Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2021, 11:54 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Penn Valley , California
1975 Argosy Grey/Black Tank Question

Sorry for reposting this, I had it in a sub-thread but had zero response. Hoping we can get pointed in the right direction...

So we are doing what was supposed to be some cosmetic upgrades to our 1975 Argosy we purchased. The trailer had been reworked some years ago, and we wanted to make some adjustments to fit our needs a bit better (mainly dealing with travelling with little kiddos).

The previous owner had removed the traditional toilet and put a composting toilet in - we wanted to switch it back. We talked to them about it and they swore the trailer still had a black tank... Well we started the install last week and could not figure out where the toilet would connect to the black tank via the interior. We tore the flooring up and drilled some test holes and poked around to try and find the black tank connection to no avail.

Next we pulled the belly pan off and lo and behold, we only found a grey tank - a decent size one at that (15 gallons).

We were confused as our previous experience was with more modern RV that had black and grey tanks with the grey tank flushing out the black tank. We assumed that was the case here - which it does not seem to be.

So I started looking around online and am a bit confused as to how this was originally set up? Was the Black Tank above floor and the toilet resting on top of it on a platform?

Also it looks like the tank was re-plumbed but we are not sure and wanted to be sure that the plumbing we are seeing is OK/ functional. We need to purchase a new waste hose, but not sure we can find one in the correct size.

Last is there any resource that has an original manual for these trailers that we can download? If nto I think I found some online I can purchase, but it would be ideal to have digital access to it if possible.

I have included some photos as well for reference. Any help / input would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing 01.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	397637   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing 02.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	397638  

Name:	Plumbing 03.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	397639   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plumbing 04.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	187.6 KB
ID:	397640  

Toyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 08:24 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Yes, the black tank was above the floor and the toilet was mounted directly above it. The tank was wide enough that it extended under the vanity.

Cheers,

John
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:35 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Penn Valley , California
Thank you John! That's what I thought after finding some photos online, but it was not quite clear.

A follow up question, is it possible to fit a grey tank and a black tank underneath the trailer where the current grey tank is situated? There seems to be extra room there, and the current grey tank seems to be about 15 gallons in size. If we dropped the grey tank size down I think we could add in an 8 gallon or so black tank next to it?
Toyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:05 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyon View Post
Thank you John! That's what I thought after finding some photos online, but it was not quite clear.

A follow up question, is it possible to fit a grey tank and a black tank underneath the trailer where the current grey tank is situated? There seems to be extra room there, and the current grey tank seems to be about 15 gallons in size. If we dropped the grey tank size down I think we could add in an 8 gallon or so black tank next to it?
My parents' never had to take this part of their Argosy apart, so I don't know how much space is under the floor.

Regards,

John
Trnpk Crsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 10:12 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 24 Rear Door
Chesapeake , Virginia
Black tank

I have a 77 24T that I finished a frame off last fall. The trailer was basically original when I bought it. The black tank sits atop the floor against the rear wall center-line. I stayed with this config as doing anything else would have been difficult but not impossible. However, I think it would be near impossible to do frame on. I would recommend going back to original configuration as there is not enough room to put it where you are considering, plus piping interference would be problematic.
ArgosyJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 10:53 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Memories from our '76 24ft... as others have said, black tank was above the floor, basically went straight down and then out the side, grey tank was plumbed in below the floor. Had a grey tank but only 12 gallons, it was quite small due to being mounted inside a tray with insulation and heat and was also 2-3 inches below the floor so the shower drain could enter through the top, along with the plumbing from the sinks, it was a real tangle of drains and vents. I took it all out. I wanted the biggest grey tank possible so everything came out and I found a 35 gallon tank that fit nicely and could still go out the original side hole in the frame. Plumbed the shower (which we rarely used) drain into the side of the new grey tank, much less wasted space and never leaked or gave any problem. We went with a porta-potti "curve" which works great for our needs, even with the grandkids. Could still have put a black tank and toilet above the floor but would have been a lot more plumbing work. At some point someone (Dad) has to dump something messy. I'll see if I can find some pics.
Good luck, Mark D
mrdes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:55 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
1961 28' Ambassador
1968 26' Overlander
Lakewood , Colorado
Found some pics...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0244.jpg