Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2018, 08:38 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portsmouth , Virginia
1968 Streamline Empress Renovation: Build Thread and Questions

Like many others, my wife and I have found towed a disused, vintage travel trailer into the backyard with the hopes of renovating, upgrading, and adapting for full time living. We bought a 1968 (we think) Streamline Empress, 29' from tongue to bumper.

We've actually had her for close to a year and a half now, though work, family, and the general whirlwind of life have kept the rate of progress slow, at least until now. Having already had the bearings, brakes, suspension, and tires replaced, and break-away box installed, we've taken our time gutting the entire trailer. It was not our intention to take her down to the bones, but it was a classic case of peeling away layers and discovering just how extensive the water damage was (and how settled the bees, squirrels, and birds had become -- who knew fiberglass was such a convenient nesting material). Moreover, we've saved as much of the interior framing, cabinets, etc. as we could, not yet knowing fully which pieces we're going to re-install or re-purpose.

Long story short, I'm about 98% done with the inner skin and fiberglass removal, and thought I'd start in with some of the questions I've been meaning to ask, and there will be many.

First, being as the next priority task will be to re-seal the outer skin now that it's exposed with all of the insulation gone, I'm wondering how to address the holes in the belly pan where the steel frame exits (see photos). I presume gaps were there from the beginning, though it looks like a serious opportunity for road wash and muck to get into the belly section. Any suggestions on how to seal up these gaps? Spray foam? Silicon? I imagine that, whatever I use, is going to have to work with the inevitable movement of the frame and aluminum skin during travel.

Second, I've noticed that the belly pan isn't riveted to each of the floor "joists," that it actually hangs below most of them. Is there a specific reason for this? Is there an argument against my riveting the belly pan aluminum to the frame, more than it already is?

Third, I've noticed there are several vents in the exterior skin covered by "clam shell" fittings. I don't believe water was getting into any of these, but insects definitely were. I thought it odd that none of them had screens over the vent holes. What is the reason for those vents and why did they expose the fiberglass insulation to the outside air?

Lastly, do any of you have suggestions for where I can source some replacement aluminum for the belly pan? Vintage trailer supply is the obvious go-to, though I wonder how well the .032" Alclad they offer will match or hold up for the belly pan section I need to replace.

More to come... (and thanks in advance).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0155.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	314.3 KB
ID:	312115   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0159.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	241.4 KB
ID:	312116  

Name:	IMG_4520.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	484.5 KB
ID:	312117  
FrontPageSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 08:05 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portsmouth , Virginia
*Bump.

Anyone have any thoughts on sealing up those gaps between the belly skin and the frame? Also, any idea why the belly skin isn't riveted to every cross member of the steel frame?
Old 06-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portsmouth , Virginia
Also, please let me know if I'd be better served starting this thread in another section.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Belly skin can be made of most any alloy, 5052 or 3003 are good choices. you should be able to source it locally. Just because the skin is not currently riveted to the frames is no reason why you can't do it now, use the large head pop rivets, and paint the aluminum where it contacts the steel frame.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portsmouth , Virginia
OK, good to know. I just wondered if there was a specific reason that belly skin had not all been riveted to the frame when the trailer was built. WRT painting in the contact area, that's a good suggestion as well. I'm currently in the process of priming the entire steel frame while it's exposed to take care of the rust.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portsmouth , Virginia
More photos

A few more photos from the deconstruction/construction process.

Gutting is about at 99% (without removing the entire shell off of the steel frame, which we're not going to do). The bundle of wires and cables is mostly all the 120 VAC wiring that I'm going to replace.

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	249.9 KB
ID:	313822

Name:	IMG_1565.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	313823
Old 06-13-2018, 06:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Are you going to repair the damage on the right forward corner while you have the interior opened up?

Now would also be a good time to install some gray water tanks.
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:05 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portsmouth , Virginia
Phased renovation

"Are you going to repair the damage on the right forward corner while you have the interior opened up?"

Yes, absolutely. There's damage at the bottom right forward corner, the top left forward corner, and the entire aft section, as you've already seen.

"Now would also be a good time to install some gray water tanks."

Agreed. We're re-using the original black water tank as a gray water tank since it's form-fit to that aft belly section, and the only way to install it is from the bottom with the belly skin removed. I've already cleaned it and tested for leaks, but need to adapt some of the existing plumbing on the tank, namely the toilet flange (which needs to be sealed off) and the outlet connection on the side.

In addition, I'm planning on installing two freshwater tanks in the belly, right over the axles, but haven't sourced those yet.

My primary focus now that the demo is mostly complete (minus gutting the door and removing the rooftop A/C unit) is to re-seal all seams from the inside, prime the steel frame, and take care of any aluminum patching.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:48 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Portsmouth , Virginia
More photos from deconstruction

Here are just a few more photos from the deconstruction. I'm impressed by all of you who, in your build threads, describe finishing the entire gutting in a matter of weeks. All of this has taken us the better part of a year. A lot of that is due to our working only on the weekends or just little bits here and there (my wife and I both work full time and have young children), but we've also been careful to save any part of the interior that we might still use. So it's been more of a "disassembly" than a "demo."

If you notice in the second-to-last photo, there's a Carolina wren hovering inside next to the window. He made a home up in the forward shelves this past spring. In the last photo, you can see some of the scribbles made in grease pencil when the trailer was assembled -- I love finding these little glimpses into its past.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4535.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	314055   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4538.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	314056  

Name:	IMG_4593.jpg