Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
jonathan

1969 23' Safari
Homestead , Florida
1969 SAFARI 23' (can of worms)

Hi,
3 questions.
I am replacing the axle for my 69 Safari and the guy at the axle place said with the new style Torson axles that I dont need shocks.... is this right..??

Replacing water tank and the waste pipe work, I have noticed 2 (vent pipes) going to the roof can I do away with these ...?

I am replacing the belly skin and the original has some kind of inter locking system do I have get this made up or can i just over lap the panels

Thanks for the help again
jonnyregis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Raleigh , North Carolina
I just order my replacement axle for my 69 single axle safari. I opted for a 6000# with shock mounts. Went with a dexter axle. Two weeks or so and it will be here so I can install. I've read that some people opt for no shocks but why take them off. They are only about $60 more bucks and should help the ride. Make sure you buy the ones from AS. Out of doors mart sells them on their website.

Vent pipes are necessary. The best way to visualize what they do is to picture what a straw does when you put your finer on the top of it when it is full of liquid. It will hold the water/liquid in the straw. In addition to proper drainage it helps with sewer gas.

As for the skin. When you undo the rivets the side skin will come free allowing you to get to the belly skin. Kinda like pealing a banana.

Good luck with your project. I've been down the roads you are on. Post some pics.
BoCox is offline   Reply With Quote