RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
JHH
2 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
Tundra brake controller and Caravelle

Sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn't find it.

Has anyone had issues with the Toyota Tundra brake controller and an AS.
Our Tundra is a new 2021 and our Caravelle 16 is a 2020.

I've read one suggestion to set the controller on EOH rather than Electric.
Any other experience that would help? I dont feel the brakes quite as I should, and I'd like to isolate the issue.

Thanks,

JH
JHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 12:28 PM   #2
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina

EOH is Electric Over Hydraulic. That setting is for disc brake use not magnetic drum brake.

Did it used to work ok and this is a new issue on same AS and TV?

Does your trailer have self adjusting brakes or traditional periodic adjustment required brakes?

If your adjusted all the way up and 7 way is plugged in and making contact to brake terminal then time to inspect brake adjustment.

In my observations the Bargman plug on an AS is not always the best choice for reliable contact.

I wrote my best guess on my shop wall, waiting to see if I guessed correctly later.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 01:48 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Tucson , Arizona
What do you have the gain set at?
McStreamy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 02:36 PM   #4
JHH
2 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
I set the gain at 7 (out of 10). Had the brakes adjusted 3 months ago, and have the dexter never adjust. Brakes were barely acceptable with my previous vehicle and aftermarket controller, but have never responded noticeably to the manual slider on the previous controller or now with the new Toyota integrated controller. The dealer tells me that I have 12 volts at the connector after checking it.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:45 PM   #5
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O

JHH

Are you able to raise a wheel (all stationary) and perform simple observations on brake system and itís adjustment?

Do you have anyone with a completely different tow vehicle that you could test your trailer with?

Gary
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 11-24-2020, 03:40 PM   #6
JHH
2 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
I can take it over to the Airstream dealer and have their brake guy jack up one side. What is the test?
Old 11-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #7
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Are you capable of raising it and trying?

Learning about these brakes if youíre able is a good self reliant skill.

Even the self adjusting version can be in a state of out of adjustment and need to be brought back into operating range for it to do its own self adjustments.

Drum brakes usually have a very slight but noticeable shoe to drum drag or rub. It can be felt and heard. It means the shoes are in a ready to go type of position as opposed to a large shoe to drum gap (no drag heard or felt) and not really ready to go and perform as brakes.

Self adjusting brake can be manually adjusted to bring them back into operation. Then you need a working controller and a good 7 way connection for the brakes to get the signal and necessary power to BRAKE.

Dexter has very good info on their website.
S/OS #001
Old 11-24-2020, 05:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
I purchased a new Tundra in 2017. One of the "advantages" to the newer model is that it had a built in controller. I have towed with my Prodigy II for years without any trouble. I took it out of my '08 Tundra just in case. I was never happy with my 2017. I don't know if they are still using the same one now in 2021 or not. I called the dealer to find out what kind of controller it was. Was it a proportional or a timed controller? They couldn't answer so I called Toyota and the lady told me it was a "solid state" controller which I found out later meant it was a timed controller.

I set mine as per the literature and advice I got from the dealer. I like to ease to a stop especially when in town. My trailer was locking up on me. I then practiced a panic stop and felt the trailer pushing me. This is what happens with a timed controller. Engage the brakes slowly and the controller will increase the power regardless of any inertia or lack there of. I ended up taking the whole thing out, found a mounting bracket and installed my Prodigy in the dash. Works great! Good luck. I never did get an answer. I ended up writing Toyota telling them that the big 3 automakers all have proportional controllers in their trucks. Toyota is missing out. They never responded.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:17 PM   #9
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Hence the suggestion to try a different TV to rule in or out the TVís integrated brake controller.
S/OS #001
Old 11-24-2020, 06:44 PM   #10
JHH
2 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
I don't know anyone with a brake controller. But I do have a decent hydraulic jack. What's the test?
Old 11-24-2020, 06:46 PM   #11
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Check for pm from me.

This is an R&R I did on self adjusting brakes. It includes adjusting them.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f43...ighlight=BRAKE

Dexter info on adjusting their brakes.

https://www.dexteraxle.com/docs/defa...s.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Gary
S/OS #001
Old 11-24-2020, 07:15 PM   #12
JHH
2 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
Gary, last time I was in for service I had a brake check.

The service tech jacked up each side independently, pulled the emergency pin, and spun the wheel. One stopped at about a quarter turn. He said that was about right. He adjusted the other brake until it did the same.

He also replaced my after market controller. This was when I had a Jeep Grand Cherokee. The trailer did seem to stop okay, but the manual slider still did little. Now that I have a new Toyota controller, its slider does not create any noticeable brake engagement regardless of gain.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:13 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Iola , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHH View Post
Sorry if this has been covered, but I couldn't find it.

Has anyone had issues with the Toyota Tundra brake controller and an AS.
Our Tundra is a new 2021 and our Caravelle 16 is a 2020.

I've read one suggestion to set the controller on EOH rather than Electric.
Any other experience that would help? I dont feel the brakes quite as I should, and I'd like to isolate the issue.

Thanks,

JH
We have a 2018 Tundra w brake controller and a 2018 Bambi Sport. We were having issues on our first trip with the controller not talking to the trailer. We took it to a Toyota dealer and they said the led lights in the trailer were interfering with the TV controller.. They installed a software fix in the truck and we have had no problems since.
IronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:26 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
London , ON
Tundra factory brake controller

I'm almost certain that it is the brake controller. My son has a new Tundra and had a huge problem getting it resolved by Toyota. He couldn't get it to work with his truck but with my F-150 on the same trailer it was fine. His neighbor also had a new Tundra had the same problem. He went to multiple dealers who all said it was OK. There is 12 volts but none of them had any towing experience. After about a year of fooling around with dealers he finally persuaded a dealer to replace the controller.. Problem solved.
jpieterman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:17 AM   #15
JHH
2 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMaiden View Post
We have a 2018 Tundra w brake controller and a 2018 Bambi Sport. We were having issues on our first trip with the controller not talking to the trailer. We took it to a Toyota dealer and they said the led lights in the trailer were interfering with the TV controller.. They installed a software fix in the truck and we have had no problems since.
Would you be willing to share the dealer's service rep who handled and solved this issue?

Thanks
Old 11-27-2020, 06:51 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Iola , Texas
The Dealer website in Abilene is https://www.toyotaabilene.com/?utm_s...website_button
IronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 10:21 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Col. Station , Ohio
I can confirm what you have read here is true. Toyota has a software upgrade that will improve brake controller performance. However not all dealers have someone to install the upgrade. In my case the dealer said they knew nothing about it.

I installed a Prodigy in my 2016 Tundra. It is a plug and play setup that preforms well.
Flynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:12 AM   #18
JHH
2 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
Thanks for the post. I've read that when installing an aftermarket controller on a Toyota which has its own stock controller already installed that the Toyota computer has to be "told." Were there any other steps besides plug and play?

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynavy View Post
I can confirm what you have read here is true. Toyota has a software upgrade that will improve brake controller performance. However not all dealers have someone to install the upgrade. In my case the dealer said they knew nothing about it.

I installed a Prodigy in my 2016 Tundra. It is a plug and play setup that preforms well.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:26 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Col. Station , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHH View Post
Thanks for the post. I've read that when installing an aftermarket controller on a Toyota which has its own stock controller already installed that the Toyota computer has to be "told." Were there any other steps besides plug and play?

Thanks
I did not go back to the dealer for any computer upgrade after I installed the new brake controller. No other steps other than plug and play.
I did save the old controller in case I sell or trade the Tundra. I plan on taking the Tecshonka with me to install in a new truck. I had one in my old truck which gave me 12 years of trouble free service however it was hard wired in place.
Flynavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 12:48 PM   #20

Hollywood Beach , California
Interesting thread. I have a 2015 Tundra which did NOT come with a brake controller, but was pre-wired for one. I purchase a new OEM controller, new face plate and installed it. I rented a 2014 International 27' and everything worked fine. I had the gain set at 7.0. The slide control worked and I could feel the trailer braking from all speeds to a stop. The brake controller part number is 89547-0C012 (version 12). Would be odd if a new Tundra wasn't using the latest part number, but perhaps worth pulling it out and checking. Here's a TSB for reference -> T-SB-0231-17

-Brad
gbradleyb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel