Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2003, 12:25 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

No Brakes! Please Help?

My "new" 1973 31ft. International tandem axle w/ electric brakes has wires dangling on all 4 wheels. Each backing plate has a 1 inch dia. X 4 inch long cartridge with white end caps, which I {assume}?? is the magnet? Each cartridge has a stiff rod like wire and a flexible wire out the bottom going no where.
From the inside of the backing plate comes 2 RED?? wires also going no where.
I am prepared to run new equal length + & - wires from the umbellical cord connector to the brakes.
Now what do I do?
Thanks in advance for any consideration you may give to this.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 03:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Dick, http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=7467 describes how the wires run. dexteraxle.com gives detailed diagrams of modern systems in pdf format. In your position I would scrap the whole back plate assemblies, shoes, magnets, etc. The assemblies are cheap and simple to install with just 4 bolts. I have had many miserable hours fiddling with these parts, when I should have replaced the whole assemblies. Good luck. Nick.
Old 11-19-2003, 04:43 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by nickcrowhurst
Dick, http://www.airforums.com/forum...&threadid=7467 describes how the wires run. dexteraxle.com gives detailed diagrams of modern systems in pdf format. In your position I would scrap the whole back plate assemblies, shoes, magnets, etc. The assemblies are cheap and simple to install with just 4 bolts. I have had many miserable hours fiddling with these parts, when I should have replaced the whole assemblies. Good luck. Nick.
I agree with Nick. By the time you manage to get everything wired and operating, you will have spent so much time and money you would be better off just getting all the parts new, and bolt them on.
Terry
Old 11-20-2003, 01:45 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Thanks fellows, appreciate the correct advise, hopefully I can implement that in a few months, however right now that is not an option; I have to fix the brakes myself now in order to get the trailer to the DMV to get it inspected (verify vin #) in order to get a DE title & plates in order to legally bring it to a service center for new axles and brakes..
I have 12 volts and a good ground to each wheel.
I assume that the cartridge by eack wheel is a capacitor, with the stiff wire being the bleeder.
The question is:
Where does the other capacitor wire go? to positive, or ground??
Again, thanks in advance for any input.
Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote