Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-06-2022, 12:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Harrington , WA
1970 Caravel Help needed in Eastern WA

I am located 60 miles west of Spokane, WA. I inherited a 1970 18’ Caravel several years ago. My husband & I were going to fix enough of the issues to make it roadworthy once I retired. Unfortunately, he passed away 3 years ago and I've been trying to find folks to help with misc. repairs.

The last person I lined up for the next tasks moved out of state. I can't afford a "frame-off" reconstruction.

Immediate needs: new air conditioner (the cover broke on old one & is being held on with rope wrapped around the whole trailer!); I need someone able to snake in PEX to bypass the copper piping, etc.

I would prefer reliable knowledgeable private individual or commercial shop (familiar with Airstream) in eastern WA or northern Idaho. North eastern OR or eastern MT might also work. I am "somewhat handy" but not without "supervision" and have NO RV trailer experience and at 67 not as physically strong as I used to be! Financial resources are limited.

If it would help: Here's a link to "Airstream Project Notes" I've kept over last couple of years: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yi4ed6kpim...-6-22.pdf?dl=0

Any advice or recommendations appreciated
Thank You!
Karen Robertson
Harrington, WA
KarenCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 10:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
Karen,

You could spend many hours, days, and dollars fixing up your classic trailer. Airstreams often cast a spell on owners and have an uncanny way of constantly demanding time, attention and finances from us.

But here is a thought: since you have very little RV experience, before you spend another dime on your '70, why not rent a camper of similar size and weight, and go camping a time or two?

See if you like it. You just might, or you may decide towing a trailer, setting it up and breaking camp and hooking it up and so on might be a bit much.

You have a number of options:
  1. Sell it and pocket a nice sum in today's market; RVs are hot right now, even in her present condition.
  2. Spend as much as you like getting her roadworthy (knowing she will always want more)
  3. If you like camping, calculate how much it would cost you to occasioanly rent a camper, or purchase a cheaper camper, or restore this one
  4. If you decide to sell, using the profit to travel in other ways, or go overseas

You have many options before you. Life is short. Spend what you can afford on the things that will bring you the most joy, to the extent money can. The trailer should only ever be a means, never the end.
skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 04:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Wenatchee , Washington
I have nothing to offer, I could destroy the world with a screwdriver but I’ve driven through Harrington a few times and it always takes me back to my youth, reminiscing about how simple life used to be. What a beautiful town! I wish you the best.
WBCCI #7180
21Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 04:37 AM   #4
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Are you a member of Airstream Club? Your local chapter will be a great starting point in the search for a suitable helper.

If your local chapter is anything like mine, you'll find a wide range of members. There will be the end of the spectrum who have new(er) trailers and have everything fixed at the dealer, all the way to the other end with members who are doing full frame-off restorations and hand make parts for their trailers.

During the off-season our chapter has luncheons at area restaurants which is a great way to meet members and learn about all the various skills people have and are willing to share.

This would be my suggestion for finding someone in your area who can help.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 03:28 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Harrington , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyguyscott View Post
Karen,

You could spend many hours, days, and dollars fixing up your classic trailer. Airstreams often cast a spell on owners and have an uncanny way of constantly demanding time, attention and finances from us.

But here is a thought: since you have very little RV experience, before you spend another dime on your '70, why not rent a camper of similar size and weight, and go camping a time or two?

See if you like it. You just might, or you may decide towing a trailer, setting it up and breaking camp and hooking it up and so on might be a bit much.

You have a number of options:
  1. Sell it and pocket a nice sum in today's market; RVs are hot right now, even in her present condition.
  2. Spend as much as you like getting her roadworthy (knowing she will always want more)
  3. If you like camping, calculate how much it would cost you to occasioanly rent a camper, or purchase a cheaper camper, or restore this one
  4. If you decide to sell, using the profit to travel in other ways, or go overseas

You have many options before you. Life is short. Spend what you can afford on the things that will bring you the most joy, to the extent money can. The trailer should only ever be a means, never the end.
Thanks so much for your kind, well thought out considerations and recommendations.
For now - I plan to proceed - SLOWLY. If the requirements to make my Caravel roadworthy become financially beyond my means, I'll consider some of your options.

