Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
nevada , Nevada
Only one of the two axles has brakes

I guess when they made my 59, they put electric brakes on the front axle and drum on the rear. The drums are long worn out and disconnected leaving only the electric brakes on the front axle that still work very well.

I see no reason to add electric brakes to the rear axle as it stops pleny good with the front but wanted to get other's thoughts on this issue.
wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Milltown , Wisconsin
When I had a 31 footer it only had electric brakes on the front axle, worked fine. My car trailer came with brakes on only one axle also.
ventport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
I guess when they made my 59, they put electric brakes on the front axle and drum on the rear. The drums are long worn out and disconnected leaving only the electric brakes on the front axle that still work very well.
I'm a little confused. I've never seen an electric brake that isn't a drum brake. Do you mean that your '59 had hydraulic brakes on the rear axle, and electric brakes on the front?

Quote:
I see no reason to add electric brakes to the rear axle as it stops pleny good with the front but wanted to get other's thoughts on this issue.
I personally would not take a tandem axle trailer on long-distance trips, at highway speeds, without brakes on all wheels. I believe there are a few states that require brakes on all wheels. Minnesota (my home state) does not.

You can replace all the brake parts for around $200 per axle if you do the work yourself.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:15 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I wonder if some were not built with electric on one axle and hydraulic drum brakes on the other.
My 61 has traces of old hydraulic lines on one axle but both axles were electric when I got it.
I would be more comfortable with brakes on all wheels but I have noticed many horse trailers will only have brakes on one axle and with a couple critters inside would probably be about the same weight as an overlander
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
nevada , Nevada
rear hydraulic brakes

Yes, the rear axle had hydraulic brakes that were disconnected probably many years ago. the trailer spec sheet states my overlander is around 3550 lbs dry and through renovating it I'm sure I've lightend it up some so fully loaded I cant imagine it being over about 4200 and like I stated, she slows down really well with just the front axle brakes.

I was just curious if other folks on this site go with just one axle with brakes and it sounds like some of you do.
Thanks
wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Florida law states a trailer over 3000#, will have brakes on all axles,so if you are pulling a trailer down here from another state,you should seriously consider brakes on all axles. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

The rest of the story ....

see

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f439...ked-29397.html
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Nevada requires brakes on all trailer wheels. You might get an exemption if it was originally provided with brakes on only one axle, but that is not the case since it originally hadd brakes on all four.

You should be able to easily mount electic backing plates on the hydraulic axle.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
brakes

Way, way, back then, most of the tandem axle Airstream trailers had brakes on both axles.

One axle had the huge doughnut magnet brakes.

The other axle had hydraulic brakes.

The theory was you had the best of both worlds??????? HUH!!!!

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote