Originally Posted by PJBWFG
Ten things you should know about restoring a Vintage Airstream
1. Aluminum hates you.
2. Old period interiors smell like really old period interiors
3. No human can fit into the shower, only certain parts get wet at any given time
4. No human can extend their legs in the bathtub and not get stuck
5. Buck rivets suck
6. Interior walls are made of an alien compound; they are sticky and remain – sticky.
7. The fold down stairs will eventually reach out and bite you
8. There is a huge difference between black and gray water
9. The bananas are always bruised (if you own an Airstream, no explanation is necessary)
10. When you are finished the hundred’s of hours required to polish an Airstream to a mirror finish it will only reveal that you are older, fatter and – surprise, have grey hair.
It is impossible to poop in an Airstream and not feel like you are being watched; I don’t know why that is though. I'm just saying'
Paul J Burt
I know this was written tongue and cheek, but I have to disagree with all but two…
1. Aluminum loves you. It wants your blood badly. Once a little blood is drawn it tends to be very happy and cooperative.
2. Old interiors smell like those who have lived in them. If you allow mice, or the previous owner has allowed mice to live there, it smells like them. Be glad you did not have a raccoon living in your interior.
3. My 1962
shower is extremely spacious and allows for a very comfortable shower. I never use the bath house since my water is hotter and the shower is larger. In your era, the shower was indeed way too small.
4. I agree with the not enough room to stretch out in the tub. It is a trailer however and not an apartment.
5. (I would not have responded to this thread except for number 5) Buck rivets do not suck! Buck rivets are incredibly cool things. They come in many shapes and sizes and do what they do very well. If you think buck rivets suck, you should go to counseling for that. They are your friends and are what makes an Airstream unique. 10,000 of them were used to make your rig.
6. That alien thing you find sticky is called social norm. In the day it was a social norm to smoke. Just about everyone did back in the 70's and you are now paying the bill for this. The listing said "smoke free" "non smoker" or "never smoked in" That is bold faced lie. You wanted to believe it to be true, it was a lie.
7. Your steps will bite you just like your dog will if you treat it badly. Now your hitch, it will bite you for no reason at all. It usually takes skin when it does.
8. There is very little difference between black and grey water. You need to get rid of both. They both are disposed of through the same hose. You want to just dump them on the ground but cannot.
9. The bananas were never bruised until Wally Byam died. He thought Airstreams as yachts and no boater allows bananas on his or her boat. It is pure bad luck. Those who followed Wally did not realize this.
10. The polishing aspect is so true, the curve of the trailer makes one look fatter I think. The black Oxide makes the hair look grayer.
Bonus; if you close the bathroom door and do not wait till open house time to poop, no one sees you.