Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Huntsville , Texas
New Brake System Help

A RV repair shop looked at the brake system on my 1977 31' Sovereign trailer. He said the discs, magnets and basically the whole system was shot, rusted, etc., and it wasn't functioning. Pads were in ok condition.

He gave me a quote for about $300 a wheel (4 wheels) to repair the whole brake system.

- Is this a reasonable quote?
- What is the skill level required to self-install new brakes?

Thanks,
KWD
kdufour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
You state discs and magnets and pads, do you have disc brakes or drum brakes. If disc - $300 is not bad, what are they replacing them with? If drum, new loaded backing plates can be purchased for $50 to $75 each, which would then make the labor about two hours each, probably high.

Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdufour View Post
A RV repair shop looked at the brake system on my 1977 31' Sovereign trailer. He said the discs, magnets and basically the whole system was shot, rusted, etc., and it wasn't functioning. Pads were in ok condition.

He gave me a quote for about $300 a wheel (4 wheels) to repair the whole brake system.

Thanks,
KWD
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Are the drums still useable? If all you need is new backing plates they run less than $100 each.

You can get them at inland RV or Outdoors Mart. If you have basic skills you should be able to do it. You would want to service the bearings at the same time.

http://odmrv.com/catalog/index.php?m...136os5gac4ev23
Old 12-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
At $600 per axle to fix electric brakes, you're getting close to the cost of replacing the whole axle with one that comes loaded with new brakes, drums and all. If your '77 Sovereign has '77 axles, that's something to consider.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
New Brake System Help

Greetings kdufour!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstreams!

Quote:

Thanks,
KWD
The quote seems to be within reason provided the shop knows and understands the Excella Hydravac Disc Brakes utilized on 1970s era Airstreams. Certain parts are quite difficult to obtain and (unless something has changed rather recently) are often available as rebuilt or reproduction from a very few sources. Something else to be aware of is that this system as it was originally installed requires a vacuum tap on the tow vehicle to provide power to the actuator . . . since the brakes are currently inoperable, I would suspect that a modern actuator pump has not been installed as is often done when the system is updated for use with modern tow vehicles. The Excella Hydravac Disc Brakes were state of the art in the 1970s and continue to provide superior braking when properly maintained, but in this instance it might be more cost effective to consider new axles with modern disc brakes and the matching actuator pump.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

Thanks,
KWD
Before you spend any money on the running gear, it would be wise to check out the axles.

The rubber rods in torsion axles don't last 35 years, but more like 25 years as an average.

The following article will help you check them out.

The Dura-Torque Axle

Should you need new axles, you can get them complete with all the upgrades from 35 years ago.

Installing them, is not a big deal.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Huntsville , Texas
Thanks everyone for the help!
kdufour is offline   Reply With Quote