Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2004, 07:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Exclamation Which Brake Controller????

I need a brake controller for my SUV...GMC Yukon...I have the tow package, so it is pre-wired...

How is the Prodogy...I was told it is the best???

Any other sugestions....

Thanks.
blrpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 08:11 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

BrakeSmart

We bought the BrakeSmart about three weeks ago directly from the company. It's sophisticated and we are thrilled with it (towed 2500 miles over eight days) and we'd do it again in a minute.

Tom and Frank
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 08:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
brakes

I have the Prodigy. Worked fine. Just bought a Brakesmart for new tow vehicle.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 08:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
The Prodigy works great. We've used one on two Airstreams. It's one of two brake controllers (the other being the Jordan Ultima) that most forum members recommend. They each use different technology and people tend to feel strongly about them (I didn't say holy war...). Do a search on the forum and you will find many discussions and in depth analysis on this topic. One of the all time favorites. After my forum research I picked the Prodigy.
Ken
Old 07-25-2004, 08:26 PM   #5
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
BrakeSmart

I have the BrakeSmart ... more expensive than the Jordon or Prodigy ... but worth it.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 08:35 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I started with a Digitrac II, sold to me by the local trailer shop when we bought the rig. When I got a new axel and replaced the brakes we upgraded to the Prodigy because the Digitrac had caused the brakes to overheat and they had stress cracks on them. The shop felt this was because the Digitrac applied the brakes on a timer, and over however many seconds it would ramp up to full power and keep it there. Driving home with the Prodigy, it appeared to vary how much power it applied to the brakes, and then it let off after we were stopped, even though my foot was still on the pedal. So hopefully the new brakes will last longer with the new Prodigy. The old brakes were only a couple years old if that, because the PO replaced them right before I bought it. Guess I should have started out with the Prodigy.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 08:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Thanks everyone

I am seriously considering th Prodigy or the Brakesmart now that I have been poking around reading everyone opinions...I don't care so much about the extra $ as long as I don't have to buy another one in a month!

Tin Hut...since you have both, do you have a preference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Hut
I have the Prodigy. Worked fine. Just bought a Brakesmart for new tow vehicle.
Thanks again all...
Old 07-25-2004, 08:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Is the 'Brakesmart' the one that ties into the master cyl. for it's input???
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Jordon 2020 Ultima

What I like best about the Jordon is the fact that it works in conjunction with your brake pedal. The more brake you apply the more brakes the Jordon will apply.
It is very simple to hook up and use.

The brakesmart works simular, but instead of hooking to the brake pedal it hooks into the actual brake line reading the pressure you use to brake and applying thusly. This is also a good system, but a bit more complicated to hook up.

The Profigy is far above the other motion sensitive brake controllors and it is simple to hook up also.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:04 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed & Debbie
That's the one.............

John G
Old 07-25-2004, 09:09 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
It does use a pressure sensor tied into the brake lines. I've just reviewed some posts on other forums and it's highly recommended. My own preference is for electronics vs. mechanical (Jordan) or brake system surgery. That's why I originally picked the Prodigy. The BrakeSmart does sound like it's the hot item right now though.
Ken
Old 07-25-2004, 09:22 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback
It does use a pressure sensor tied into the brake lines. I've just reviewed some posts on other forums and it's highly recommended. My own preference is for electronics vs. mechanical (Jordan) or brake system surgery. That's why I originally picked the Prodigy. The BrakeSmart does sound like it's the hot item right now though.
Ken
The Jordon's mechanical portion is only the cable that attaches to the brake pedal. It attaches very easy to the clamp and housing porvided and that part is hooked up by tightening 2 set screws.
When the brakes are applied the cable is pulled and how much pull will determine how much the unit applies brakes to the trailer. There is also a sensitivity set on the Jordon so you can make the brakes more or less sensitive. Very simple really.
I really wouldn't want to get into brake surgery as you have put it myself, but I think the brakesmart is a good system. However, if I were to purchase one I would de3finately have it installed by a professional. Don't like the idea of something going wrong (Hate Mr. Murphy) and suddenly having no brakes.
If it's electronics that you like then the choice should be the Prodigy without question. IMHO It is far far ahead of the others of the same catagory.

John G
Old 07-25-2004, 09:24 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Thanks Silverback. I have a digital type with the 'time-delay-to-full-power' circuit. It was a quick fix addition when first purchased. Need something better for the same reasons as posted above.
I've seen the Brakesmart type? (not sure if there is another brand) that ties to the master cyl. & was impressed. The Prodigy has also been a serious consideration. I'll be getting a new controller before our trip to Jackson Center in Aug.; appx. 2500 mi. tround trip. I'll post which one I get and opine on it's merits &/or faults.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:38 PM   #14
The Sh*tt*r's Full!

