Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2004, 09:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Bellevue , Washington
20 years not used

If a unit has been sitting for 20 years in southern Cal. what problems might one expect to encounter? How easy is it to get parts for a 69 model? What should one pay for a 69 overlander sitting that long?
Thanks
Naturescalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 09:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturescalin
If a unit has been sitting for 20 years in southern Cal. what problems might one expect to encounter? How easy is it to get parts for a 69 model? What should one pay for a 69 overlander sitting that long?
Thanks
Unfortunaly sitting is often bad. Disuse means minor problems go unnoticed for long periods of time and become BIG problems.
Expect some floor repairs. Even if it doesnt rain that much there the sun will have cause seal problems in particular around the Vents.
Sitting doesn't do the axles much good either. You might need to replace them.

www.vintageairstream.com has a buyers guide section. Price has a lot to do with condition. Solid floors are worth a lot because they are very labor intensive to repair and large sections of damage. The rest of the major parts like Reefers, A/C and water systems are just like every other campers and parts are available.

The big problems with some of the Airstreams near that vintage is the Tambor doors used I think starting in 69. the guides break and they are not available new. Its a matter of finding a coach being aprted to salvage what you need ot retrofitting different overheads or new doors of some sort.

The good news is I think 69 is just past the troblesome Corning windows.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 10:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
59Toaster has some excellent points. Vintage trailers have great potential. A lot will probably depend on how handy you are. This forum is the perfect place to get started.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 02:16 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

One more...

Having wonderful experience of being in Cal for most of my adult life, I have to say that if it is near the ocean, the skin damage can be a hefty fix. Additionally, one of the more sickening dilemmas is rodents within your walls.
Aside from being a health concern, it is quite difficult to undo. Once one of these little critters start roaming between the walls, all their droppings are nearly impossible to clean. Short of removing interior skins, a nightmare of a job.
Hidalgo
Hidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 04:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Another thing to keep in mind is that 69 was a transition year, so it has some older parts - all the walls are wood and some newer - similar in construction through 70's and 80's. You may find some parts unique to that year.

Don't be discourged though if you check the unit over. I bought one that had sat for 20 years - you can pretty much count on the axles being toast though.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2004, 07:12 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Firth , Nebraska
Smile

Hi Naturescalin,

I have a '69 Overlander International. It should not have the tambor doors. I have had good luck with parts availibilty. Window and door weather strip is available from Inland rv . Also the 14 x 26 solar dome. Plan on replacing the cabinet and rooflocker latches. I just got done rebuilding my furnace. It is the original Surburban NT22, found the parts on line at a supplier in TX. You will find that all the wood is real. The only thing I would consider a drawback is that there isn't a grey water tank. I also still have the original h2o heater. Went through that too. The water pump has been the most difficult part to get parts for. But they are also around. I'm still looking for the pieces that spread the antenna open as it goes up. Anyway, if you like to fix and repair, restore or just putz, it can be fun.

Good luck,

69 Silverback aka Loren
69 Silverback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 10:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 30' Flying Cloud
1995 25' Excella
Clear Lake , Minnesota
Kimber and I purchased a 72 Sovereign that had been "on blocks" for 14 years. We have done some work, such as replumbing to fix 4 or 5 burst pipes, and have had it looked at by an Airstream Service department and they have not found anything major. We were talked out of axles and they did replace backing plates. Magnets were the worst they had ever seen. They did recommend a new water heater (next year) and we did have the LP system checked, and the bottles and regulators replaced.

We do have issues with windows/doors needing new seals and leaks in the vista views, but there doesn't seem to be any major floor damage. We have had to replace screws to make things sturdy again, we have had to replace rivets that have popped. We have replaced 3-way switches in the lights. We still need to work on the draining of the AC to the outside of the trailer. : )

All in all, the 14 years on blocks actually left us with a trailer that is in near mint condition inside. It is just the little things that keep us busy, and having fun working on our new trailer!
The link provided by 59toaster is critical in estimating the value. It was an incredible help.
"It was impossible to get a conversation going; everybody was talking too much."
"If you don't know where you are going, you will wind up somewhere else." - Yogi Berra

sovereignrwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2004, 11:38 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Bellevue , Washington
Thanks so much for suggestions and pointers and testimonials. Helps in evaluating how much time and $ we'll need to put into this little toy/traveling home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovereignrwe
Kimber and I purchased a 72 Sovereign that had been "on blocks" for 14 years. We have done some work, such as replumbing to fix 4 or 5 burst pipes, and have had it looked at by an Airstream Service department and they have not found anything major. We were talked out of axles and they did replace backing plates. Magnets were the worst they had ever seen. They did recommend a new water heater (next year) and we did have the LP system checked, and the bottles and regulators replaced.

We do have issues with windows/doors needing new seals and leaks in the vista views, but there doesn't seem to be any major floor damage. We have had to replace screws to make things sturdy again, we have had to replace rivets that have popped. We have replaced 3-way switches in the lights. We still need to work on the draining of the AC to the outside of the trailer. : )

All in all, the 14 years on blocks actually left us with a trailer that is in near mint condition inside. It is just the little things that keep us busy, and having fun working on our new trailer!
The link provided by 59toaster is critical in estimating the value. It was an incredible help.
Naturescalin is offline   Reply With Quote