Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1980 25' International
Lorton , Virginia
Thumbs down Newbie needs 1980 Intern. Brake magnet replacement

Hi everyone! My wife and I just purchased a 1980 international 25' as a Christmas present to our family, (10 yr old son and 12 yr old daughter). LOVE it and have spent a few nights in it already while I go through all that I need to to make it street legal in VA. We are very much NEWBIES!!!! Every night I spend reading the forums as a way to educate myself on all that lies in front of me. I am learning alot and the forums have been tremendous!! It has come to my attention that in checking out the brakes and all, I am in need of new magnets, as the magnets are worn beyond the wires being exposed to the drum. Looking through a few parts books for both Hayes and Dexter brake magnets, cannot seem to figure out which repacement magnet I need. Can you please help. Mine have a circular center, and a little arm that attaches them to the caliper(brake frame???)?? The ones that I have seen seem to have a side hole that fits over a pin. I am not sure which ones I can use as replacements and my mechanic friend is unsure. Can some one please help?

Thanks,

Rick

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00189-20120119-1032.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	149198  
rhutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Given the corrosion and wear I would suggest replacing the backing plate assembly with new loaded backing plates.

If you wish to proceed with a magnet replacement, only, the current production Hayes and Dexter magnets should both fit.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Etrailer has the magnets for around $23 and loaded Dexter 10" backing plates for $38 each.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You can get the whole backing plate with new shoes, magnets, springs etc for around $60 each. I plan on doing this with mine before too long. All my original magnets work but I have problems with the brakes not releasing right. I have had problems with one or more wheels running hot. I have to keep loosening the adjusters to keep one wheel from locking up or running hot. Replace all 4 at once and get the shoe and magnets faces turned at the same time. Replace any drums that are out of spec. You can find a lot of this stuff locally at a place that sells trailer parts or places that fab trailers. There are usually several of these places in a decent size southern town. In the south, everyone has to have some sort of flatbed trailer to pull behind their pickup truck (usually empty). I think this is some sort of redneck status symbol to take a sunday drive pulling your empty utility trailer. So there are plenty of places with parts. You can get this stuff online as well. You should pack the bearings and replace the seals. The double lip seals are about $3 each. There are places that will charge you $20 each for them.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:50 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
The cost for individual components relative to a new backing plate assembly makes total replacement an attractive option.

Based on the photograph I would be inclined to go with new backing plates. Knowing that I have good brakes, tires, and bearings allows me to rest better.

Ditto Jammer's post.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1980 25' International
Lorton , Virginia
Smile

Jammer, Perry, Kevin and all,

Thanks for the quick responses. I think I will follow your good advise and go ahead and replace the whole assembly rather then try to piece-meal the antique magnets.

Thanks,

Rick
rhutson is offline   Reply With Quote