Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2021, 07:23 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Airstream Coach - Other
Mcclure , Ohio
2000 33' Land yacht Gas, what oil?

I cannot seem to find the service manual, I need to add oil, it is very low. I started it up after sitting for winter and hear clanking. Check oil.. super low. At the first dot.

What oil and location for service manul?

Any help is aprpeciated!
Killmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killmon View Post
I cannot seem to find the service manual, I need to add oil, it is very low. I started it up after sitting for winter and hear clanking. Check oil.. super low. At the first dot.

What oil and location for service manul?

Any help is aprpeciated!
Well, don't run engines low on oil.Thats rule #1.
At this point, any motor oil is better than super low oil level.Dont start / run it anymore until you add oil.Put some 10W-30 in it.Dont over fill it.
My advice is start checking your oil frequently.
That also gives you opportunity to check other fluid levels.Like coolant/ brake fluid/ power steering fluid/ etc etc.
Old 03-12-2021, 08:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum, Killmon.

I think this is your Airstream owner's manual, but it does not cover the chassis, motor, transmission, etc.:

https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...manual-222.pdf

On p. C-1 is a section entitled Chassis, without much specific detail. [PDF p. 23/138]

Do you know who manufactured your chassis, and what the engine is? Any paperwork, or ID plates on your door frames, inside the engine compartment etc.?

Good basic advice in the last post. Suggest finding a good truck service repair shop who can look your chassis etc. all over, if you don't already have such a place. How long have you owned this MH?
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Rochester , WASHINGTON
Ok, I think after some checking, that you have ( 8.1 L ) GM Vortex L-18 engine.
That's the 496 Cubic Inch last of the Chevy Bigblock engines.
It replaced the long time 454 Cubic Inch ( 7.4 L) big block.
The guys at Plowsite.com ( Snowplowing site)for big engine fans, recommend going with 10W-40 conventional oil, or 15W-40 Synthetic oil, like Mobile One.Mobile One is only oil I use.
These engines burn some oil, so a heavier viscosity cuts down on that, in heavy use, like Motor Homes like yours.
As I stated first post, you must check oil often , especially in big blocks.Some will burn/ use a quart every 500-700 miles.These 8.1 s are known for that.
Since you're low, and going into camping season, here's what I would do.
You need to change that oil and filter.So get someone to change your oil, where it's parked.Get a 5 quart container of cheap Wal-Mart brand oil, some 10w-30.While you are there buying that oil , buy 2 -5 Quart jugs of 15W-40 Mobile One-Synthetic oil.About $25 a jug.Thats for your new oil change.Also buy 1 Quart of Lucas Oil Synthetic Stabilizer, for full synthetic oil.About $12.
Also buy a Mobile One full synthetic oil filter.Thats good for 20 K miles.
Top it off full with the cheap 10W-30.Check dipstick while adding, until full.DO NOT OVERFILL (that engine takes 6.5 Quarts with new filter, When you change oil.) Just idle the engine till it's hot, then drain all the oil out you added, and remove oil filter.Use the remaining cheap 10W-30 oil in your lawnmower lol.
Replace old filter with new filter.Add oil to new filter before installing.Coat filter gasket with oil.
Then pour the Quart of Lucas Stabilizer into engine first, with big funnel.Its thick, like honey.Great stuff, protects that big engine.
Then add Mobile One oil until almost full on dipstick.Start engine, let it run couple minutes.Shut it off.Then check oil on dipstick, slowly add until full.
Use only same full synthetic oil combination above,for all future changes.
Use remainder of Mobile One only to add oil while using Motor home.Keep that jug of Mobile One in the motorhome, fill as needed only with that oil.
Basically you have bulletproofed that big block with that combination.I would go 10-12 K between oil changes with that full synthetic combination.Change the filter also at that next change.Use only full synthetic oil from that point forward.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Great detailed post . . . thanks.
Old 03-13-2021, 05:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
We used to find 20/50 really reduced oil consumption. It isn’t good for cold starts though. If we were starting one below freezing we would plug in the block heater for a few hours first.

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 04:35 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Airstream Coach - Other
Mcclure , Ohio
Wow, thanks and thanks to all of you!

It is a work-horse chassis. It is my parents. I am trying to pull the dog house right now, I am going to add some 5-w to it and I am going to pull the plugs and put some stuff (not sure what yet) in the cylinders and start it up.

started it last year, but I guess all the oil went to the bottom, so I am not keen on starting it without priming the cylinders. I read about manually turning the oil pump.. I may do that too.

But I need to pull the dog house first.

Thanks again for al the info.. I really apreciate it!
Old 03-20-2021, 04:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks for the update . . . good luck!
Old 03-20-2021, 04:41 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Airstream Coach - Other
Mcclure , Ohio
I really need a service manual.
Old 03-20-2021, 06:58 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Have you considered the possible sources for a manual, suggested in Post #3? Any paperwork from your folks with info on nearby shops/mechanics? Maybe even the original bill of sale . . .
Old 03-21-2021, 02:25 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Airstream Coach - Other
Mcclure , Ohio
I have all that stuff...