Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2012, 05:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 31' Classic
Crestview , Florida
Trailer Brake Troubles

Anyone experience the trailer brakes sticking when braking at low speed?
Just as I'm taking the pressure off the brake pedal it feels like the trailer brake is a bit too late, catching after the fact.
Libo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Sometimes, trailer brakes can be grabby when cold. Usually, after a couple of normal stops, brake activation will be normal. This effect is often more pronounced in high humidity.

Just curious, what brake controller are you using; and does your Airstream have drum or disc brakes?
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 09:15 PM   #3
RMB
3 Rivet Member

2010 23' International
Saturna , British Columbia
Same thing here. After leaving my AS on a lot for 2 ,when we used it the brakes didnt seem to work at all! I cranked my Progeny controller way up- not much of an improvement. After a few miles and half a dozen applications of the brakes, all returned to normal and I backed the brake controller off to when it normally resides.

All is well. We are on a trip now and before hitting the highway I just pumped the pickup brakes and stopped a few times ... that worked.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
RMB, you might want to check the pins in your umbilical connector. Sometimes, the connector pins get dirty, corroded or bent, which can affect your electric brakes. This could be an open or intermittent connection, which usually appears as "NC" displayed on a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller; and it may go away after a few turns or dips in the road.

It's also possible that you may have high resistance across dirty pins that would result in reduced voltage to the electric brakes (never actually seen this, but it's a possibility).

In any case, try spraying aerosol contact cleaner in the mating umbilical connectors before hooking up. Contact cleaner is available in the computer accessories section in most electronics parts stores; e.g., Radio Shack, Fry's Electronics, Best Buy, etc.

If you don't have any contact cleaner, try using denatured or isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol and a Q-Tip to swab out any dust, grease, gunk, etc. Do NOT use strong solvents like acetone, paint thinner, MEK (methyl ethyl ketone), etc., as these may dissolve or soften the rubber/plastic connector body and/or umbilical cable insulation.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1993 34' Excella
, Maryland
I had that problem with my brakes, turned out to be the sensor on the brake pedal. I would start up from a light and the trailer brakes would still be on. If I pulled up on the brake pedal with my foot they would go off. Once the brake pedal sensor was replaced the problem went away.

-Alden
Alden Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Is the controller showing current to the brakes after you remove your foot? If so I would chek the position of the brake switch for clearance when the peddle is in the neutral position. If this were the case your brake lights would remain on also for the same period.

If current is not being supplied to the trailer after you remove your foot I would check the brake assembly itself. There are backer plates that only have one return spring on the shoes and with this type of plate sticking is common. The spring does not return the trailing shoe and it remains applied until road noise or backing up releases it.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I have noticed with some of the controllers there is a slight delay in both applying and releasing the brakes.. It seems to be more noticeable at low speeds if the controller was set up at hiway speeds.
I noticed this particularly with aTekonsha that was triggered by the brake switch. ( don't remember the model) I do not notice it with the Jordan which is mechanically tied to the brake pedal.
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote