Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2021, 07:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Arlington , MA
Wheel lock-up on 2021 Flying Cloud 25RBQ.

Hi all,

Several days ago I had a flat tire with a single spot completely worn through indicating some kind of wheel lock-up. Trailer is a 2021 Flying Cloud 25RBQ. Dexter kindly replaced the whole axle assembly under warranty.

Possibly related data point and my current puzzle: for a couple of days before the flat and after the axle replacement today I've noticed in the rear camera that the ProPride hitch often rides with the trailer to the right of center while driving in a straight line at highway speed. The flat tire was on the right. At these times it also takes a bit of left steering to maintain a straight line. On a couple of occasions, after stopping and starting, that phenomenon has disappeared and everything tracks straight.

Has anyone experienced something similar? I'm wondering if there could be an electrical fault (the only part I can think of that wouldn't have been affected by the axle replacement) that sometimes leaves a particular wheel's brakes partly activated indefinitely, and is reset when the brakes are genuinely activated.

Thanks in advance!
Virgil
virgilking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:23 PM   #2
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If the entire axle was replaced, then both brake drums and both sets of bearings would also have been replaced. In addition, the right side and left side brake assemblies would have also been replaced.

Is this what was done?

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:27 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Arlington , MA
uncle_bob, yes, all of that was replaced.
Old 09-16-2021, 07:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Check the centering of your ProPride hitch yoke, the arm that is attached to the brace that runs from one side of the trailer A-frame to the other. The constant drag of the stuck brake may have pulled it off center. If it is not centered the trailer will track off center. The cross brace is attached to the A-frame arms with U-bolts in slotted holes. It can move.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:40 PM   #5
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
But no inspection of the brake on the flat spotted wheel? Just complete axle replace. That’s interesting.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:50 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Arlington , MA
Al and Missy, I will look at that tomorrow, thanks.

GCinSC2, the brake was inspected but that didn't reveal a cause so the assembly was taken for further investigation.
Old 09-17-2021, 04:29 AM   #7
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Sure would be interesting to hear the rest of this story.

Safe travels.
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 09-17-2021, 05:08 AM   #8
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
virgilking,

Last weekend at a rally I spoke with the owner of a new trailer that had a single wheel flat spot tire failure. New tire purchased, brake not inspected other than does it rotate.

Sorry, I do not know model or greater details other than I did speak personally to owner.

I'm trying to get this thread to him for his info.

Gary
Old 09-17-2021, 05:28 AM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgilking View Post
Hi all,

Several days ago I had a flat tire with a single spot completely worn through indicating some kind of wheel lock-up. Trailer is a 2021 Flying Cloud 25RBQ. Dexter kindly replaced the whole axle assembly under warranty.

Possibly related data point and my current puzzle: for a couple of days before the flat and after the axle replacement today I've noticed in the rear camera that the ProPride hitch often rides with the trailer to the right of center while driving in a straight line at highway speed. The flat tire was on the right. At these times it also takes a bit of left steering to maintain a straight line. On a couple of occasions, after stopping and starting, that phenomenon has disappeared and everything tracks straight.

Has anyone experienced something similar? I'm wondering if there could be an electrical fault (the only part I can think of that wouldn't have been affected by the axle replacement) that sometimes leaves a particular wheel's brakes partly activated indefinitely, and is reset when the brakes are genuinely activated.

Thanks in advance!
Virgil
My input....

Someone didn't ck & adjust the brakes after installing the axle or on the PDI, I'd do it and I watched the tech do it at JC when they replaced ours.
POI even never-adjust need regular inspection and can be manually adjusted when needed.
The drag would account for the PP offset.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-17-2021, 06:36 AM   #10
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
You should be able to check for errant voltage reaching one of the wheels with a volt meter. With the TV connected via the 7-way there should not be power to the brakes unless you are pressing the pedal while moving. I'd test with lights off, then on, and then with the left & right turn signals just to cover all bases. This would eliminate a potential cause.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 06:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
You should be able to check for errant voltage reaching one of the wheels with a volt meter. With the TV connected via the 7-way there should not be power to the brakes unless you are pressing the pedal while moving. I'd test with lights off, then on, and then with the left & right turn signals just to cover all bases. This would eliminate a potential cause.

Brakes are all connected in parallel. It is much more likely that one brake would not have voltage when the others do than one would have voltage when the others do not. I don't see how that could happen unless someone thought the brake wire was a taillight and connected it to the lights wiring.

IMO a mechanical problem is much more likely.
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 08:28 AM   #12
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post
Brakes are all connected in parallel. It is much more likely that one brake would not have voltage when the others do than one would have voltage when the others do not. I don't see how that could happen unless someone thought the brake wire was a taillight and connected it to the lights wiring.

Hi

Missing voltage / no wire is pretty easy to spot. Try to lock up the wheels on gravel. The one that's still turning does not have it's wire hooked up.

You can spot a lot of stuff this way. The wheel that locks up long before the rest likely has an issue. The one that doesn't lock at all could have other problems than a wire hanging loose.

If the entire axle was replaced and the trailer tracks weird ... is the axle on right? Simple tape measure check to the other axle would give you a pretty good idea.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:30 AM   #13
Site Team

1994 25' Excella
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post

Guess I was going with a mis-wired wheel. Yes, it would take an extreme error to accomplish this but I've seen stranger things reported in the RV world. Just one wire crimped to the wrong feed can ruin your whole day. I thought there was a question earlier about a wheel getting voltage it shouldn't get.

But you're correct that a lack of voltage is a more likely problem.
1999 Suburban LS 2500 w/7.4L V8
1974 GMC 4108a - Custom Coach Land Cruiser (Sold)
richard5933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:41 AM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Alignment?....YES

Kevin had the alignment sheet attached to our invoice at JC.

But regardless it should have been noticed at the factory or during the Dealer PDI.

Has anyone made sure that the brakes are all adjusted the same?

Something you could do yourself, lift the trailer and spin the wheel, you want the same drag on all wheels.

Without equal 'drag' you have no idea how far away from the drum the linings are.
You CAN manually adjust 'never adjust' brakes.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-18-2021, 07:38 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Arlington , MA
Updates:

1. Al and Missy called it: the frame bracket was offset about 1" to the left of the trailer. I had JC center it yesterday while I was there to replace the flat tire (the flat happened to occur in Ohio). The Airstream tech's opinion was that that misalignment was not related to the flat.

2. After that fix the trailer doesn't consistently track to the right, but it still tends to get stuck to one side or the other indefinitely depending on the direction of the last sharp turn. Another data point is that the hitch has started squeaking a bit during turns. The current theory is that the remaining issue is that I'm behind on the 1,000 mile lubing of the weight distribution bars which I'm going to do tomorrow.
Old 09-18-2021, 09:32 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
West Lake Hills , Texas
Yep. Lube it. Lube the ball, too.
Fungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 05:35 AM   #17
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Updates:

The Airstream tech's opinion was that that misalignment was not related to the flat.
From post 1, "I had a flat tire with a single spot completely worn through indicating some kind of wheel lock-up."

That's the question I'm hoping you'll get an reply on.
Old 09-19-2021, 06:20 AM   #18
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
From post 1, "I had a flat tire with a single spot completely worn through indicating some kind of wheel lock-up."

That's the question I'm hoping you'll get an reply on.
Reply...From whom?
Let me try...the brake on that wheel locked up.
Why...thats just a guess.
I don't believe from the discussion that anybody pulled the drum and did a brake inspection, or if done didn't relate what they found.
Did they find one drum locked and just replaced that axle?
Hard to understand, unless it was damaged from the lock-up.
Someones not talk'n.

I had a good experience with Dexter, but that was 15yrs ago. Sounds like things may have regressed a bit.😵*💫

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-19-2021, 07:11 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Arlington , MA
Everything seems well today after greasing the bars. So I had 3 issues:

1. Still mysterious wheel lock-up
2. Misaligned hitch main bracket
3. Overdue weight distribution bar grease

Robert Cross, I thought Dexter service was excellent: they drove 4 hours each way to replace the axle at no charge despite not finding a clear fault in the brakes or other parts of the axle assembly. They and an independent mechanic inspected the brakes and didn't see an evident cause. Dexter said they would test the parts to try to find the root cause and I'll update this thread if I hear the outcome.
Old 09-20-2021, 05:06 AM   #20
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Quote:
Dexter said they would test the parts to try to find the root cause and I'll update this thread if I hear the outcome.
That's what I'm looking for. Just curious.