Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2020, 12:23 PM   #21
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Brad,

The TSB https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...32385-9999.pdf applies to 2016-2017 Tundra's and JHH's is a 2021. Hopefully the old update has long been addressed but updates to software are something that modern vehicles, phones and such make us deal with.

It's a good idea for things to check off of the list.

Hopefully JHH will get some feedback to this thread.

Being brake aware and such is a real good thing.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:20 AM   #22
JHH
2 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
Update: Most important is that I went to my Airstream dealer. Toyota Tundra brake controller is fine. 12 volts and 10.5 amps output at the connector.
The brakes seem to check out too when connected to the mechanic's tester/battery source according to the AS mechanic. But when connected to the Toyota, the AS brakes are very weak even though adjusted fairly tight. The mechanic recommends a brake inspection. He agrees that the brakes should be much stronger when connected to the Tundra.
So, it is still a mystery. I called Toyota corpoate and they have no TSB (service bulletin) on the 2021 Tundra controllers.
So, as Gary suggested, maybe the connectors dont marry well. Or maybe the brakes have a problem not obvious to the mechanic.
I'm going to call Airstream corporate and see if they have any experience with this. I also have a new blade type connector on order. I'm suspicious of the AS connector at this point. After ruling that out, we'd have to pull the hubs and check everything. The trailer has only a few thousand miles, 9 months old.
I'll post any solutions. Thanks to all for the input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Brad,

The TSB https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...32385-9999.pdf applies to 2016-2017 Tundra's and JHH's is a 2021. Hopefully the old update has long been addressed but updates to software are something that modern vehicles, phones and such make us deal with.

It's a good idea for things to check off of the list.

Hopefully JHH will get some feedback to this thread.

Being brake aware and such is a real good thing.

Gary
JHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 08:46 AM   #23
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
John,

Progress, good stuff. Toyota OK for 1st test but any details on the test of the AS brake circuit? How tested, data etc?

PS check your e-mail.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:10 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHH View Post
Thanks for the post. I've read that when installing an aftermarket controller on a Toyota which has its own stock controller already installed that the Toyota computer has to be "told." Were there any other steps besides plug and play?

Thanks

John, I am happy to hear that you are all over this. There are three components to this system, the controller itself, the connection and the trailer brake system. It is a great idea to take your trailer into Airstream to be checked out. The least expensive part is the connection and you are going to look at that. I will stick my neck out and guess the issue is in the controller. When you took it back they said it was "working" as they found 12v at that spot. Well, it has the proper voltage, but is it working properly?

I think what they told you above is a bunch of hooey. I replaced my original controller with my used Prodigy. I unplugged the Toyota one and took it out of the dash. I installed the bracket in the dash and installed the controller and then plugged it into the same spot as the original. The computer they refer to is in the controller. When you hit the brakes the signal goes through the plug in the same way as before. What happens to this signal happens inside the controller, not in some magical Tundra computer under the hood. Yes, mine was a simple "plug and play" scenario.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 05:08 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Rome , Georgia
JHH

Any solution to the issue?
mediaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 06:25 AM   #26
JHH
2 Rivet Member

Mount Dora , Florida
Not yet. I'm having my dealer check the drums and hubs this week to see if there's a mechanical problem. Aftermarket brake controllers can also have issues. I've had a couple that did on different vehicles. So I'm trying to investigate the entire braking chain.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediaman View Post
JHH

Any solution to the issue?
JHH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 09:11 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2019 28' Flying Cloud
Dripping Springs , Texas
I have a 2021 Tundra and was able to try out the integrated brake controller:
- Was not able to lock up the brakes on my 2019 FC. Then again, a Tekonsha P3 wasn't able to do so either, it felt the same as the Tundra controller
- Setting some gain and using the brake pedal seemed to send a more powerful signal to the trailer compared to the manual slider.
- Started with 7.0 and that was very strong, eventually settled on 5.0

I guess I'm happy with the Tundra controller regardless of the internal operating mode (ie. 'timed' or something else)
Kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel