Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-31-2005, 03:30 PM   #1
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
New Trailer Disc Brakes.

Effective February 1, 2005, all Classic trailers built by Airstream, will be equipped with "Disc Brakes."

The brake system is made by Kodiak and the actuator is made by ActiBrake.

These are the same components we chose sometime back.

Looks like this confirms that electric brakes will be a thing of the past.

Retro fitting the older trailers will not only make the owner a "Real Happy Camper" it will greatly inrease the braking performance, as well as add value to the trailers.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:42 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Real good news...thanks for posting this info Andy!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:50 PM   #3
Craftsman

Just in time for my new Airstream
Old 01-31-2005, 08:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Why Disc Brakes

I'm curious, why do I want disc brakes on my trailer.

I have never experianced brake fade, or any other problems I can pin point to being caused by the brakeing system. I have a small trailer and a large truck.
What is the advantage of disc brakes on a trailer. Is it just a fadeing thing?

Thanks
Old 02-01-2005, 12:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Gary.

There are many advantages to disc brakes over electric brakes.

For that matter there are many advantages to disc brakes over hydraulic brakes. If not, then why has the automotive industry changed to them?

Contrary to your thoughts, electric brakes are very famous for fade. Secondly, your large truck does not and cannot offer security if you had to make a panic stop. If you made a panic stop, and your trailer brakes faded, you can and usually will get into a sway condition that you really don't want to experience.

Additionally, disc brakes provide outstanding stopping performance and much smoother as well. Disc brakes also have one moving part versus six to twelve for electric brakes. Repair parts for the disc brakes are available at many auto parts stores. Not so for electric brakes.

Bottom line is the discs are much safer, better performing and considerably more reliable than electric brakes could ever be.

Please don't be mislead about the size of your truck. It does not offer any "magic" should you get into a sway. Many records prove that.

Ask someone that's been there.

Andy
Old 02-01-2005, 03:58 PM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree. If it's good enough for the auto industry, it's gotta be just as good for the RV industry. Put it this way, it couldn't hurt...and that's not knocking electric drums...they've been out there for years, but improvements in technology and overall lower cost as time goes on, to me makes it a no brainer....not that I'd run out and change the Safari brakes, I wouldn't, but if I had a choice as I do on tow vehicles, I would always opt for discs.

Good example is on the Impala SS. The sister car the Caprice in some configs had the exact same engine (minus mechanical cooling fan), same trans, etc. The SS got 4 wheel discs, the Caprice got front discs and rear drums. It kind of tells me that GM figured folks driving an SS with the special tires and suspension would need to bring the car down from worp speed and that disc (as found on the police packages) provided better stopping. I have both versions of this car I mention (Caprice and Impala SS). The Impala stops on a dime and can give you a nickel change.....the Caprice can too, but after a while, the brakes on the Caprice tend to fade faster than that of the SS's all wheel disc setup.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Effective February 1, 2005, all Classic trailers built by Airstream, will be equipped with "Disc Brakes."

The brake system is made by Kodiak and the actuator is made by ActiBrake.

These are the same components we chose sometime back.

Looks like this confirms that electric brakes will be a thing of the past.

Retro fitting the older trailers will not only make the owner a "Real Happy Camper" it will greatly inrease the braking performance, as well as add value to the trailers.

Andy
Approximately how much would it cost to get the electric brakes on my dual axle 30' Classic switched to disc brakes?

John
Old 02-01-2005, 06:35 PM   #8
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
Approximately how much would it cost to get the electric brakes on my dual axle 30' Classic switched to disc brakes?

John
Me thinks your first born.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:46 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
flyfisher

The prices for the various kits are posted on our web site, in the parts section.

Andy
Old 02-01-2005, 08:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
Quote:
flyfisher

The prices for the various kits are posted on our web site, in the parts section.

Andy
With Airstream now putting both the upgraded axles and the disc brakes on the 2005 Classics, this sounds to me like 2 significant improvements over prior year models...now that I just saw the prices for the disc brakes, however, I'll have to give some more thought about giving up my firstborn to get them.

John
Old 02-01-2005, 09:04 PM   #11
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:

Andy
I agree 100%. My 63 Overlander project will receive new axles with disc brakes. One trip over Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado quickly made me aware of the shortcomings of conventional electric drum brakes. Besides, the balancing issue is much improved with disc brakes over drum brakes.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:11 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Here's another source for a Kodiak aftermarket system:

http://www.etrailerpart.com/ultimateproseries.htm

And their parts and prices for two types of tandem sets, below (click to enlarge):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	probrake.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	10288   Click image for larger version

Name:	ultimatebrake.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	10289  

67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:12 AM   #13
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
OK, someone needs to explain this to non mechanics....

If the brakes are not electric, how are they activated from the tow vehicle?
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 05:18 AM   #14
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Tim,

The electical signal from the brake controller in the tow vehicle goes to a small hydraulic pump. From the pump, the system is hydraulic, just like a 1984 Chevy Cavalier.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 08:01 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
With Airstream now putting both the upgraded axles and the disc brakes on the 2005 Classics, this sounds to me like 2 significant improvements over prior year models...now that I just saw the prices for the disc brakes, however, I'll have to give some more thought about giving up my firstborn to get them.

John
I agree, they are two significant improvements and it will add to the value of the coach and differentiate it from other brands further. One question that has come up about the upgraded axles was the frame. With all that "extra" NCC possible, will the frame still be a happy camper. To play the other side of the fence though, I couldn't see loading a coach up to the new limits....the new limits IMHO are fairly generous.

Regardless, it's a nice direction to take, and if we upgrade to a Classic in the future, I'll be looking forward to the upgrades.
Old 02-02-2005, 08:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Question?? Do all 2005 classics come equipped with disc brakes standard? We have a 25' Classic in transit from the factory and hope to take delivery this weekend, The salesman never mentioned this during our conversation. This would be pleasant surprise. Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 09:22 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Additional info here an disc brakes.----I couldn't stand to not know if my 25' clasic would have the new brake system so I called the factory. Was told "the disc brkes are on hold for 6 to8 weeks". At first I was a little dissappointed then I remembered my days in the automobile busness where the manufactures would come out with something new then have to sort the "bugs" out fo it for the first model year. No doubt disc are better than drum but now that I think about it I'm happy with what I have coming.-----Pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 10:52 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
I remembered my days in the automobile busness where the manufactures would come out with something new then have to sort the "bugs" out fo it for the first model year. Pieman
I agree. I like the wait and see approach before I try something new to the market. If they go over big then repairs, parts, etc. will be readily available when traveling.

Enjoy your new trailer!
Old 02-02-2005, 11:01 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
There are no bugs to work out.

The system parts have been available to the market for some time. The "interest" is new.

However, the wait and see what happens, will cost more money.

There is a steel shortage, and almost everything we buy that's has steel parts, now has a surcharge.

Axles, as an example has an 18 percent surcharge, and it's getting worse. The next increase will cause us to raise the prices on axles.

The same will hold true for the disc brake kits.

Not us, not them, but the steel suppliers are in a bind, and there seems to be no end in sight.

Andy
Old 02-02-2005, 11:31 AM   #20
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
There are no bugs to work out.

The system parts have been available to the market for some time. The "interest" is new.

However, the wait and see what happens, will cost more money.

There is a steel shortage, and almost everything we buy that's has steel parts, now has a surcharge.

Axles, as an example has an 18 percent surcharge, and it's getting worse. The next increase will cause us to raise the prices on axles.

The same will hold true for the disc brake kits.

Not us, not them, but the steel suppliers are in a bind, and there seems to be no end in sight.

Andy
Those pesky Chinese!

I've heard that steel and lumber have gone up dramatically now that folks are no longer living in caves round there. Sheets of plywood that once cost $12-$15 are now war bucks!

Wanna play, gotta pay I suppose.