Old 10-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
Canadian Tire is indeed a great institution! I often wonder why there is not a US equivalent? If there is, I have yet to find it!

Not sure if they have these all weather connectors though - I haven't seen them there, but then, I have never asked! .......... I will!

Brian

PS - Wingeezer not Winegeezer (relates to my age + the motorcycle!)

I do make my own wine though, so I suppose it could be equally appropriate!

But these days, I make a lot more home-brewed beer than I do wine!
WINGeezer, got it!
Old 06-14-2017, 07:35 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Fort Saunders , Wyoming
This Thread is a GREAT Season Check Up Prevention and Repair!

The wiring going into the brake drums on each wheel are exposed to a branch of a small bush, catching and pulling, or breaking the wire connections just above your brake drums.

I found one brake wire connection on our 2016 that appeared to have been crimped, during the assembly of the axles to the Airstream body, that just slid out due to a bad crimp with the plastic shrink connection intact.

There would have been no braking on that wheel since new.

It was then I noticed that the wiring is exposed as a wide loop, that could easily catch a small bush branch, causing other wires to be detached and not noticed. I soldered these first noticed wires together, wrapped each solder connection and took black electrical tape, taping the two wires from where they enter the brake drum and past the crimp, where Dexter wiring ends and the Airstream wiring connects. Then proceeded to tape the other three brake wiring connections to avoid any possible detaching while traveling Off the Grid.

This wrapping made it possible to raise the wiring and reduced the possibility of catching the wiring on some stray bush branch.

When you get under your trailer's axles, look at the wiring. If you see the plastic loop to secure the wiring to the drum... you already made contact with something. This takes no time at all to secure all four sets of brake wires.

Changes nothing towards performance, but does reduce one other negative possibility, while maintaining the integrity of our trailers ourselves.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:05 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Okemos , Michigan
I had the exact same experience as described in the first post here. After a 400 mile trip home without trailer brakes, I wanted to put the issue in front of folks once again. Thank goodness for a heavy duty truck - it actually stopped the trailer pretty well.

And one other thing, as I called around, I was been shocked at how poorly dealers and other Rv shops manage brake repairs. It was only Jackson Center that was repairing brakes as recommended by Dexter. I ended up doing it all myself so that I could be sure it was done right. It was not difficult.
Wanna EB is offline   Reply With Quote