Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2003, 12:36 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
hmmm

are you saying than that i should get out some wire and install a breakaway, obviously it was not standard ewuipment on this unit. guess i had not put much thought into needing to upgrade the safety of this rig, now that i think about it all of my previous power boats all had breakaway (well the trailerable ones any how) thanks for the slap in the face. i am going to do some investigation.

any one have any advice on a good manufacturer
has any one installed one lately have any ideas on cost?
FireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 12:43 PM   #22
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Check out This thread

Hope I did not slap too hard, just wanted to save you from the lawyers that seem to appear whenever there is a an accident.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 01:14 PM   #23
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Re: hmmm

Quote:
Originally posted by FireFighter
are you saying than that i should get out some wire and install a breakaway, obviously it was not standard ewuipment on this unit.
Some of you who are more knowledgeable will know for sure, but I'm pretty sure yours came from the factory with a breakaway switch. I know my '70 Safari had one; a near-beer can sized cylinder with a brass center post pull. I'd guess some P.O. didn't know what it was on yours and removed it.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 01:25 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
new kid

not at all just hadn't thought about it that way, that i why i read this forum constantly, to gain knowledge.

thanks,
i am going to look for evidence of such a previous device have to put my coat on first. getting kind of cold here in michigan.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:30 PM   #25
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Firefighter,
The switch for the electric brakes is pretty inexpensive IIRC somewhere in the $20 range.

Aaron
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2003, 10:22 PM   #26
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
BW switch

FF,

Most likely your trailer had one. My '66 had one that looked really old. (I replaced it in May) It could have been added after delivery however I think not.

And it is not an expensive thing to have. The benefits if needed will far far excede the cost.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 10-17-2003, 10:29 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Testing Breakaway Switch?

Is there a way to test the breakaway switch to make sure it's functioning properly?
DMAYRES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 12:40 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Re: Testing Breakaway Switch?

Quote:
Originally posted by DMAYRES
Is there a way to test the breakaway switch to make sure it's functioning properly?
First, loosen ball until only a few threads are holding. Next, hook up trailer and search for a really bumpy and windy road. Sorry DMAYRES, I just couldn't resist. I would also be interested in knowing of a way to test the breakaway switch. A practical way, that is! Anyone?

bbb
biggerbadbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 12:49 AM   #29
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
testing testing

brad etal,

you can test your breakaway by unplugging your umbilical cord, then pulling the pin on the breakaway.

then drive forward, brakes should apply within a couple of feet.

reinstall the pin within 5 min. as andy pointed out to prevent damage to your magnets!

the reason for unplugging the cord is to prevent damage to your brake controller.

thats it!

john
Old 10-20-2003, 02:31 PM   #30
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Breakaway

Need ideas about the optimum location for breakaway switch, chains, (propane tanks) and all that assorted stuff on the tongue. Hoping to buy a Reese dual cam when I get back on the road.
Meanwhile, everything is off the tongue and I would like your ideas (or pictures) of the best set-up for safety (1st), ease of operation (2nd) and looks (3rd). Here's a picture with my idea for the chain attachment point.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frame016.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	3528  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 04:54 PM   #31
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
here is what i have...

mark

this is the stock set up on my '92. it is just a "c" shaped piece welded on the bottom of the hitch.

your setup you pictured might work fine, i would be concerned with the chains interfering with your wd bars.

here is a pic.

john
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bottom of hitch.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	3530  
Old 10-20-2003, 04:58 PM   #32
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
also...

you may want to consider adding a light to the jack mast. makes departures under the cover of darkness a snap!

the break away is mounted on the nearest jack bolt with a simple bracket.

john
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	side view of hitch.jpg
Views:	592
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	3531  
Old 10-20-2003, 05:05 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
markdoane

I'd suggest you look at the Equal-i-zer rather than the dual cam for a new hitch. Works just as well for handling but is much simpler mechanically and does not require additional brackets on the A frame. Either hitch will need due consideration for the main propane feed line, usually.

Propane tanks need to be mounted to clear any windows yet far enough back to avoid binding in very tight turns. If you plan on a dual cam you will also need to accomodate any conflicts between the cam brackets and the propane bracket. There are some custom brackets for tanks but a couple of angle irons welded to the frame work, too.

The breakaway switch needs to be mounted just to the side of the jack post. I attached it to the propane bracket but there are also some special brackets that can be used.

On the side of the jack post opposite the breakaway switch you might consider a guide for the electrical power/signals cable.

If starting from scratch, you might also consider installing a flag pole holder.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 09:50 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bay city , Michigan
does this make sense

when talking about what should be longer the chains or the emergensy cable, i have read all of the forum and pondered on it quite a while this is my conclusion.

1. i don't want to activate the emergency switch unless this trailer is not hooked to my tow vehicle

this is how i plan on making this happen

if the emergency cable is longer than the chains and the umbilical wiring is longer than the chains if the trailer comes off ball then i still have control over the trailer because the umbilical is still attached therefore when i brake in the tow vehicle the trailer brakes are applied, however if the chains fail and the trailer breaks free the emergency is pulled.

what does everyone think, in my own mind i believe that i have solved the riddle.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:55 PM   #35
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Firefighter,

You have described exactly what I went for when I towed a trailer.

