Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Brakes & Brake Controllers
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2022, 07:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
How to evaluate if it is the brakes or the controller

I recently took my 2021 FC23FB to the dealer one year after I got it, around May. The passenger rear tire was locking up when braking and there was a recall pending (?) at the time, so apparently the drum needed replacing. It would also pull dramatically to the left with hard braking. No more locking or pulling at this point, I think...

I have a Redarc controller with settings 1-10. I don't recall anything happening in the early days (1 year ago) when the brakes and controller were new, but jumping foward to today, it appears that I need to set the controller to "2" when I'm driving under 30mph in order to have a smooth stop. At highway speeds, "3 or 4" will do the job to get it under 30mph, but if I lift off the brake, then brake again, there is a tremendous "grab", that jerks me forward while the trailer is coming to a fast stop.

First, is this the way all controllers work? Must they be adjusted on-the-fly? Is this likely a Redarc problem?

Second, I realize the Airstream has hydraulic drum brakes, but I never experienced this in a car back-in-the-day. I'm wondering if I still have brake problems and should return to the dealer?

Thanks for the education!
gdavis57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 07:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
I would crawl under there and see if that caliper is hooked up right. I had one that ran hot, I finally found that the bolts holding the caliper was letting it be crooked, and wore down those pads; and so was running hot.

Wait, if it's pulling the other way, then that brake isn't working.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 09:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I have not heard of any brake controller that needs to be adjusted for different speeds that fall into the category of normal driving.

I do have the experience that my brakes apply with a noticeable jerk at lower speeds. I think this is a characteristic of electric brakes. (I am using the factory-installed brake controller on my GMC Yukon).

By the way, most Airstreams have electric drum brakes. Some Airstreams did come with electric over hydraulic disc brakes, but that was years ago.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:32 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2021 27' Globetrotter
Malibu , California
Check previously posted threads about my ordeal. File a warranty case with Dexter and have the whole system replaced. I experienced your issue for an entire being told it was my car; the controller etc etc
CMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 10:59 PM   #5
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdavis57 View Post
First, is this the way all controllers work?
Must they be adjusted on-the-fly?
Is this likely a Redarc problem?

Second, I realize the Airstream has hydraulic drum brakes, but I never experienced this in a car back-in-the-day. I'm wondering if I still have brake problems and should return to the dealer?
First - No, no and maybe
Normal or typical operation would not require brake controller adjustment on the same trip. And maybe not for many many trips

Second, AS trailer brakes are electrically operated which is why you have a brake controller. As to the question, yes the operation you are describing (Grabbing brakes) is not normal.

Action
Old 08-22-2022, 09:15 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2021 27' Flying Cloud
Winter Park , Florida
I second the warranty recommendation. Had the same issue on my 2021 FC 27FB. Dearer replaced and handled the warranty claim.
NickWP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 06:15 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2021 23' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas

Per the airstream dealer who repaired this, Dexter sent him the part(s). I’m in my way back to the dealer to evaluate again on Wednesday. Despite this problem, he seems pretty good. Question: are you saying that you would take it to Dexter and have them replace everything themselves, working or not? Where is Dexter? I’m in Austin TX (in a couple days).
gdavis57 is offline   Reply With Quote