Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2019, 12:59 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
You’re under warranty- trip to jackson Center?
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:20 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
You’re under warranty- trip to jackson Center?

If addressed to me, I’m well past warranty and while I’m planning a trip to JC next summer for a bunch of stuff, I won’t wait that long for this issue which seems solvable given all the great advice here. On a 10 point scale this doesn’t rate a 1 for me [emoji3] - but very grateful for all the advice.

I’m really curious about the piano hinge idea....
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 04:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFP View Post
Wow, "foam" door? Really?

I didn’t write that one but I can tell you that autocorrect does weird things. If he was typing curved form door and has a letter wrong, “foam” could be the auto-result. Happens to me a lot. And if I catch them early enough I fix them. Otherwise, I have tons of posts here that sound far more ill-informed than I already am [emoji3]
Old 06-09-2019, 06:47 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Labelle , Florida
[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet2.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	157.2 KB
ID:	342857[/ATTACH]

If I attached the images properly you can see the piano hinges I put on sink doors. I used a standard 30" hinge that I bought at Home Depot or Lowes. I fastened the hinge to the door first then I used 3M VHB tape to attach to the cabinet while putting the screws in. Yes you can see the hinge edge with the cabinet closed. That was my wife's concern but to us it is a non issue. Doors open at least as wide as the stock hinges and there is no hinge getting in the way putting item inside or taking out. I like the free access that I am replacing the hinges in the small cabinets beside the queen bed. Clothing is always catching on the hinges. But here the fit is too tight and the door needs to be trimmed to make it fit and the door operate properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet1.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	342855   Click image for larger version

Name:	cabinet3.JPG
Views:	57
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	342856  

VTSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 08:47 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
The May issue of Blue Beret has a tech article on these.....
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 10:22 AM   #26
D44
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Lawn Guyland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSafari View Post
[ATTACH]Attachment 342857[/ATTACH]

If I attached the images properly you can see the piano hinges I put on sink doors. I used a standard 30" hinge that I bought at Home Depot or Lowes. I fastened the hinge to the door first then I used 3M VHB tape to attach to the cabinet while putting the screws in. Yes you can see the hinge edge with the cabinet closed. That was my wife's concern but to us it is a non issue. Doors open at least as wide as the stock hinges and there is no hinge getting in the way putting item inside or taking out. I like the free access that I am replacing the hinges in the small cabinets beside the queen bed. Clothing is always catching on the hinges. But here the fit is too tight and the door needs to be trimmed to make it fit and the door operate properly.
That looks like the answer to me.

One last question - does the flat part of the hinge (that gets screwed to the door and to the cabinet) protrude from the edge of the cabinet thickness at all?
Old 06-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
VT Safari - wow! That looks great! I think the spine on the outside actually looks kind of cool!!

I think this is the direction I’m going to take. Finding time is the only thing stopping me for now. Very very cool.

And I’m betting my DW would be able to craft something (she’s a potter) to fill those holes that look like sideways Mickeys....

Even if not - I really like that solution a lot!! Thanks for posting pics!
Old 06-09-2019, 12:57 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Labelle , Florida
"One last question - does the flat part of the hinge (that gets screwed to the door and to the cabinet) protrude from the edge of the cabinet thickness at all?"

You can get different widths of piano hinge. I think I got 1/2" and it definitely wasn't a problem. So I just measured my cabinet walls and door thickness. My doors are 5/8" thick. The cabinet wall thickness toward the door is 3/4" and the cabinet wall towards the rest of the cabinets is 1/2". So 1/2" hinge will not extend past any cabinet wall thickness or door thickness.
VTSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 03:25 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
I am still going to do the piano hinges ... but ....

As luck would have it - on the ride back from Liberty Marina (what a gorgeous weekend in NYC! - and if you can get to the Met to see the Play it Loud exhibition - it is outstanding - I squirted a few just seeing Stevie Ray Vaughn’s Fender.....) the cabinet door popped off the top hinge (remained connected to the bottom hinge).

I could clearly see the back part of the hinge that connects to the metal bracket that is on the wall portion. The two screws holding THAT part in place (not visible from the pic I posted) were VERY loose. So - I grabbed some Loctite red out of the toolbox, applied to that and the bottom one as well since I took the cabinet door off, re-tightened the screws and popped the door back on. Perfect! So for now - let’s see how that does. Maybe the piano hinges are a nice winter project there, on the nightstands, maybe the hall closet....at least for today, it’s perfectly functional! [emoji3]
Old 03-15-2021, 12:48 PM   #30
Eric

2019 25' Flying Cloud
tucson , Arizona
Part Number Info Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
Actually these hinges DO release the door from the cabinet quite easily. That is OK.

If the door comes off, then you can just re-snap-on the hinge half on the door to the hinge half on the cabinet face.

Google Blum Hinge Adjustments to see in action how these work. Here is one I found:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...ZdiWR_oz7Dsc5O
Hi .. trying to find part number for the sink door hinge .. i thought ordered the correct part .381607-10/11 .. but this is only the door side .. not the frame side which is like a "cross" .. any help will be highly appreciated..thank you!
laferic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 05:09 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Woodway , Texas
Blum Inertia hinges

Prepping for a camping trip and found sink cabinet hinges loose. Again...

Spent an afternoon removing the junky nylon screw anchors from the R cabinet door, slightly tapping out the hole and inserting a flush-fit piece of oak dowel. Screws are nice and tight now like the ones I did on the L side a couple of years ago. Given the amount of weight leverage imposes on these curved doors, I wonder why AS didn't use three vs two.

Saw the YouTube video on the Blum Inertia hinges and wondering if these are direct fit replacements for the fidgety/finicky Grass ones we have now.
emelaich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 05:18 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Pound of cure for an ounce of prevention.

Now that you have things put back together, go the extra mile and secure the hinges with zip ties. Circle around the whole thing.

I did that this spring. Now even if they pop off the screw, they stay in place.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 06:50 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Washington , Washington, D.C.
I have the curved doors under the sink. I duct tape them when traveling to ensure they stay closed. To re-use the tape (I use a fairly long strip), I 'softly' lay it around my trash can. It comes right off again for next use on the doors.
PatLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:23 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatLee View Post
I have the curved doors under the sink. I duct tape them when traveling to ensure they stay closed. To re-use the tape (I use a fairly long strip), I 'softly' lay it around my trash can. It comes right off again for next use on the doors.
I used to use duct tape as well, but I found this and have been using it ever since for the curved sink cabinet doors, among other things, when we are travelling. Holds well, reusable, and no tape residue on the cabinet door.

thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:44 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Woodway , Texas
Sink Cabinet Door Hinges

More good solutions; thanks! we use a tarp bungee--one of those elastic cords with both ends thru a plastic ball--threaded thru the door handles to keep things corralled. But eventually the screws seem to work themselves out a bit. OTOH, those doors probably get more use than any other.

Subbing the dowels for the plastic anchors remedies the screw problem but a couple of the hinges are starting to get a little sloppy internally. Found a template for the Blum and it looks pretty close to the Grass version. May have to order a pair just to see how things line up.
emelaich01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2023, 08:04 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

tucson , Arizona
door hinge replacment

The grass hinges are no longer available for these doors and wondered what hinges are available that will work. thanks
cotimundi is offline   Reply With Quote