I think if you have the breakaway activate while the trailer is attached by safety chains the unit will do exactly that, breakaway. Of course this is at highway speed. If the trailer is no longer conected to the tow vehicle I want it to stop as fast as possible.

I tow my Saturn with a breakaway for the same reason.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 08:31 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Opinion--re Breakaway

Let’s consider the dynamics of the most typical breakaway situations. The actual cause of the tow vehicle/trailer separation will most likely be uncoupling, ball pin failure, or a support weld failure caused by repeated stress/vibration. The breakaway separation will probably happen during one of two scenarios.

1. At relatively slow speed while traversing really rough terrain, at which the safety chains would probably have a chance to stay intact. I say probably, because the trailer (say 5000 lbs) is decelerating at a significant rate (remember, at this point we are assuming a bumpy/rough/soft terrain), the tongue may or may not make contact with the ground and dig in, and neither the driver nor the breakaway emergency brakes will have a chance to react when the first “jerk” on the safety chains is felt. Due to this combined deceleration (bumps, soft terrain, length of safety chain, tow vehicle acceleration(?)) the “jerk” on the safety chain may or may not be two or three times the magnitude of the mass of the trailer. If the trailer stays attached to the tow vehicle, breakaway brakes should be activated with the tow chain still attached to both the trailer and tow vehicle. Score one for the driver with a decent sized tow vehicle matched to his trailer, and appropriate size safety chain, regardless of how heavy the chain is or how difficult it is to hook up.
2. At elevated speeds (45-60 mph) due to road roughness, constant vibration, and fatigue failure. At highway speeds, the “jerk” on the safety chains will be amplified many times (Mass times acceleration, velocity squared-distance of acceleration, or something like that), and it could well be a blessing that the safety chains would fail. (Score one for the people who use porch swing chains for safety chains.) If the chains fail at the first “jerk”, the tow vehicle is separated from the trailer, and, assuming the tow vehicle has enough mass/stability, the driver has a good chance of stopping the tow vehicle without rolling over or cutting doughnuts on the interstate. The trailer, however, at speed, is a different matter. If the trailer totally separates from the tow vehicle at speed, there is nothing short of a miracle to keep it from rolling the first time it gets more or less perpendicular to the line of travel, in which case breakaway brakes would do no good whatsoever. And if it doesn't separate, it's taking the tow vehicle out with it. Pity the bloke who is pulling 7,000 lb trailer with a tow vehicle rated only at 5,000 lbs in this scenario.

My strategy -- I would opt for the brakes to be applied while the safety chains are still intact. My opinion only, I know there are other theories and thought processes that would shoot holes in my thinking.

The above was written in less time than it takes to drink an adult beverage, and it's free, so that is about what it is worth. Each situation depends on the integrity and strength of the safety chains, the mounting and weld characteristics of the chain mounts, your tow vehicle, your trailer, and how you position your tongue in your mouth while you hook up the chains. Safety is the responsibility of the driver. The only way we can free ourselves of lawyers and politicians is to use a modicum of common sense in our daily lives, blah, blah, blah, yadda, yadda, yadda. DON’T PULL A BIG TRAILER WITH A LITTLE VEHICLE. The life you save may be my own.

Thanks RoadKing Moe, John HD, Pahaska, Toaster, Pick, and all the rest. ALL good advice. Bottom line, don’t let yourself get into an emergency situation, inspect, double check, and don’t do anything stupid.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 09:07 AM   #37
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Thank you, John and Bryan for your ideas. On my chain attachment. I will incorporate all.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2003, 11:10 AM   #38
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
In the event of the above scenario no matter the speed.

It's gonna be a bad day!

So no matter how ya hook things up, and no matter how long or short the chains, power cable and the breakaway switch cable, it's gonna be a mess. So if in doubt about hitch equipment, replace it or park it. And do your best to tow safe.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 10-21-2003, 06:07 PM   #39
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
An excellent discussion. Thanks.

Do I have to travel with my trailer battery switch in the on position in order for the emergency brake to activate?
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2003, 12:28 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

1998 28' Excella
Pensacola , Florida
I'll add my 2 cents, FWIW...

I, too, attended the Reese Siminar @ the Region 6 Rally in Chattanooga. I believe the point the Reese Rep was making was that he had too much slack in his breakaway switch, which allowed for a small branch or limb to get caught up in a loop of his cable when turning in off the highway going into the campground; thus, pulling out the pin in the breakaway switch, causing a sudden and unexpected stop. Fortunately, for him, he was going very slowly, making a turn into the driveway, and didn't hurt anything, except to give him a few seconds of heart pounding and head scratching concern 'cause the rear end of his 34 footer was sticking out into the street. Based on this unusual experience, he suggested that we shorten our breakaway cable from the originally supplied length to prevent something on the road tangling in the excess loop. resulting in an unintentional stop. I think this was good advice, and I am removing some of the excess length from mine.

Jim
jalewis is offline   Reply With Quote