Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-21-2003, 12:21 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

New brake shoes and jacking point

I am planning on putting new brake shoes on my 21 foot 92 model sovereign. Does anyone know the proper place to put the jack to lift the wheels? A tire dealer put his jack under the cover for the black water tank and dented it pretty bad (so far it hasn't leaked). I put the jack between the wheels once but later heard that I should not do that.
Are there any particular problems in putting brake shoes on such as the need for special tools? Do the brake magnets normally need to be replaced when putting on new shoes? Thanks.
Wayne
wayner1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 12:24 PM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
jack points

Your unit is new enough that the jack points should be identifiable by the blue stickers underneath. Mine are just rear of the rear axle. Big blue sticker that says "jack point".

Jacking is bad for AS. never jack the axles and most folks just roll the trailer up on a block or ramp. You will have to do one wheel at a time.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 12:40 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
According to Andy from Inland....

The best place to jack is between the wheels on the frame. Place your jackstands at the jacking points and lower the trailer back down on the stands.

I was told, that as a rule, you should go through 4 sets of magnets for every one set of brake shoes. As long as you cannot see magnet wire in the magnet surface they are considered OK. I think the minimum brake shoe thickness is 1/16".
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2003, 02:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Jacking point

Back near the rear stabilizer, you'll see a sticker with "Jack" and an Arrow(Do not jack up on the sticker) pointing towards an aluminium diamond riveted onto the belly. This is you're jacking point.

The magnets wear out before the linings do. You can by a complete brake assembly(Lining, springs, magnets & backing plate) from Redneck Trailer Supply for $53.00 per wheel. You remove 5 bolts and the brake wire, then bolt on the new backing plate and reconnect the wires.

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 02:08 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

I looked for the jacking point but could not find it on my a/s. The manual says that there is a label just behind the rear wheels but it just isn't there. I will probably pull it up on a block and do one wheel at a time; but when I have tires put on I want to be sure that the tire dealer knows where to put the jack. I guess if the jack is placed close to where the stabalizers are located and in line with the rail that goes between the tires it will be OK.
I was not aware that the magnets should be replaced so often. My brake shoes are down to about 1/16 in. and I have never replaced the magnets. I wish I had known about the availability of the complete assembly (shoes & magnets). I have already purchased the shoes so I guess I will buy the magnets and do the job the hard way.
Thanks to everyone for your help. I really appreciate this forum where I can get help from experienced airstreamers.
wayner1239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2003, 02:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

If your magnets are wearing evenly across(not one side lower than the other), you're probably ok!

In the manual, it will show you what to look for as far as the magnets are concerned.

Your's may be fine!!

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 23' International
Centennial , Colorado
There are several posts on this forum regarding jack points on the trailers. Please be careful and always watch technicians when they jack up your trailer. Many times they just don't know where to place the jack.....then there are problems.