Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2003, 05:11 PM   #1
BDBLUEGRASS

1975 31' Sovereign
HEBER SPRINGS , Arkansas
Prodigy Brake Controller

JUST INSTALLED MY NEW PRODIGY BRAKE CONTROLLER. REPLACED THE VOYAGER. WHAT A DIFFERENCE. THE VOYAGER WAS VERY ROUGH AT BEST. THE PRODIGY WORKS VERY SMOOTH. AND SINCE I LIVE IN THE OZARKS I HAVE NO PROBLEM FINDING A DEMANDING ROAD TO TEST MY BRAKES ON. WHAT A PLEASANT SURPRISE I TOW A 26 FT. ARGOSY
HAVE A NICE FOREVER
BILLY
bdbluegrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 06:34 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree 1000+%. I just did the same thing a few weeks ago and it is a total night and day difference.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 09:26 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
What Power Setting?

I just did the same thing and agree that it is much smoother with the Prodigy. The only "issue" that I have is that no matter how high I set the gain, when I manually hit the trailer brakes, I can never get the trailer to lock up. They suggest a 25-45mph speed then adjust the gain until the wheels are just shy of lock-up when manually controlled. I have had it up to the max and still no lock-up. The brakes are fine, just had them adjusted and, in use, the rig stops very nicely.
Just curious what he experience of others has been during set-up.
Jace
Old 04-23-2003, 09:31 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I read the instructions off the web that you set the Prodigy for between 3.2 and 3.5 without boost and find the sweet spot for your need. I am currently at 3.4 and found that I don't need to lock them up. I have tromped on the brakes and have gone down a steep grade and everytime, the unit has exceeded my expectations.

The brakes from what I understand should not lock. I have taken the "wammy bar" and used it at 25mph and man did that slow the car down!

Eric
Old 04-23-2003, 10:39 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

JaceBeck,

I just pulled home my new (to me) 77 Trade Wind about two weeks ago. I also have the Prodigy but my ideal setting was at 6.3 or so which is just shy of lock up. Any more and the tires begin to squeal.

I have no idea of the condition of my brakes though. The trailer has been stored for the last several years. Bearing serivce and brake check is in order...

It seems a little odd to me that you coudn't acheive lock up at full power...
-jm
jmeredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:03 AM   #6
Rivet Master

JaceBeck, I am unable to lock my 6000 pound 25 foot Excella wheels with any of the 4 brake controllers I have tried, including the current Jordan 2020. (Which is just superb). I raised this with Walt Barksdale, proprietor of Walt's RV, North Florida, whose professional life is spent solely on maintaining and repairing Airstreams. Walt has forgotten more about Airstream's than I will ever know! He told me that with the size of brakes on the Excella, and the weight carried, the brakes will never lock on dry pavement. The rig stops very well. This will clearly vary from model to model, with weight of trailer and size of brakes, but I pass it on to indicate that your symptoms may not be a problem. Other members with the same trailer as you have will be able to give better guidance on this point. Good luck. Nick.
Old 04-24-2003, 07:01 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Mine lock up....

I installed new brake plates on the front axle, and I can get them to lock up. However, I do NOT want them to lock up. It is rough on the tires, and could be very dangerous on a wet and slippery road. You don't want your tow vehicle brakes to lock up, (that's why they have ABS)why would you want your trailer brakes to? I adjusted mine back so they don't.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Pick, it's useful to be able to lock the wheels because the manufacturer's instructions are to increase amperage until the wheels lock, and then reduce amperage very slightly, until the wheels don't lock. The greatest braking is just before the wheels lock. Once they lock, friction starts to heat the point of contact, and the coefficient of friction decreases between the hot rubber and the pavement. We thus wish to avoid locking, but be able to get close to it. You have done exactly what is required. Those of us that cannot lock the wheels cannot comply with the makers instructions. Nick.
Old 04-24-2003, 03:45 PM   #9
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
When I test the brakes with the "oh crap" bar, I assume that when I move it all the way to the other side, it is at full power. I have not been able to lock my trailer brakes and they are practically brand new (have less than 800 miles on them). They sure do grab hard though at full power, so hard that it is very uncomfortable. Setting it at the mid 3s without the boost seems to be a great balance for me.

Eric
Old 04-24-2003, 03:57 PM   #10
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Boost

Tekonsha says the boost is for "heavy trailers". I haven't needed the boost for my 5000# International or its predecessor. When I bumped the boost on once accidentally, I had grabbing brakes at low speeds.

I find the Prodigy is so smooth that I can't tell the trailer is back there most of the time.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:43 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
A somewhat related question regarding brake controllers. I understand that to check the brakeaway switch the unit must be disconnected from the tow vehicle. I would like to pull the brakeaway pin just to check the pin style, etc. If I disconnect the unit from the tow vehicle & the trailer battery, it is my understanding that the time limit ( the 5 minutes before burnout ) would be irrelevant as to burn out, etc. Is this correct?
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 08:47 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Yeah, A.E., if there is NO power anywhere feeding the brake system, then pulling the breakaway pin out should be safe.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 10:14 PM   #13
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The Prodigy is very smooth. I can't believe that I actually had anything else. I know and trust that the Jordan from what folks say here is good too, but am I very pleased with the Prodigy. I cannot believe how smooth is really is. There are times when I think it just isn't working and test it and it sure does work nice!

Eric