Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-23-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 29' Sovereign
Winter Park , Florida
Just bought 1990 excella brake question

Just purchased 1990 excella, so far have pulled two of the three road side drums and measured the depth of brake pads (to the top of the rivet) with a tire tread depth guage and just a hair less than 2/32 left, pretty even across all rivets. Is it time to replace these brakes or can I run them a while?
safariuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by safariuser View Post
Just purchased 1990 excella, so far have pulled two of the three road side drums and measured the depth of brake pads (to the top of the rivet) with a tire tread depth guage and just a hair less than 2/32 left, pretty even across all rivets. Is it time to replace these brakes or can I run them a while?
Since the brakes are 20 years old, I would replace them.

You only have maye a couple of thousands of miles left on the originals, anyway.

You can now purchase electric brakes, that are self adjusting.

Simply replace the complete backing plate, which costs just a little more that the shoes, but probably around the next corner, you would need the magnets too.

Magnets and shoes cost more than a complete backing plate.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1985 29' Sovereign
Winter Park , Florida
Andy: I'm correct in assuming these are likely the original shoes? Are you basing that on the rivets? If you look at the level of rust elsewhere around the axle, break mounting flange, within the brake mechanism itself, it all looks about the same to me. The reason I ask is the man I bought this from only put less than a thousand miles on it in the two years he owned it and he said the previous owner had inherited it from his father. I'm just trying to get an idea of the total mileage. What do you think?
safariuser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1990 excella, brakes