1970 27' Overlander
lewisville , Texas
I'm using the Tekonsha Envoy. Tried to decide between it and the Prodigy... My tow vehicle is a 97 Expedition. I towed the 27' I just purchased over 500 miles, and it worked wonderfully! STICK WITH TEKONSHA!!
dbtolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 09:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
Thanks Silverback. I have a digital type with the 'time-delay-to-full-power' circuit. It was a quick fix addition when first purchased. Need something better for the same reasons as posted above.
I've seen the Brakesmart type? (not sure if there is another brand) that ties to the master cyl. & was impressed. The Prodigy has also been a serious consideration. I'll be getting a new controller before our trip to Jackson Center in Aug.; appx. 2500 mi. tround trip. I'll post which one I get and opine on it's merits &/or faults.
Ed & Debbie I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 3, Brakesmart, Jordon, or Prodigy. I have had a drawtite before and never had a problem. Now I use a Jordon and have fell in love with it so I guess I am a little bit leaned that way on giving advise.

John G
Old 07-25-2004, 09:59 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Red face Wow

At this point I am leaning toward the Jordan or the Prodigy...I don't want to hook up to the master cyclynder if I don't have too...Jordan sounds fairly easy to hook up as I am pretty handy and it makes sense to me...even easier would be the Prodigy...plug and play in my rig, but then you have to program it, so it might take as long or longer than the Jordan...hmmmm

Eveyone here rocks...thanks all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG
What I like best about the Jordon is the fact that it works in conjunction with your brake pedal. The more brake you apply the more brakes the Jordon will apply.
It is very simple to hook up and use.

The brakesmart works simular, but instead of hooking to the brake pedal it hooks into the actual brake line reading the pressure you use to brake and applying thusly. This is also a good system, but a bit more complicated to hook up.

The Profigy is far above the other motion sensitive brake controllors and it is simple to hook up also.
Old 07-25-2004, 10:11 PM   #17
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Well, I own the tekonsha Prodigy, and I feel that it's ok, but not great.
Wherever I go, I have to start out in stop and go through or around Los Angeles, and this Prodigy is not a lot of fun in stop and go. Frequent adjustments are necessary to keep it from jerking the brakes just before stopping. It makes a difference if stopping from 15mph, or 25mph, or 40mph. I hate this thing in traffic conditions.
Here are a few factors I feel are important to consider:
I tow with a Suburban 1500, AD1997. Weak brakes to begin with. I must have good Trailer braking to feel safe. The Prodigy in this case seems out of it's league, because my rig makes it very obvious what the brake controller does.
If you tow with a Tow Vehicle that has better brakes ( or real ones, for that matter),
then the Prodigy will work fine, because the Tow truck can do more of the work.
My Prodigy works excellent on country roads or normal travel, mind you. I am very pleased with it's performance other than in stop and go, or in city traffic. My trailer brakes are new, and adjusted properly.
So, I feel it's a 50/50 solution. I am not one of the die hard Prodigy customers, for sure. I will try the Jordan Ultima next.
Old 07-25-2004, 11:54 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Well, I own the tekonsha Prodigy, and I feel that it's ok, but not great.
Wherever I go, I have to start out in stop and go through or around Los Angeles, and this Prodigy is not a lot of fun in stop and go. Frequent adjustments are necessary to keep it from jerking the brakes just before stopping. It makes a difference if stopping from 15mph, or 25mph, or 40mph. I hate this thing in traffic conditions.
Here are a few factors I feel are important to consider:
I tow with a Suburban 1500, AD1997. Weak brakes to begin with. I must have good Trailer braking to feel safe. The Prodigy in this case seems out of it's league, because my rig makes it very obvious what the brake controller does.
If you tow with a Tow Vehicle that has better brakes ( or real ones, for that matter),
then the Prodigy will work fine, because the Tow truck can do more of the work.
My Prodigy works excellent on country roads or normal travel, mind you. I am very pleased with it's performance other than in stop and go, or in city traffic. My trailer brakes are new, and adjusted properly.
So, I feel it's a 50/50 solution. I am not one of the die hard Prodigy customers, for sure. I will try the Jordan Ultima next.
Maybe it's just that you feel your trailer brakes so much better at the slower speeds. I know I would hate to adjust my controller for each traffic situation........Just a thought.

John G
Old 07-26-2004, 02:06 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
I have the Jordan controler
I have a 1957 imperial as tow car with just a single master brake cilinder
In this case I prefer the cable to the brake pedal If there is something wrong with the brakes of the car I have full controll over the trailor brakes without needing to use the emergency button on the controler
remco r van lent the netherlands
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 06:57 AM   #20
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Jordan owners... a question... many of the new Fords offer the adjustable pedal contraption. Would the Jordan work with adjustable pedals?

BTW, I have a Tekonsha Prodigy in my Toyota pickup and a Tekonsha Sentinel in my Excursion. Both perform adequately. I can't rave about either. Their draw for me was their ease of installation.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote