Old 05-22-2020, 04:50 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Curtis Wright
San Marcos , Texas
Send a message via AIM to kevinkatz
Tekonsha Prodigy vs Curt Echo Wireless brake controller

I have been towing with a BMW X5 diesel for a good while. I use a Prodigy brake controller. I now have another BMW X5 diesel and am building another trailer and am considering options. The Prodigy works well but is a cumbersome box on the trailer. The new CURT ECHO looks interesting. Cheaper and easier to install. I realize that it wonít give me any control from in the tow vehicle. Has anyone used the Curt and have an opinion?

kevinkatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I installed a Curt today. You will have control using the Curt, if you sync it to your smart phone using bluetooth.

Old 05-22-2020, 08:36 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 22' Sport
NCR , Ontario
we have used a Prodigy brake controller for 4 years

works well, never an issue

go with a wired model. wireless just adds delay and a possible issue
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 08:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
we have used a Prodigy brake controller for 4 years

works well, never an issue

go with a wired model. wireless just adds delay and a possible issue
He already has a Prodigy RF.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:17 AM   #5
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
wireless just adds delay and a possible issue
Not true - NO delay nor issues.

Prodigy RF user for 8 years.

Stick with the Tekonsha RF, unless it needs replacement.

I would think that the Curt also requires a "box" on the trailer too.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St Petersburg , Florida
Prodigy Vs Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkatz View Post
I have been towing with a BMW X5 diesel for a good while. I use a Prodigy brake controller. I now have another BMW X5 diesel and am building another trailer and am considering options. The Prodigy works well but is a cumbersome box on the trailer. The new CURT ECHO looks interesting. Cheaper and easier to install. I realize that it wonít give me any control from in the tow vehicle. Has anyone used the Curt and have an opinion?
I have the prodigy in my AS Interstate and tow a 2x axle box trailer. Works great. I bought the Echo for use on my Toyota Highlander rowing the same trailer. Absolutely no difference in performance key is to get the Echo set up right using your smartphone Bluetooth interface. Once itís set, you no longer need to have the phone connected or even with you. The phone interface does provide real-time interface with the Echo controller, if needed. Both are good choices.

Be well

PirateChris
PirateChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
St Petersburg , Florida
Prodigy Vs Echo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkatz View Post
Further to my previous post... itís worth the trouble
To pull the Echo and lock it in the car during overnight parking. They are easy to remove and at almost $250-$300, they are a temping target. Do remember to reinstall it before pulling out in the morning cause if it isnít installed, you have no trailer brakes.....PirateChris
PirateChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 04:51 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' International
Atlanta , Georgia
I have been using the Echo for about a year. You download the app onto your cell phone. We set it instantly, my wife had it sync in seconds. There is no delay, works great. I am towing an 19 ft airstream with a BMW X5.

Same controls and settings as a wired controller.
sepohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Thinking that some may have way too much $$$$$
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:54 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Been using the Echo for 18 months. Works flawlessly, and would never consider going to a wired controller. Take the plunge into the 21st century
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 09:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
My 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI, custom ordered and built in October of 2006, had a significant omission. The trailer towing wiring harness (part of the towing package that also included a factory installed receiver) from the driverís footwell to the passenger side rear wiring area was not installed. Not wanting to tear out the interior on a new car, we went with the Prodigy RF and installed the remote on our new 2013 2FB International Serenity at the selling dealership in Los Angles. Over time, a non-fixable bug surfaced. If the turn signals are on and I brake firmly, the trailer brakes pulsate at the blinking rate of the turn signals and ramp up the amplitude of the signals with great challenges to passenger comfort and control of the rig due to the jerking.

Tekonsha has has NO solution nor plans to expend any more effort on the issue.

Fast forward to today and we are in deliberation over retiring our 2007 ML that has 198,800 miles. Repairs in the last two years have exceeded $15,000 and I know the chronic oil cooler issue is about to reappear (every 75,000 to 80,000 miles) for a $3,500 repair. The trade-in value is maybe $3,500 and a private sale might fetch $6,000 on a good day. I have replaced the engine and transmission mounts twice, the front suspension once and am still ion the second set of brakes pads.

If we elect to keep the ML, I would replace the Tekonsha RF with a Tuson brake controller like I have in our 2012 Ram 2500HD tow vehicle. I would remove the Tekonsaha remote brake system from the front of the 23D reducing tongue weight by at least 70 pounds.

For us the Prodigy RF was a solution to a wiring problem. If the ML goes, we still have a Hensley stinger for the 23D that we used on the 25FB. We can tow both trailers with the truck.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:46 PM   #12
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
My 2007 Mercedes ML320 CDI, custom ordered and built in October of 2006, had a significant omission. The trailer towing wiring harness (part of the towing package that also included a factory installed receiver) from the driverís footwell to the passenger side rear wiring area was not installed. Not wanting to tear out the interior on a new car, we went with the Prodigy RF and installed the remote on our new 2013 2FB International Serenity at the selling dealership in Los Angles. Over time, a non-fixable bug surfaced. If the turn signals are on and I brake firmly, the trailer brakes pulsate at the blinking rate of the turn signals and ramp up the amplitude of the signals with great challenges to passenger comfort and control of the rig due to the jerking.

Tekonsha has has NO solution nor plans to expend any more effort on the issue.

Fast forward to today and we are in deliberation over retiring our 2007 ML that has 198,800 miles. Repairs in the last two years have exceeded $15,000 and I know the chronic oil cooler issue is about to reappear (every 75,000 to 80,000 miles) for a $3,500 repair. The trade-in value is maybe $3,500 and a private sale might fetch $6,000 on a good day. I have replaced the engine and transmission mounts twice, the front suspension once and am still ion the second set of brakes pads.

If we elect to keep the ML, I would replace the Tekonsha RF with a Tuson brake controller like I have in our 2012 Ram 2500HD tow vehicle. I would remove the Tekonsaha remote brake system from the front of the 23D reducing tongue weight by at least 70 pounds.

For us the Prodigy RF was a solution to a wiring problem. If the ML goes, we still have a Hensley stinger for the 23D that we used on the 25FB. We can tow both trailers with the truck.
The Euro SUVs have some electric interference issue, but Curt sells a $30 adapter at the 7-pin connector which solves it.

Google or look on eTrailer for the unit.

Aside from that, I found that the new 2018> Ford F250's that we were renting as TVs have some other problem where it won't work the trailer lights & signals properly (& the Curt adapter didn't help).

That's a different problem than your MBZ-Tek RF issue, but it shows that any manufacturer can screw up their towing set up!

Try that before you give up on the Tek RF

Cheers!
Tom
///////

1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-14 Cayenne S
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote