Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2018, 11:19 PM   #1

2018 Basecamp
Tacoma , Washington
2018 Basecamp leaning to the side

My husband and I just purchased a 2018 Basecamp. When we got home from picking it up and parked it we noticed for the first time that as we looked at it it was leaning to the right side(the side where the battery, furnace, bathroom etc is on). We were sent home with a full tank of water so we drained it but it remains listing (not just as bad). We checked the level of the floor/pad the BC is sitting on and it's level. The tire pressure is balanced as well. Anyone have any thoughts on what we are experiencing? I do not feel it's safe...isn't one rule of safe towing a balanced load? This BC is NOT balanced; my husband has not notified the dealer as yet because he wants to see if he can somehow weigh each side of the BC....I on the hand hand think the thing needs to go back (knowing full well no one is going to let me return it). Thoughts?
nelulay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:49 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! You can weigh your BC at a commercial truck scale, often called CAT scale here. The new search function in the blue box above works great, and these search results should point to threads with more info:

"CAT scale" -- https://www.google.com/search?q=CAT+...com&gws_rd=ssl

You might also want to read the various Basecamp threads reporting problems:

BC Issues: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...es-162632.html
Simple Survey [fridge problems]: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...ne-169937.html

Basecamp forum: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404/

You should probably notify the dealer ASAP, even before you weigh the BC, because you might have a serious safety issue! There is also a toll-free number in the paperwork with your Airstream manual you should call ASAP. Keep careful records of your communications with the dealer and Airstream -- email is the best method IMO.

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 05:38 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelulay View Post
<<snip>>? This BC is NOT balanced; my husband has not notified the dealer as yet because he wants to see if he can somehow weigh each side of the BC....I on the hand hand think the thing needs to go back (knowing full well no one is going to let me return it). Thoughts?
Definitely have the dealer check the trailer if you think it is unsafe!

Weigh the trailer as stated above. This is necessary until you get familiar with loading both the trailer and tow vehicle.

But remember, balance is achieved by loading the trailer properly. (you have to load the trailer with your camping gear, and shift it around on the interior until balance is achieved) It is not unusual for one tire to have more weight on it than the other, even by several hundred pounds, before and/or after loading.

Read the Owners Manual.

ps:
Welcome to the forum!
Old 10-26-2018, 05:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Take lots of pictures, for your own records and to send them to the dealer.

Call them but then confirm everything in writing via email, and continue to do so.

I wouldn’t do anything with this rig without dealer input, lest you invalidate your warranty or otherwise cause yourself problems in getting it resolved.

Good luck.

Maggie
Old 10-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I would notify the dealer ASAP and also call the Customer Service team at the factory. They might have seen this before and can offer some advice. The way you explained it I am understanding that the BC is listing to starboard, if that is the case, I have a question for the previous posters. How do you get the weight on the right side of the trailer at a CAT scale? Wouldn't it have to be sideways on the scale with one tire on one scale and the other on the other scale. I guess I don't understand how the scales work.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #6
Airstream Ambassador

Jackson Center , Ohio
Quote:
My husband and I just purchased a 2018 Basecamp. When we got home from picking it up and parked it we noticed for the first time that as we looked at it it was leaning to the right side(the side where the battery, furnace, bathroom etc is on). We were sent home with a full tank of water so we drained it but it remains listing (not just as bad). We checked the level of the floor/pad the BC is sitting on and it's level. The tire pressure is balanced as well. Anyone have any thoughts on what we are experiencing? I do not feel it's safe...isn't one rule of safe towing a balanced load? This BC is NOT balanced; my husband has not notified the dealer as yet because he wants to see if he can somehow weigh each side of the BC....I on the hand hand think the thing needs to go back (knowing full well no one is going to let me return it). Thoughts?
Hi nelulay,*

Congratulations on your new Basecamp! Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can share this information with our Customer Service and Technical Support team. We look forward to helping you get this resolved.

You can also reach Airstream Customer Service and Technical Support at*customer_support@airstream.com*

Thank you.*
Old 10-26-2018, 09:50 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
My trailer and I both lean right...
��
brick
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:54 AM   #8
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Getting a left and right side weight may not be possible on a CAT scale. You have to pull on the scale with one tire on the scale and one on the pavement to the side of the scale. I thought it has been posted that CAT scale operators do not allow the one off and one on weighing. So you may have to find a helpful operator or an alternate scale to establish your weights. Wonder if tongue weight scale would allow weighing at home. There are 5000lb, 2000lb and the standard 1000lb scales we often see recommended. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 12:57 PM   #9
Classy Roscoe

Nenulay,
Congrats on your new Basecamp!!

Airstream has responded and they WILL work with you. They are good people.

Just a thought, you verified tire pressure, but also verify that both tires are the same type and character. That is, make sure that the specifications of both tires are exactly the same.

If both sides don't have exactly the same type tire they can be just fine but set different.

A black tire is a black tire and mistakenly can make one believe they both are a the same.

But if they are identical, besides weight loading, you may have a defective shock or something bent or missing.

Unbalanced weigh distribution is not your friend and can cause problems when you don't need problems. (e.i. Wet roads, sharp down hill roads, sudden need to brake and so on.)

Safe travels.
Jekerrville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 02:13 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
I seriously doubt it's a misloading issue. Interior build out is done in a balanced manner and if you haven't loaded any heavy items and your tanks are empty than I would suspect the running gear. Axles, shocks, tires , wheels mounting etc.
Why are you reluctant to contact the dealer. I would have had that trailer back there in a heartbeat. Even if I would have made some mistake it's lot easier to apologize than to try to analyze something you don't know much about.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #11
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard!! 👍

Did you have a comprehensive orientation, any photo's?

I realize it's after the fact...but, your dealer dropped the ball on the PDI.
If it is, in fact, a build defect the Factory must accept blame for not catching it.
Sorry to admit, but an all to common occurrence. 👎
Get it back and be firm, if the lean is too much for you to overlook...don't accept it.
Insist repair or replace.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 10-26-2018, 03:05 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
I agree with Frankly Frank. You have a good dealer in Airstream Adventures NW, contact them.

Mike
WBCCI #3960
2019 F150 ecoboost
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:48 PM   #13

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTravelers View Post
I would notify the dealer ASAP and also call the Customer Service team at the factory. They might have seen this before and can offer some advice. The way you explained it I am understanding that the BC is listing to starboard, if that is the case, I have a question for the previous posters. How do you get the weight on the right side of the trailer at a CAT scale? Wouldn't it have to be sideways on the scale with one tire on one scale and the other on the other scale. I guess I don't understand how the scales work.
At the different scales I worked at while a weightmaster none of the scales had a way to drive only left or right tires on. Usually there was railings, dips, or simply no room.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 12:56 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
I have been surprised at the number of defects in new Airstreams that are reported here. We bought a 29' 1976 Airstream 11 years ago. We have been through every square foot of the trailer and have found signs of poor craftsmanship in almost every area. But we only paid $5000 for ours and any improvements we have paid for as we go. I can imagine the disappointment of getting home to find that there is a defect that might make the trailer unsafe on the road. CAT scales are good for measuring one set or both sets of tires but it will be difficult to get a weight on a single tire. Find out if you can get a scale that will provide you with the weight of each tire. Might as well get the tongue weight for future reference.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
So what happened? Is Airstream or the dealer going to look at it?

Have you taken each wheel off and inspected the axle mounting, the angle of the struts, and the range of travel? I can see the potential for a flange to be mounted incorrectly or something like that.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
Thoughts?
Wondering if you have received any satisfaction from Airstream on this? Your ID still shows only 1 post total.

Thanks,

Peter
Old 11-07-2018, 09:09 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Albuquerque , New Mexico
I have a 2017 Basecamp. It has always been level empty tanks, no gear; empty tanks, lopsided gear; full tanks, no gear; full tanks, full gear. I have no doubt that you could manage to make it list by loading it unevenly with enough weight, but I keep mine regularly loaded with 250lbs more on one side than the other and this seems to have no effect. I can't shed much light on what is going on with your particular trailer, but this definitely seems to be some kind of manufacturing defect rather than anything that you have done or weight distribution problem.
ArawayCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 04:19 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Toledo , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
So what happened? Is Airstream or the dealer going to look at it?

Have you taken each wheel off and inspected the axle mounting, the angle of the struts, and the range of travel? I can see the potential for a flange to be mounted incorrectly or something like that.

I am only stating that some are unable to do such things because of one reason or another. Those are things that should be inspected at the factory or dealership for the cost.
Jakeo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 01:36 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Could you please update us on this?

Thanks,

Peter

Quote:
Old 11-10-2018, 08:09 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Toledo , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Could you please update us on this?

Thanks,

Peter

PLEASE ............I haven't moved since you said you would keep us updated and I'm getting hungry!
Jakeo62 is offline   Reply With Quote