Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2003, 03:55 AM   #41
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Is it a good idea to "lock" the chains to the receiver for xtra safety
with a padlock or at least with a closed hook (mountain climbing style)

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 06:07 AM   #42
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Most padlocks will not meet the weight requirements from a saftey standpoint. I have used a shackle an a connector link like these. They are rated by weight and will not come off unless you take them off.
Attached Images

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 06:08 AM   #43
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
This works too:
Attached Images

WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 10-22-2003, 03:12 PM   #44
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Yes Brett, that's what I had in mind,
I will from now on always secure the chains with one of those.
I wonder how many just hook the chains without any device as I did before this thread opened my eyes.

Hart
qqq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 12:25 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

I'm 66 years old and bought my first house trailer when I was 18. It was a 18 ft Colonial Manor 1934 model. Ive had acouple of Nashuwas ect. and Ive found that If you have good saftey chains, strong as your hitch , and crossed and as short as you can make them and still turn, then you can safley pull a trailer at speed without even knowing it has come un hitched. If they are attaced right the trailer will just sit on the chains and the brakes will work and it will steer no problem. I have lost one trailer, a car hauler. It passed me up, going downhill, hit a brand new car on the left front wheel. bounced of and hit the curb and bounced back and hit the left rear wheel and then proceded down the street from one side to the other bouncing off first the left curb then the right curb heading for a vetrans day parade. I had to drive down and stop my pickup in front of it to stop it. I lucked out it only cost my inshurance 3800 dollars.. This all happened because of my carelessness in hooking up the safty chains. Mac
McMullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 09:10 PM   #46
2 Rivet Member

Very helpful posts here. Thanks all. I am new to Airstream towing. Has anyone had the experience of having an Airstream come loose from the tow vehicle? That's who I want to hear from. McMullen lost a car hauler but it wasn't hooked up right anyway. I have had a 2500 lb boat trailer come loose at speed, no breakaway switch at all, and I just coasted to a stop with the tongue on the chains. No harm except to my pride. Also had a utility trailer come loose once because I didn't grease the ball and it loosened the nut and it eventually came off. Same result, I just coasted to a stop and put it back together. Both were small trailers. I plan to take every precaution with this Airstream and I would sure like to hear from a voice of "experience". I know a 8500 lb trailer will push me around like a toy if it gets loose.

Question # 2. Is it legal to install a small electrical cable connector to disconnect the break away switch wiring when parked. That would prevent accidental actuation. Just have to remember to reconnect when I hit the road.
quality parts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 06:08 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

San Antonio, TX
What powers the brakes after breakaway?

Quote:
Originally posted by driftwood
An excellent discussion. Thanks.

Do I have to travel with my trailer battery switch in the on position in order for the emergency brake to activate?
I have the same question. What powers the brakes on a runaway trailer? Up until the umbilical is disconnected, I assume the car voltage goes to the trailer brakes, but after, does the system rely on the trailer battery? This is of importance to me because my battery may not be holding a charge...

Thanks.
jlawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2003, 06:13 PM   #48
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
The breakaway cable when pulled feeds the power from the coach battery to the brakes If the coach battery is bad the brakes will not work once the umbilical disconnects.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49