Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2004, 07:14 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
contolloer

I have not installed the Brakesmart yet on the new TV. I bought it after advise from friends that had looked into it. It eliminates brake fade....sometimes on my Prodigy I end up using the lever to add more pressure when coming off an off ramp or slowing. I have the trailer brakes set to lead the car but I guess that is what brake fade is. The Brakesmart doesn't fade. Also, the Brakesmart will alert you if you have a brake disconnect (wiring or voltage irregularity). When you read the install directions on their site it's pretty simple to hook up. Free software upgrades as well. I'll let you know how they compare after I install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blrpix
I am seriously considering th Prodigy or the Brakesmart now that I have been poking around reading everyone opinions...I don't care so much about the extra $ as long as I don't have to buy another one in a month!

Tin Hut...since you have both, do you have a preference?

Thanks again all...

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2004, 11:28 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Which controller....

I've had two electronic controllers in the past 18 yrs. (the names withheld to avoid controversy) nyther to my liking. Last year I installed, what some would call a dinosaur, an old hydro controller. Now I can do this because I still use a vehicle that does NOT have ABS. Folks, if you have a tow vehicle that can use this DO IT!! You'll have brakes you thought never exisisted.
If you have ABS the next best is the Brakesmart system. After reviewing the sceme's it is no different than the old hydro system. Instead of using fluid as a transmitter it uses an electronical signal from the master cylinder via the sensor. Don't be scared, master cylinders aren't that cantankerous.

Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2004, 12:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Brakesmart it is...

There are several excellent brake controllers out there. With some research, including many solicited opinions, IMHO: the Prodigy, Jordan, & Brakesmart are the acme of the group.

I've had some reservations with Brakesmart's direct connect to the master cyl. but have concluded this is the one for my upgrade (currently: digital with simple time-delay). I'll post my experiences with the install & it's operation after our upcoming 2400+ mi. trip. - return late Aug.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 09:58 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Brakesmart is our choice:

I bought a Brakesmart today to be installed for our trip to Jackson Center later this week. I'm convinced you can't go wrong with either the Prodigy, Jordan, or Brakesmart, but I've overcome my fear/concern for tieing into the mstr. cyl. & went that way. I'll be towing to New Eng. after J/C & expect about 4 - 5K mi. total trip. I'll let you know my impression when we return.
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 10:31 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Brakesmart & vehicle warranty?

I just reviewed the PDF file for the GM install. That's a fair bit of surgery. Does anyone know (rumor is acceptable) if attaching 3rd party devices to the master cylinder could cause warranty problems? I know there are already some recall and warranty issues with brakes on 2500 HD's. Also, my Prodigy is pretty much set and forget as far as brake feel. I've never had to reset it in city traffic.
Ken
Old 08-02-2004, 11:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK
We bought the BrakeSmart about three weeks ago directly from the company. It's sophisticated and we are thrilled with it (towed 2500 miles over eight days) and we'd do it again in a minute.

Tom and Frank
What did you have to pay for the BrakeSmart and did you install yourself?
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 08:16 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

We paid the company's web price... either $329 or $349. They were very kind and shipped overnight (we paid). Did not install ourselves... a local 'hitch' shop did it for us. It cost less than $100 to install, that surprised me.

Tom (and Frank)
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 09:50 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Sovereign
Bel-Nor , Missouri
Brake controller

I have been reading this thread with interest. I have a Sentinel controller installed by my dealer when I purchased my unit. No one has mentioned this one at all. Does anyone know the pros & cons about this controller. Any feedback would be appreciated. We all learn as we go at least that has been my experience.
stl4519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 10:02 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325
Jordan owners... a question... many of the new Fords offer the adjustable pedal contraption. Would the Jordan work with adjustable pedals?

Roger
Jordon says that they work with adjustable pedals also. Here is someones site that shows exactly how to install a Jordon and it has links to the installation instructions as well as the Jordon site. http://www.klenger.net/dodge/jordan-installation/

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 08:25 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

I had a Sentinel and was happy with it. My son-in-law needed a controller and I needed an excuse to buy a BrakeSmart.

If you continue to tow, eventually you will buy a BrakeSmart.

Loren
Old 10-14-2005, 09:34 PM   #31
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Do a search here on brake controllers. You'll find the majority of folks in two basic camps....Jordan and Prodigy. Both are excellent controllers and come highly recommended by the masses, let alone on this forum. Of course, I am sure there are other great controllers, but these two seem to have attracted the biggest following that I know of......
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 09:50 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Perhaps someone can help here. I just bought a Prodige and noticed a warning in the instructions ."This control is not designed for use with electric -hydralic trailer brake systems". I have ordered an 06 classic with hydraulic disk. I plan to call Airstream monday but thought I might get some feedback here sooner. Am I to asume this combination won't work??? ------Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:13 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1993 34' Limited
Scituate , Massachusetts
We are using the Jordan Ultima 2020 and very happy with it. Set it forget it!

Can-Am RV in Ontario won't install anything else. (Not that they are the last word in RVing, etc., but they do a ton of work with Airstream towables.