Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #1

1970 27' Overlander
Lizella , Georgia
Green wire/White wire magnets

Hello airstream forum members! This is my first posting. Unfortunately it is a request for help / advise from all you experts. I want to replace my brake assemblies on a 1970 Sovereign. I have decided, from reading on forums, to go with the new Dexter 12" X 2" Nev-R-Adjust brakes.
I am concerned that because this is a Dexter brand and the OEM is Kelsey- Hayes is this a exact replacement? What about the new white wire oval magnet vs the OEM green wire round?
Also these Dexter assy. are rated @ 6K vs 3.5K on the green wire. I do not know what the rating was on the OEM axles but the trailer weighs approx. 6K.
The only green wire I have found is on the Dexter 10" X 2-1/4" brake assy.
What is the difference in the green wire magnet and the white wire one?
Andy @ Inland said in a posting that this would work fine.
I just don't want to over brake this RV. In the past I never could lock up my wheels. In an emergency situation I felt like I did not have enough brake. Does the white wire magnet supply more force by current load?
Please feel free to try and put my mind at ease with this rebuild.
Thanks in advance!
robbier49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbier49 View Post
I just don't want to over brake this RV. In the past I never could lock up my wheels. In an emergency situation I felt like I did not have enough brake.
What I have been told is except as a test at slow speeds on a gravel/dirt road trailer brakes should not lock up. The reason why is if the trailer brakes are locked the trailer could go into an uncontrolled skid, fishtail, or jacknife.
Old 07-08-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You will be fine.

The new oval magnets are stronger but when you set up your brake controller you will only be using what is necessary for your trailer.

Depending on what controller you are using most will say drive about 25 mph and slam on the manual brake lever on the controller. If the wheels lock back off on the controller setting until just below the point at which the brakes lock. That should be the set point for your system. Check with your manual for exact set up procedure.

As noted above you do not want the brakes to lock on the road as the trailer will come around and KISS you.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #4

1970 27' Overlander
Lizella , Georgia
Green wire / white wire magnets

Thanks Lumatic & HowieE for the info.
Is there anyone out there who has replaced their Kelsey-Hayes brake plate assemblies with the Dexter assemblies? Were there any issues with fit?
What about brake performance? I am wondering about the change from the green wire round magnets to the white wire oval ones...
robbier49 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes