Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2013, 04:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
Dragging brake pads

Electric over hydraulic brakes are dragging. Today, I removed one of the wheel's pads. My 'help' pressed the brake pedal and the piston did not move. However, when she operated the slide on my Kelsey controller, the piston moved out and I saw that the boot was torn. Hydraulic fluid flowed onto the concrete. I'm not sure if the breakage was due to the pads not in place? Also, I don't why the pedal didn't engaged the piston? There is one piston per caliper.
litlgeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
All right, one piston per caliper. That describes a floating caliper. The caliper assembly can move or slide on its caliper mounting bolts. I think a pic might help. Is your piston metallic or non metallic? Again, if the caliper is not able to slide then it can drag, I bet most likely on the side opposite the piston. Are these Dexter's, Kodiak or unknown?
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Most controllers sense deceleration and then apply a proportional signal to the brake actuator (or electric brakes) to match the trailer braking effort to the TV effort.

If you are not moving, no deceleration, no output.

Actuating the brakes manually with a pad removed sure could lead to what you experienced as the piston traveled well past where it normally would -- might have rolled a seal as well.

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by litlgeezer View Post
Electric over hydraulic brakes are dragging. Today, I removed one of the wheel's pads. My 'help' pressed the brake pedal and the piston did not move. However, when she operated the slide on my Kelsey controller, the piston moved out and I saw that the boot was torn. Hydraulic fluid flowed onto the concrete. I'm not sure if the breakage was due to the pads not in place? Also, I don't why the pedal didn't engaged the piston? There is one piston per caliper.
The pistons can seize.

After 34 years you should overhaul the calipers.

The "O" rings and "BOOTS" are available.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCinSC2 View Post
All right, one piston per caliper. That describes a floating caliper. The caliper assembly can move or slide on its caliper mounting bolts. I think a pic might help. Is your piston metallic or non metallic? Again, if the caliper is not able to slide then it can drag, I bet most likely on the side opposite the piston. Are these Dexter's, Kodiak or unknown?
For some reason, I think Kodiak. Appeared to dragging on the side away from the piston, according to the position of the pads when I first removed the wheel.

Sorry, but I haven't yet learned how to paste pictures into my posts. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
For some reason, I think Kodiak. Appeared to dragging on the side away from the piston, according to the position of the pads when I first removed the wheel.

Sorry, but I haven't yet learned how to paste pictures into my posts. Thanks.
If the disc brakes are originals, the manufacturer is Ausco.

We still have some of the original parts.

Andy
Old 03-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #7
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post

Andy
Now you're getting veteran experience with the older stuff. No old timer jokes intended Andy. The part config might be different, but principles still apply.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:58 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
Quote:

Andy
I guess you haven't moved to Texas yet. How can I tell who is the mgf of the brakes (or what type)? Are they labeled somewhere? I assume brake parts are listed on your website, but don't have time to look right now before work.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:15 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I guess you haven't moved to Texas yet. How can I tell who is the mgf of the brakes (or what type)? Are they labeled somewhere? I assume brake parts are listed on your website, but don't have time to look right now before work.
All you can do is look for labels.

Or, send or post a photo.

We do not show all of our parts on our web site.

Andy
Old 04-16-2013, 05:18 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
Quote:
All you can do is look for labels.

Or, send or post a photo.

We do not show all of our parts on our web site.

Andy
Andy, Yes, I found the label Ausco. I will probably need to replace rubber boot and rings in each of four calipers. Also, want to put new disc pads on. I probably should replace the flex brake lines (they have a unique 90 deg end). One rotor will need replacement (or turned).
I am wondering if I should replace these out of production calipers with newer brands?
Old 04-26-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
I am wondering now, if I am going to be forced to abandon the existing Dexter actuator and hydraulic accessories and revert to electric brakes. I have exhausted all local brake shops, and apparently even Andy is having problems locating pads for the AUSCO brake calipers that are presently on the trailer. I wanted to stay with the system I now have, but it's camping time and I can't wait much longer. I guess I will be looking at $400 for electric assemblies with new hubs for my two new Dexter axles. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I am wondering now, if I am going to be forced to abandon the existing Dexter actuator and hydraulic accessories and revert to electric brakes. I have exhausted all local brake shops, and apparently even Andy is having problems locating pads for the AUSCO brake calipers that are presently on the trailer. I wanted to stay with the system I now have, but it's camping time and I can't wait much longer. I guess I will be looking at $400 for electric assemblies with new hubs for my two new Dexter axles. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
I am not having problems locating, but I am having problems getting it done in a reasonable timely manner.

We will in 2 to 3 weeks, once again have the original type disc brake pads.

10 minutes later.

Oops. Just got off the phone, placing the pad order.

We will have them in 10 days, or less.

Andy
Old 04-26-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
Thanks Andy.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:11 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
Andy, What's the latest word on the brake pads ?
Old 05-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #15
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
You can get Kodiak disc brakes to replace the obsolete system you now have. The actuator is the single most expensive part of the system, and you already have it.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy, What's the latest word on the brake pads ?
Received an update for delivery to us on May 13 or 14.

Of course orders can be placed ahead of that time, if someone wishes.

Andy
Old 05-10-2013, 05:41 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1979 29' Ambassador
west monroe , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
You can get Kodiak disc brakes to replace the obsolete system you now have. The actuator is the single most expensive part of the system, and you already have it.
Thanks Overlander.

I've tried to do some reading about the Kodiak conversion. No brake places around this town seems to have any information to offer about Kodiak. My fear was that I would order a bunch of stuff that wouldn't fit. This brake thing is beginning to wear on me
So, Andy has found a supplier for the AUSCO disc pads and, if his prices are reasonable, I'll go this route. However, my concern is future problems with these antiquated brakes and getting parts and someone to service them.
For future reference, would you have any idea what Kodiak calipers part numbers would fit onto my 1979 Ambassador? I have new Dexter axles purchased from Andy a couple of years ago.
Thanks, John
Old 05-10-2013, 05:44 AM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Thanks Overlander.

I've tried to do some reading about the Kodiak conversion. No brake places around this town seems to have any information to offer about Kodiak. My fear was that I would order a bunch of stuff that wouldn't fit. This brake thing is beginning to wear on me
So, Andy has found a supplier for the AUSCO disc pads and, if his prices are reasonable, I'll go this route. However, my concern is future problems with these antiquated brakes and getting parts and someone to service them.
For future reference, would you have any idea what Kodiak calipers part numbers would fit onto my 1979 Ambassador? I have new Dexter axles purchased from Andy a couple of years ago.
Thanks, John
I can call my Kodiak distributor when I get to the office, and get the part numbers. You could even get them direct from them, they are Portsmouth Trailer Supply, in Chesapeke, Virginia. If you call, tell them you need the 12" conversion kits for two axles. The only additional thing you would need are brake hoses. IIRC, I use 10 or 12 inch hoses.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #19
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Overlander.

Thanks, John
John.

We have provided the Kodiak disc's for sometime, and with no issues.

They will fit your new axles just fine.

Complete kits are available.

Most parts are still available for the original Airstream disc brakes.

You can, if you wish, change out the actuator at this point and then see what happens down the road for the rest of the system.

Some owners have chosen to replace the actuator first, and then the calipers at a later date, or when needed.

Andy
Old 05-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Here is your part number:
2/HRCM-12-E