Before installing four new Dexter 12 X 2 Nev-r-adjust Electric Brake Assemblies on my 2008, 25 ft Safari, I read the excellent post in RV.NET by John Barca regarding these brakes possibly over adjusting. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/23458294.cfm
I could not see any problems with my drums and installed the new brake assemblies. Following the instructions in the Dexter manual, I broke in the new linings and once all four brakes were pulling I adjusted the trucks brake controller just shy of locking up. I took a 20 mile shake down run with plenty of starts and stops to make sure everything was working correctly.
We then took off on a 4000 mile trip which included a lot of up and down mesas, canyons and mountains. The first 1000 miles was mostly flat land and except for a few times when the gas mileage was suspiciously low, there was no noticeable problem with the brakes. Once we started going down steep grades where serious braking was needed, the self-adjusting brakes started dragging. We normally get about 10 to 11 MPG and the truck is quite happy running in 6th gear, even up slight inclines. With the brakes dragging we were down to 7 MPG and running in 5th gear. Once the linings wore off, the MPG would go back up and we’d be back in 6th gear.
Once we got back home I pulled the brake drums off and saw that my brand new linings were worn half way off. All 4 wheels appeared the same. I re-read John Barca’s post and decided the simplest solution for me was to remove the self-adjusting feature on my brakes.
It is a very simple job to remove the self-adjusting feature, the only tool needed was a pair of pliers. Lift the ring off of the hook at the top off the brakes and all the other pieces just come off. If desired, the parts could be re-installed.
Once the drums were back on, I adjusted the star wheels and I now have 4 brakes that work when I push on the brake pedal and release when I take my foot off the brakes.