While I do not have personal experience with the DETAILS of RV maintenance and operation, I WAS involved with horses for many years and have pulled horse trailers in traffic and in the backcountry. I have a long time friend who DOES have a NON-Airstream trailer about the same size. I have accompanied her to music/art festivals and to the backcountry. I would like to use my trailer to pursue my interests in photography, attend music festivals, visit family on the other side of the country and be able to take my two cats with me instead of hiring a kitty-sitter for extended periods of time.

But as you observed, the details of getting this trailer roadworthy and maintaining it MAY be biting off more than I can chew! But for now - I want to try to "set the table" so-to-speak and get a taste of it. Still - I need to be realistic about the financial aspects and will keep your advice in mind!
Thanks again for your honest, compassionate reply,
Karen
Old 06-07-2022, 03:32 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Harrington , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Airstream View Post
I have nothing to offer, I could destroy the world with a screwdriver but I’ve driven through Harrington a few times and it always takes me back to my youth, reminiscing about how simple life used to be. What a beautiful town! I wish you the best.
Thanks for your reply! Yes, Harrington, WA is a great little town! We are trying hard to stay viable and maintain the historic character of our small downtown. Though a bit far from some amenities, it's a good place to visit and a good "home base."
Old 06-07-2022, 03:40 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Harrington , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
Are you a member of Airstream Club? Your local chapter will be a great starting point in the search for a suitable helper.

If your local chapter is anything like mine, you'll find a wide range of members. There will be the end of the spectrum who have new(er) trailers and have everything fixed at the dealer, all the way to the other end with members who are doing full frame-off restorations and hand make parts for their trailers.

During the off-season our chapter has luncheons at area restaurants which is a great way to meet members and learn about all the various skills people have and are willing to share.

This would be my suggestion for finding someone in your area who can help.
I am a member of several on-line "groups" but to my knowledge there is not a truly local Airstream Club with members geographically close enough to lend a hand. I have a friend 1 1/2 hours away who HAS helped but is restoring his daughter's airstream (frame-up reconstruction) and does not have time to take on my project as well. Two different people who were helping (one installed the new dexter axle) moved out of the area. Hence my search for someone else to provide "hands-on" assistance.
Thanks for your suggestions!
Karen
Old 06-07-2022, 06:13 PM   #8
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenCR View Post
I am a member of several on-line "groups" but to my knowledge there is not a truly local Airstream Club with members geographically close enough to lend a hand. I have a friend 1 1/2 hours away who HAS helped but is restoring his daughter's airstream (frame-up reconstruction) and does not have time to take on my project as well. Two different people who were helping (one installed the new dexter axle) moved out of the area. Hence my search for someone else to provide "hands-on" assistance.
Thanks for your suggestions!
Karen
There's a chapter of Airstream Club in Spokane: https://airstreamclub.org/inland-nw

My guess is that there are members spread all over the surrounding parts of the state.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 01:18 PM   #9

Coeur D Alene , Idaho
Hi Karen,

you might want to look into Dixon Helgeson at NW Adventure Rentals.

https://nwadventurerentals.com/airst...ce-and-repair/

He's a master certified mechanic and has been working with Airstreams his entire life. Heard nothing but good things from there.
Tsnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 11:44 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1970 18' Caravel
Harrington , WA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsnap View Post
Hi Karen,

you might want to look into Dixon Helgeson at NW Adventure Rentals.

https://nwadventurerentals.com/airst...ce-and-repair/

He's a master certified mechanic and has been working with Airstreams his entire life. Heard nothing but good things from there.
Thank you! You are the 2nd person to mention Dixon's name to me in the past week! I will definitely follow up! I DID contact the service department at Airstream Adventures in Spokane last week and someone was supposed to get back to me - but so far they haven't. I'll try Dixon.
Thanks again.

Tags
caravel