Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2022, 07:28 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Things that owners do to their new vehicles do not ¨destroy¨ the new vehicle warranty.

It is only if that change that is done changes or impacts or harms a Ford installed part. You add a trailer controller and there is an excessive gap in the right door causing a whistling. The adjustment to align the door is going to be covered under the warranty.

Now if you get in a collision by hitting a vehicle in front of you and it is discovered you have trailer brakes that are not correctly working, you have liability for the damage.

Action
I visited an aftermarket trailer brake install company in Savanah, GA. The owner claimed that the only way to install a controller on a newer vehicle with the integrated TBC already installed, would require work which would void my warranty on the interface and brake controller. He also mentioned he couldn’t guarantee that the new controller wouldn’t have the same issue. There are multiple units communicating with one another on the new systems. It’s a mess!!!
Old 12-13-2022, 07:44 AM   #22
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
I visited an aftermarket trailer brake install company in Savanah, GA. The owner claimed that the only way to install a controller on a newer vehicle with the integrated TBC already installed, would require work which would void my warranty on the interface and brake controller. He also mentioned he couldn’t guarantee that the new controller wouldn’t have the same issue. There are multiple units communicating with one another on the new systems. It’s a mess!!!
Interesting, can GM be that much different?

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 12-13-2022, 08:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Interesting, can GM be that much different?

Bob
����
All brands new vehicles have overly complex systems with potential issues. I do really like the vehicle, I like everything about it. The ride, comfort, my opinion is it tows better than my 2021 F150. The only issue I am contending with is the brake controller. Unfortunately, it is a really important feature. I am able to get by with an extreme gap for stopping distance, and the inconvenience of keeping my hand on the brake controller when traffic increases. I’m thanking god the manual controller works!!!
Old 12-13-2022, 09:23 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1000pre View Post
Two dealers now have told me there is nothing they can do. It must be my trailer. This is the same exact response I got from two dealers last year with my F150.
I hate say it but I think it is time you look harder at the trailer. First off, your gain setting is way too high in my opinion. I have had 2015 F150, 2018 F150, and now 2022 F250 and never needed gain more than 5 on any of them. I have had no issues with the brake controller on any of them and I did have the recall on my latest. Some ideas on things check:
1). Is the Bargman connector seating properly and fully into the TV 7-way. The connector that came with our 2017 25FB would not plug in fully due to molding issues which require a new trailer side connector to fix. Also check pin splay and maybe try some dielectric grease.
2) Maybe you have a ground issue. Any loose connection in the ground line would result in the return path going through the hitch which could cause erratic behavior. I would check ground line from connector to junction box in the trailer and to frame ground.
3) Check the break away switch. Not sure what to look for, but...
4) You may want to take the Airstream into a dealer and have them check the Dexter axle brakes. We had a pre-mature failure on one and it turned out Dexter had some brake issues and they covered replacement including labor under warranty.

I am sure this is a very frustrating problem but it would be a shame to put in an aftermarket controller and find out you still have the same issues.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 06:22 AM   #25
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Did you resolve this issue?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 06:43 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2021 30' Flying Cloud
2020 25' International
minneapolis , Minnesota
Not yet. It isn’t the trailer brakes. The brakes fully engage on the trailer when I squeeze the Ford brake controller. The issue is the brake controller isn’t sending enough power when the brake pedal is pressed. To get by, I now have my gain at 9.5 and brake assist set to high. The brakes are engaging, just not enough. I have been using the manual Squeeze when needing a quick brake for the stoplights that change at just the wrong time.
Old 01-07-2023, 08:44 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
The trailer brakes ought to be causing the tires to lock up and skid at power 9 or 10. I'd check their adjustment. The lever arm that holds the brake electromagnetic can only move so far regardless of voltage. So at lower voltages, such as a normal stop, the brake pads may be barely engaging.

As the brake pads wear adjustments need to be made to maintain proper braking action.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote