Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-13-2016, 07:41 AM   #1

1971 31' Sovereign
San Marcos , Texas
1972 Sovreign, Complete Restore

Howdy folks.
This is my first post, but I'm sure I'll be pretty active in the coming months. I purchased a 1972 Sovereign for what seemed like a good deal. I was thinking that it would have to be in pretty poor shape not to be a good deal. Interior smells a little musty. The floor is a little spongy in places. The exterior is largely free of dents. My idea is to either live in it or restore it to the point where I can sell if for a decent profit. Still up in the air about that. But for now, I KNOW there's failing insulation, and I KNOW there's wood rot, so there HAS to be at least one leaky spot in the exterior. Probably several. Knowing this, I figure that a complete interior restore is in order. At this point, I'm attempting to remove the outdated kitchenette and other structures so that I can remove the interior skin and insulation and then see what we've got. My first order of business is to fix leaks, repair electrical and plumbing, then insulate, then rebuild. If I knew what I was in for, I'd likely never get started, so I'm just jumping right in. Feel free to steer me straight.
jaybird5013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 07:48 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
Howdy from Texas! Good luck with your project! I've heard others say to make templates out of anything you remove--floor pieces, cabinets, etc. I've not restored a trailer before, but many on the forums have done awesome work restoring theirs.
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:00 AM   #3

1971 31' Sovereign
San Marcos , Texas
1972 Sovreign

https://www.facebook.com/jaybirdster/posts/10206629856372467
Old 11-13-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybird5013 View Post
My idea is to either live in it or restore it to the point where I can sell if for a decent profit.
Don't want to bust your bubble, but......... 70s Airstreams are not in as high demand as older Airstreams. Sovereigns are not in as much demand as smaller units. IMHO as an investment you would be lucky to break even.

By the way I have an original 200+ page 1975 Airstream Shop manual. Send me a pm if you are interested.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:22 AM   #5

1971 31' Sovereign
San Marcos , Texas
This is funny. It's a 1971 Sovreign, not a 1972. Sigh...
Old 11-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Camas , Washington
Be sure to check the frame in the rear. We had to replace 2 cross members 2 out riggers and 3 feet of the main frame on our 72 Safari. The frame was so rusted there were holes through it and 1/4 of one cross member was completely gone from rust. The rest of the frame was fine though.

Good luck just make this a hobby, I found out the saying "it like eating a whale one bite at a time" is true. For me at times I would reach a point of frustration, I told Pam when I reach that point I would stop and walk away for the day. I would come back the next day with a new better outlook. Worked for me, some days It was only an hour or so. If you run into any issues do your research. Research, research! find out as much as you can before you make decision on everything. If you can't find the answer and have your own way or you have a better way to do something post for future reference. Have fun with your project.
Pams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 11:29 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
1973 29' Ambassador
1978 31' Sovereign
Palm Desert , California
Yeah, that'll take some work but doable.

That's not a '71. The '71 has a toilet placed diagonally.

http://vintageairstream.com/photo-archives/
CaCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 01:01 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Hollywood , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMc View Post
Howdy from Texas! Good luck with your project! I've heard others say to make templates out of anything you remove--floor pieces, cabinets, etc. I've not restored a trailer before, but many on the forums have done awesome work restoring theirs.
Just keep all the crap until you are done. Write on the pieces where they came from. Lots of photos, before and after are very useful too.
Cleareye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #9

1971 31' Sovereign
San Marcos , Texas
11/13/2016

Thanks for the advice. '71 is what was on the registration, but it means nothing to me. Today I took apart the kitchenette, the two closets and half of the bathroom. The front end looks to be clad in some sort of preform plastic. No way to save. Oddly enough, the back in seems to be clad in textured aluminum over what appears to be spray foam. And so the cladding there is holding up. Yay! But it sags so much back there I would be greatly relieved if the problem was not the frame itself but the support. We'll see as I get further along!
Old 11-13-2016, 05:31 PM   #10
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Welcome to the hobby Jay! And welcome to the forums.

Take a look at some of the restorations in this thread It's sort a thread of threads. Focus in on the early to mid '70's restorations. LOTS of good info there.

I would think that fixin' her up and then trying to resell won't net you much above what you have in it. Just the reality of old Airstreams...unless you go all out and create a beautiful work of art with all new bells, whistles and whatsits that nobody ever thought of.

Take your time and have fun with it. Make something you'll enjoy. Looks like an interesting project, very similar to mine. If you'll post the VIN number we can help you decipher what year it is. I tried to view it on your photos, but can't make it clear enough.

I'll be watching along on this thread. I you need something, juts ask. Folks here are more than willing to help out!

Congrats and welcome.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:30 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Calgary , Alberta
My 73 has been in progress for over a year now. We just came in from putting up some inner skin panels. Have fun and welcome.
DaK
DaKs is offline   Reply With Quote