Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > General Repair Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2014, 11:25 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Aftermarket Gray Water Tank add-on
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan
Great Post Paul,
Having owned and restored a 73 overlander i can relate to 9 out of the 10
please correct me if I'm wrong, a 73 does Not have Grey water tank ??
What was it with those vinyl covered sticky wall, yuk !!!!

Cheers Tim

FYI

Vintage Trailer Supply sells a polypropylene one to add between the floor frame rails - without the "belly bulge" seen on some retrofitted early trailers that came without the gray tank from new.

We're thinking about it for whenever we have to work on the belly pans of our 1960 Avion T20 - if it fits our floor frame too.

Cheers!
Tom (Jana's honey-do worker bee)
///////
janabanana48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:47 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
kettering , northants
Quote:
Originally Posted by janabanana48 View Post
Aftermarket Gray Water Tank add-on
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan
Great Post Paul,
Having owned and restored a 73 overlander i can relate to 9 out of the 10
please correct me if I'm wrong, a 73 does Not have Grey water tank ??
What was it with those vinyl covered sticky wall, yuk !!!!

Cheers Tim

FYI

Vintage Trailer Supply sells a polypropylene one to add between the floor frame rails - without the "belly bulge" seen on some retrofitted early trailers that came without the gray tank from new.

We're thinking about it for whenever we have to work on the belly pans of our 1960 Avion T20 - if it fits our floor frame too.

Cheers!
Tom (Jana's honey-do worker bee)
///////
Hi Tom,
Small world, i'm 90% through my 2nd resto, i have a 60 Avion T24,
I'd love to have the resources you guys have but I'm in the UK so have to make do and mend, i have used VTS quite a few times for small parts, but the Avion was pretty much intact when i brought it over.
i will post before and after pics soon.
and i was only kidding about the grey water tanks,

cheers
Tim
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 05:24 AM   #23
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJBWFG View Post
Ten things you should know about restoring a Vintage Airstream

1. Aluminum hates you.
2. Old period interiors smell like really old period interiors
3. No human can fit into the shower, only certain parts get wet at any given time
4. No human can extend their legs in the bathtub and not get stuck
5. Buck rivets suck
6. Interior walls are made of an alien compound; they are sticky and remain – sticky.
7. The fold down stairs will eventually reach out and bite you
8. There is a huge difference between black and gray water
9. The bananas are always bruised (if you own an Airstream, no explanation is necessary)
10. When you are finished the hundred’s of hours required to polish an Airstream to a mirror finish it will only reveal that you are older, fatter and – surprise, have grey hair.

Bonus item:

It is impossible to poop in an Airstream and not feel like you are being watched; I don’t know why that is though. I'm just saying'

Paul J Burt
I know this was written tongue and cheek, but I have to disagree with all but two…
1. Aluminum loves you. It wants your blood badly. Once a little blood is drawn it tends to be very happy and cooperative.
2. Old interiors smell like those who have lived in them. If you allow mice, or the previous owner has allowed mice to live there, it smells like them. Be glad you did not have a raccoon living in your interior.
3. My 1962 shower is extremely spacious and allows for a very comfortable shower. I never use the bath house since my water is hotter and the shower is larger. In your era, the shower was indeed way too small.
4. I agree with the not enough room to stretch out in the tub. It is a trailer however and not an apartment.
5. (I would not have responded to this thread except for number 5) Buck rivets do not suck! Buck rivets are incredibly cool things. They come in many shapes and sizes and do what they do very well. If you think buck rivets suck, you should go to counseling for that. They are your friends and are what makes an Airstream unique. 10,000 of them were used to make your rig.
6. That alien thing you find sticky is called social norm. In the day it was a social norm to smoke. Just about everyone did back in the 70's and you are now paying the bill for this. The listing said "smoke free" "non smoker" or "never smoked in" That is bold faced lie. You wanted to believe it to be true, it was a lie.
7. Your steps will bite you just like your dog will if you treat it badly. Now your hitch, it will bite you for no reason at all. It usually takes skin when it does.
8. There is very little difference between black and grey water. You need to get rid of both. They both are disposed of through the same hose. You want to just dump them on the ground but cannot.
9. The bananas were never bruised until Wally Byam died. He thought Airstreams as yachts and no boater allows bananas on his or her boat. It is pure bad luck. Those who followed Wally did not realize this.
10. The polishing aspect is so true, the curve of the trailer makes one look fatter I think. The black Oxide makes the hair look grayer.

Bonus; if you close the bathroom door and do not wait till open house time to poop, no one sees you.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Hi Tom,
Small world, i'm 90% through my 2nd resto, i have a 60 Avion T24,
I'd love to have the resources you guys have but I'm in the UK so have to make do and mend, i have used VTS quite a few times for small parts, but the Avion was pretty much intact when i brought it over.
i will post before and after pics soon.
and i was only kidding about the grey water tanks,

cheers
Tim
Tim -
I love the T24 & could live in it if we ever drastically downsized - especially the DB model with the long chest of drawers on the streetside. We've seen a couple of twin bed ones at the big Pismo vintage rally in 2014 & 2012.

Which do you have - TB or DB?

Anyway - 1 or 2 of the 4" gray tanks below would be a nice addition to your T24's resto!

Also, there is a 1950s (maybe 1960 model year) original Avion T24 factory brochure for sale on US evil-bay (eBay) right now - if you're interested in those sorts of things to accompany your vintage trailer...

Vintage 1950's Avion 24 ft Travel Trailer camper Manual Brochure Excellent | eBay

Also, those cone full wheel hubcaps in the pics on that brochure & most other ads are available online at Hubcap Mike's here in our hometown of Orange CA (also our T20 is the example pic on his website)...

Cone-Style Moon Hubcaps 1957 Plymouth 15 inch Also Trailer Wheel Covers

Keep auto wax on them so they don't rust in damp jolly ole UK!

Enjoy your caravaning mate!

All -
Apparently I double posted above when I meant to include a 2nd post with the links to the VTS tanks - for those interested.

So here the 4" frame one which is 16 gals:
Gray Water Tank 50"

& here is the 5" frame size (don't know the gals - but maybe around 20-ish):
Gray Tank 5" Chassis Frame

Cheers!
Tom
///////
janabanana48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:19 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Since you brought up poop, let's not forget leaks.

Number 11 if I may:

After hours of tedious picking, pecking, squeezing, drying and testing to stop a leak, the next rain event you will surly find water on your new floor.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 07:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Geez, every Airstream since 1980 or earlier has had a belly pan box covering water tanks. Adds capacity, provides easier draining, provides easier servicing.

This belly pan box is also an excellent road kill remover. Your highway department will thank you.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:01 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Avinger , Texas
Vintage airstream.... Where it's cool to pee in the shower
grayling is offline   Reply With Quote