and DRIVE SLOW.
EllieZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:45 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corraleno
Thanks for the link, that gives me a hope that at least some of this can be repaired. I just hope we can sort out the door frame. For replacing exterior panels, what type/gauge aluminum do I get to match what's on a 59? Which rivets?

BTW, as far as I know there are no vintage trailer places near Albuquerque who work on airstreams (for some reason, RetroRestoration won't touch AS trailers). If anyone knows of someone in the Albuquerque area who can do this kind of work, I'd appreciate recommendations.

TIA
Corraleno,

I think that you are a candidate for the 4CU Restoration rally. Check out this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f289...lly-39159.html
Someone there may be able to assist you.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:52 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Also, be sure to save/print his profile page on Uship where it states the insurance. He may go in and try to change it, and you need to have it for posterity. You can save it as a Web page (In IE, do File, Save As, make sure "Web Page" is selected - it will save it as the group of files that make up the whole page).

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote