Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2021, 07:32 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by STREMN View Post
Hi Rich,

The Actuator was replaced with a: Dexter Model E/H 1600

For reference the recall inspection procedure: Attachment 388178

AirStream Customer Recall Notice Actuator: Attachment 388179

AirStream Customer Recall Notice Brake Lines: Attachment 388180

Tom - S/OS #025
Thanks, what has been your experience with the dexter actuator? Any apply lag time...etc.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:57 AM   #22
Site Team

2008 30' Classic S/O
Hampton Beach , New Hampshire
EOH Safety Recall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Thanks, what has been your experience with the dexter actuator? Any apply lag time...etc.
Works awesome! The system is responsive, confident and strong. We're so spoiled by the disc performance.

"Lag" time is primarily a product of system setup. There's a long line from the actuator to the axles. Attention to details like ensuring the hydraulic lines are bled of all air bubbles let's the system work efficiently as designed.

Tom - S/OS #025
- 2008 30' Classic S/O - S/OS #025 - Riding on 16" Wheels and Tires -
- Live Free or Die -
STREMN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 10:27 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by STREMN View Post
Works awesome! The system is responsive, confident and strong. We're so spoiled by the disc performance.

"Lag" time is primarily a product of system setup. There's a long line from the actuator to the axles. Attention to details like ensuring the hydraulic lines are bled of all air bubbles let's the system work efficiently as designed.

Tom - S/OS #025
Right, the problem with these actuators is that none that I know of utilize an accumulator, like automotive hydraulic boosters. Thus, there is no pressurized fluid at the ready and you have to wait for the pump to spool up pressure. That bamboozles me!
I have become an expert in bleeding the brakes after installing longer caliper hoses and exchanging fluid 2 additional times over the years.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 02-06-2021, 11:09 AM   #24
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Rich

Puzzled by the comparison to automotive accumulator comment. Care to elaborate on the automotive here it is on a car or truck?

I’d rather be tending a nice campfire.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 12:28 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Rich

Puzzled by the comparison to automotive accumulator comment. Care to elaborate on the automotive here it is on a car or truck?

I’d rather be tending a nice campfire.

Gary
Older gm hydroboost systems used a high pressure accumulator so power brakes always had assist available. I dont understand why trailer manufacturers dont use a similar setup so there is always high pressure fluid available for immediate brake line pressure upon pedal application.
It was used on a number of low vacuum engine combinations. Buick Grand National comes to mind.

Old 02-06-2021, 01:56 PM   #26
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Older gm hydroboost systems used a high pressure accumulator so power brakes always had assist available. I dont understand why trailer manufacturers dont use a similar setup so there is always high pressure fluid available for immediate brake line pressure upon pedal application.
It was used on a number of low vacuum engine combinations. Buick Grand National comes to mind.
Hydroboost is common on diesel pick up trucks. My 2005 Dodge has one. It uses the PS pump systems pressure in place of engine vacuum and the vacuum booster to provide reduced pedal effort for the brakes. It also provides for an application or two of power assisted braking with the engine off via its accumulator just like a vacuum booster does.

It reduces the effort required by the driver to push the brake pedal down. It doesn't maintain hydraulic pressure in the brake system.

But it looks like the OP hasn't come back for a follow up or current status.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 08:56 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
Hydroboost is common on diesel pick up trucks. My 2005 Dodge has one. It uses the PS pump systems pressure in place of engine vacuum and the vacuum booster to provide reduced pedal effort for the brakes. It also provides for an application or two of power assisted braking with the engine off via its accumulator just like a vacuum booster does.

It reduces the effort required by the driver to push the brake pedal down. It doesn't maintain hydraulic pressure in the brake system.

But it looks like the OP hasn't come back for a follow up or current status.
Ugg, Gary. You're not getting my meaning. I said a system similar to hydroboost to provide ready pressurized brake fluid to be regulated by the controller. I am fully aware that hydroboost was for assist, and I stated that. While the accumulator was only about 200 psi on hydroboost, line pressure could always be boosted by a "master cylinder" piston of the proper diameter to provide 1600psi normally utilized for trailer disc brake systems.
Better yet, just design a more robust accumulator at the existing 1600psi and just modulate it with electronically and processor controlled flow valve.

And yes, diesels are one of the low vacuum powertrains I referenced.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:02 PM   #28
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have mentioned this before about TT with Dexter A/H units. In cold weather they can draw higher amps than the old "Actibrake" units. The regular electrical brake power wiring has been changed to accommodate that increase. However, the emergency breakaway switch and wiring has not, and will only last 5 seconds or so then it will burn out. Airstream techs say that is why the Owners Manual says not to use it as a parking brake. The pump change was after the breakaway system was installed. Go figure!
guskmg
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 09:15 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by guskmg View Post
I have mentioned this before about TT with Dexter A/H units. In cold weather they can draw higher amps than the old "Actibrake" units. The regular electrical brake power wiring has been changed to accommodate that increase. However, the emergency breakaway switch and wiring has not, and will only last 5 seconds or so then it will burn out. Airstream techs say that is why the Owners Manual says not to use it as a parking brake. The pump change was after the breakaway system was installed. Go figure!
guskmg
I was scanning the Tucson manual yesterday. They also mention larger wire size for install. Not sure they mention the breakaway switch. Does anyone produce a more robust breakaway switch?

Old 02-11-2021, 03:19 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

LAKE MILLS , Wisconsin
The Tuson unit pulls "very little current" from blue wire, and thus a break away switch connected to blue wire (if conventional wiring) would work fine. If a separate red wire is connected to break away input (not to blue wire) this input also pulls "very little current", is monitored by CPU which then activates brakes. So no problem with break away switch. Tuson unit pulls its power from the black wire (battery) and thus does not draw high motor currents from a break away switch. Thus, per someones comment, a full size trailer battery with larger wire from battery to actuator will reduce voltage drop at high inrush currents and come up to pressure faster. Additionally the Tuson unit has the pressure modulating valve wide open when starting where other units are modulating the valve and thus Tuson comes up to pressure faster. Hope this helps.
RTOS_LLC is offline   Reply With Quote